Open rocket in windows 8?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxitout

Reaction score
Well, I finally upgraded from my old computer to a new one, and had to download Open rocket again. But, I can't find in, and it tells me I need some type of application to open the "jar" file. Anyone help out here? I'm only semi-computer literate. Phil L.

Or get a compression utility like zip, or my favorite is 7-Zip.

The .jar files is a zipped file with different extension. This is done because it usually contains source files. Tiger's advice about installing java is excellent. You will probably need the java installed to run the program anyway. Even if you uncompress it with zip, you will probably need the java to run the program. The Java will also uncompress the file.

while technically you can unzip a .jar file like openrocket, unless you're a developer, there's never really a good reason to do this

Well, I do have 7-zip here, and I downloaded Java, (I think....), and I still can't figure out how to get Open rocket to open and run. Any ideas? Sigh....

if you have installed java, then double clicking the jar should execute it. if not, right click the .jar file and check out its properties. make sure the "opens with" is set to the java platform you installed.

Or get a compression utility like zip, or my favorite is 7-Zip.

The .jar files is a zipped file with different extension. This is done because it usually contains source files. Tiger's advice about installing java is excellent. You will probably need the java installed to run the program anyway. Even if you uncompress it with zip, you will probably need the java to run the program. The Java will also uncompress the file.

There is absolutely no reason to unzip the jar. There are better ways to get at the source code.

Just install a Java Runtime Environment.

I got Java installed, it works! Gotta love it when a plan comes together. :) Thanks for the help, everybody! Phil L.

Back