My Cats And Rockets.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polydactyl Cats are good in my Book. They usually have very unique personalities. My Brother had one that would use its large Paws to push Cups out of his Sink, and off of the Counter to have them smash on his Kitchen Floor.

Ironically, after we lost Slate, we adopted 2 cats only to discover I am allergic to cats. Very weird that I never had a reaction in the 8 years that we owned her. Hypoallergenic cat? Did I just adapt to her? Dunno. But I did get a battery of tests to confirm that I am indeed allergic to cats (severe reaction), dogs (moderate reaction) and some types of (tree) pollen. Anyway, the allergy treatments didn't work so we found a friend to re-adopt the two cats. At least we know they are being taken care of. We now, unfortunately, live in a pet free home.

She was gorgeous. I've had so many cats. So of course I've dealt with losses. But I simply wait until it does not hurt anymore (or as bad) and then head for a shelter and find another (often a Polydactyl) that needs a forever home. Somehow one, one day, generally just 'knows'. And we go home.

Polydactyl Cats are good in my Book. They usually have very unique personalities. My Brother had one that would use its large Paws to push Cups out of his Sink, and off of the Counter to have them smash on his Kitchen Floor.

My cat started doing that when he was a kitten. He'd rather drink the contents off the floor than out of the cup. :facepalm:

You're all making me very homesick for my cat, who I haven't seen in five weeks and I hear is missing me terribly . My son should be discharged from the hospital in the next day or so. Can't wait to get home!

The Mother of all of my Cats is Sleeping on the Couch, and her Tail is doing funny Twitches and things.
I like to belive that she is communicatin' with her Kittens, which thankfully are all inside.
She's good at controlling the rest of them. It's tough having eight Cats, but thanks to the Rafters and the "Cat Shelfs" I have, they are able to willingly come in from the Cold. They like to get up High, on their Perches.

They like to get up High, on their Perches.

Yeah, cats think/move in three dimensions. Dogs in only two.

Finally got the pictures of one of my favorite cats, Mister Blue Sky.

As a kitten:

bluekitt.jpg

And as an adult:

bluebw.jpg

The second one is one of the two best photos I think I've ever taken. Both are of this cat. They were both shot in available light, zoom macro lens opened up all the way, color ISO400 film, Minolta 35mm frame. It wasn't until I scanned the pictures into my computer and converted them to black and white that I realized how good they are. With an iris opened up all the way, the depth of field (the area in focus) drops to a very short distance. In both of these photos, only the cat's eyes are in focus; the tip of his nose and ears are out of focus.

Here's "daddys little girl", Carrera. She's a pound save that turned out to be purebred Maine Coon:

CarreraPilotChute.jpg

Carrera loves to play with our parachutes, like she's doing with my wife's pilot chute. They are apparently great fun to dive into!

She has no interest in rocket parts, but get a Fruity Chute within her reach, and she will joyfully hunt and kill it. :)

All the best, James

This is our Turkish Angora Oliver. He never plays with the rockets or parts but always wants to be in the middle of things!
I set everything up to bond a few reloads for an upcoming launch and he is there waiting to help!

Our newest addition is Mikko. He has shown no interest in rockets yet! He spends most of the day sleeping when he is not running around like a lunatic.

Sorry for the crappy iphone photos.

Oliver1.jpg

Mikko.jpg

Love the B+W of Mister Blue Sky!

...and the photo of Mikko is just too cute.

All the best, James

More Blue:

this is the second really good picture I took. Same settings. Shot on film, wish I could afford a DSLR. I really like the flexibility of my old Minolta SLR film camera.

bluebw2.jpg

Blue passed away several years ago. He was a great cat, probably one of my best.

This is my current cat. I found two kittens abandoned by their mother under my back steps. This is the only one I could catch. His name is Rusty.

As a kitten (a few days after I found him...)

rustykit.jpg

and looking cute...

rustykit2.JPG

one of his favorite toys...

rustychew.jpg

happy cat...

