Fin Alignment On A Tailcone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Evil

Reaction score
I've "eyeballed" some smaller tailcone finned rockets in the past but would prefer something more exact for this rocket as the upper fins will be aligned to the lowers (Wildman Eagle Claw). This build will touch or maybe exceed mach if I can keep it light enough.

Any good ideas? I'm open to adhesive options/plans as well, Proline 4500,Proline 4100, JB Weld Marine, CA Glue and bubble gum on hand in abundance.

EDIT: I've got some ideas on how to do this, just asking to see if there's a smarterer way to do it out there.

Last edited:
I haven't done FG yet, but LPR techniques should work. I would use a fin alignment fixture to attach the front (larger) fins. Maybe before the tailcone is installed. Then clamp a piece of aluminum angle to each side of a front fin. They must be long enough to reach past the rear fin. Slide the rear fin between the angles. Clamp and glue.
Hope this helps.

Mike

foamcore poster board. Scribe a circle a little smaller than the body tube and then cut fins slots. Slide over back of transition.

Does the Eagle Claw kit not come with the body tube and tailcone slotted for TTW fins? I've only ever built the GLR Talon rocket that the 'eagle claw' is blatantly ripped off of (ok that's not fair, i've seen one, and I cloned it using PML parts and now using wildman fiberglass parts). I can't imagine building that without TTW fins.

On my mini eagle claw I used the alignment template that ships with the Blackhawk 38 .

Also used proline 4500 to "double butter" the fins root edgss and with mounting the tailcone.

Kenny

I think the best bet is through the wall. Line the fins up against the motor tube then cut slots through the tail cone to fit over it.

Kevin

Thanks for your input Guys,

It's a pre-slotted kit pretty much ready to "glue" together. There's no instructions but it seems that in order to get all the internal fillets applied, the tail cone, bottom fins, retainer and the motor mount need to get put together first.

...Pre-Post EDIT: All this talk about fin alignment got me thinking about my long lost Crapien/Endeavour fin thingy that I made. Low and behold, I FOUND THE DARN THING!!!

The curvature of the tail cone concerns me a little (the reason I posted to begin with) but I think this just might work (again).

Fin Align 1.jpgFin Align 2.jpg

I'll build "Blog" this in another thread once I've moved along a little further.

While printed out instructions don't come with a kit, Wildman does have instructions as a PDF that is available from the product page. I just checked and both versions of the Eagle Claw have instructions.

Yeah...but...but... :pc: anybody see what I do?

https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/ProductDetail.aspx?product=2894

And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...

No worries, just lookin' for ideas better then mine, 'cause they usually are:eek:

So far it's looking like a three day-er to get the back fins on. Proline 4500 or JB Weld for the first fin to MMT adhesion. One fin per morning after work.Time's a-plenty...for the time being.

Well, I botched that one. I am building the Wildchild and it has very detailed instructions. I guess I hadn't thought much about that size if rocket.

Well, I botched that one. I am building the Wildchild and it has very detailed instructions. I guess I hadn't thought much about that size if rocket.

Happens to me all the time.

You're right about the Wildman instructions though, if they're there, they're really good.

Yeah...but...but... :pc: anybody see what I do?

https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/ProductDetail.aspx?product=2894

And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...

No worries, just lookin' for ideas better then mine, 'cause they usually are:eek:

Ya' back with us buddy?:bat::drool::bat:

Back