Rusty smiling 2sm.JPG

He's a fully grown young adult cat now (a little over 4 years). I put off having him neutered for a long time. When I did, his weight really ballooned up. He used to tear the house up, chasing after the laser pointer dot. Now he just sits there and looks at it. He also goes under the bed to sleep. Not a problem, except that he *snores*.

You are obviously quite good at caring for Cats. I gotta' shout out some Respect for that.
They go outside, which can be such a bad Environment for them. They can Clash with other Animals, or can be set upon by Eagles or Brave Owls and large Hawks.
One of mine, Mister Whisker, once came inside with his Side sliced open for four Inches.
I applied the large Neosporin Despenser to his Wound, and kept him in my Arms til' Monday came and the Vet Opened, to hold the Skin Flap on him and prevent Shock or Infection.
Cost me $890.00, but he came out of it ok, and after they removed the Stitches, he was back to his old self.
I thought he'd hate me for what I did to dress his Wound from Saturday til' Monday, when no Vets were open, but he was fixed up good and Forgived me.
I live in the Sticks, so if my Animals get hurt on a Weekend, it is nearly impossible to get a Vet. My Dog once got an Ear infection on a Weekend when I was Home from Treatment at the VA, and I had to drive her nearly 60 Miles to get a Vet, and that too was a couple of Hundred Dollars.

Vermont is nice and all, but it's very Backwoodsy, and 911 or stuff like that is never a good Option, you pretty much need to fend for yourself.
I don't mind paying to have these Awesome Friends, but man oh man it can be Rough sometimes.
One of my Cats a few Years ago came up on the Porch with part of one of its Rear Legs Missing.
This is really hard for me to even talk about, so please don't correct my Grammar, or ask me to tell you about how it was.
The Cat, whose name I will keep to myself, incase anyone wants to soil this Thread, came up on my Porch with more of his Rear Right Leg missing than could ever be replaced, and it was right after I spent $900.00 on my Dog and one of my other Cats.
He had been gone for days before showing up all emaciated and with his messed up Leg.
I took him outside and removed his Head promptly with my Shotgun, but it was very Traumatic to me.
I just don't kill things anymore, but that Cat, in that Condition, was only coming Home to be Put Down.
I carried hi inside at first, and gave him some Food. Then I called my Mom to try to get some kind of Support or Hope, but she, being a Pretty Rough Individual pretty toughened and hardened Person, just coldly told me to go put the Cat Down
In retrospect, it was the propper Decision, as even if the Cat had Vet Care, they would have to take away what was left of its Leg, and that would also likely force it to endure a lot of being Scared or Pain.
I made the decision like I made Decisions in Iraq, and that was why it is pretty Traumatic to me.
Not trying to depress anyone in the "Cats Are Great" Thread, but I kinda' just had to mention what happenend and how hard it can be to care for these great small Cute Animals.

Last edited:
I'm totally a Softy for Kitties, am sorry for mentioning what happened to one of mine, but they are a demanding Pet, and I would like to think that I'm not the only guy who ever had to put a Pet down, no matter how tough it was.
I'm just awful at Killing anything anymore.
The Cats sometimes bring in Mice. I used to be so quick to smash them with my Feet, wheather I was wearing Shoes/Slippers or Barefoot.
Now, I've actually been so much caring about things, even the Mice.
Perhaps I'm a Good Guy afterall!!!! I certainly try my Heart out to have good Karma!

More Blue:

this is the second really good picture I took. Same settings. Shot on film, wish I could afford a DSLR. I really like the flexibility of my old Minolta SLR film camera.

View attachment 161429

Blue passed away several years ago. He was a great cat, probably one of my best.

This is my current cat. I found two kittens abandoned by their mother under my back steps. This is the only one I could catch. His name is Rusty.

As a kitten (a few days after I found him...)

And ofcourse, Rusty looks very loveable too.

View attachment 161433

and looking cute...

View attachment 161434

one of his favorite toys...

View attachment 161435

happy cat...

View attachment 161436

He's a fully grown young adult cat now (a little over 4 years). I put off having him neutered for a long time. When I did, his weight really ballooned up. He used to tear the house up, chasing after the laser pointer dot. Now he just sits there and looks at it. He also goes under the bed to sleep. Not a problem, except that he *snores*.

Blue so looks like my Cats "Meow-a-Cat" and "Little Grey".
They are both Shorthairs that are all Gray, and they both exhibit some Proudness when they get their Pic's taken.
I would not dare attempt to take any Glory away from how amazing Mister Blue Sky is.
I'm sorry that he has left you, but he was obviously quite Loved, which is what matters.

You are obviously quite good at caring for Cats. I gotta' shout out some Respect for that.
They go outside, which can be such a bad Environment for them. They can Clash with other Animals, or can be set upon by Eagles or Brave Owls and large Hawks.
One of mine, Mister Whisker, once came inside with his Side sliced open for four Inches.
I applied the large Neosporin Despenser to his Wound, and kept him in my Arms til' Monday came and the Vet Opened, to hold the Skin Flap on him and prevent Shock or Infection.
Cost me $890.00, but he came out of it ok, and after they removed the Stitches, he was back to his old self.
I thought he'd hate me for what I did to dress his Wound from Saturday til' Monday, when no Vets were open, but he was fixed up good and Forgived me.
I live in the Sticks, so if my Animals get hurt on a Weekend, it is nearly impossible to get a Vet. My Dog once got an Ear infection on a Weekend when I was Home from Treatment at the VA, and I had to drive her nearly 60 Miles to get a Vet, and that too was a couple of Hundred Dollars.

Vermont is nice and all, but it's very Backwoodsy, and 911 or stuff like that is never a good Option, you pretty much need to fend for yourself.
I don't mind paying to have these Awesome Friends, but man oh man it can be Rough sometimes.
One of my Cats a few Years ago came up on the Porch with part of one of its Rear Legs Missing.
This is really hard for me to even talk about, so please don't correct my Grammar, or ask me to tell you about how it was.
The Cat, whose name I will keep to myself, incase anyone wants to soil this Thread, came up on my Porch with more of his Rear Right Leg missing than could ever be replaced, and it was right after I spent $900.00 on my Dog and one of my other Cats.
He had been gone for days before showing up all emaciated and with his messed up Leg.
I took him outside and removed his Head promptly with my Shotgun, but it was very Traumatic to me.
I just don't kill things anymore, but that Cat, in that Condition, was only coming Home to be Put Down.
I carried hi inside at first, and gave him some Food. Then I called my Mom to try to get some kind of Support or Hope, but she, being a Pretty Rogh Individual pretty toughened and hardened Person, just coldly told me to go put the Cat Down
In retrospect, it was the propper Decision, as even if the Cat had Vet Care, they would have to take away what was left of its Leg, and that would also likely force it to endure a lot of being Scared or Pain.
I made the decision like I made Decisions in Iraq, and that was why it is pretty Traumatic to me.
Not trying to depress anyone in the "Cats Are Great" Thread, but I kinda' just had to mention what happenend and how hard it can be to care for these great small Cute Animals.

Brought a tear to my eye(s).

You, sir, are a person with a great heart.

All the best, James

I hate that that happened. I know how hard it is to make that sort of decision. Have to know it was for the best.

Natasha (Sister of Boris) on the left. DSH Gray Tabby Polydactyl.
Tootsie Pie the right. DSH Classic Tabby Polydactyl

IMG_6765.jpg

50% more Natasha Free! You can see her 'thumb'. Freaks some people out.

6-July-05-Natashae-In-Window-0006.jpg

Last edited:
Talkin' about it made me spend less time here on the Site, but thanks to some great Weather, I was able to go outside with my Dog and go Hiking through the Snow a few times over the Weekend, and I'm thoroughly purged of my sadness.
Also went to Petco a couple Days ago and re-upped on Treats and Foods. :)

My Cats love the Fact that my Modem doubles as a Heated Pillow.

Or maybe they just can't seem to get a good WiFi Signal???

I carried hi inside at first, and gave him some Food. Then I called my Mom to try to get some kind of Support or Hope, but she, being a Pretty Rough Individual pretty toughened and hardened Person, just coldly told me to go put the Cat Down

He Rests with a Propper Marker, and will not be forgotten.

Back