Semi-Scale RIM-66 Standard Missile Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickT

Reaction score
Hey all,
This is my first build thread, and I decided to do it on one of my newest designs (The first one that I have actually built). I'm building a semi-scale RIM-66 Standard Missile, with and Estes BT-60 for the main body tube. Again, this is my first build thread, so if you guys have any advice, that would be great!

Here is how it looks in RockSim:
Screen Shot 2013-12-08 at 3.41.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-12-08 at 3.41.31 PM.png

The body tube (cut to size) and nose cone (That's an 18-inch ruler):

photo 1.jpg

This is the 24mm MM:
photo 4.jpg

I was really debating whether to go with an 18mm or 24mm MMT, so I decided why not both?! This is the picture of the adapter that I designed to fit into the 24mm MMT. It actually fits better than I thought!
photo 5.jpg

This is the MM with the adapter and an 18mm C6-5 I had lying around:
photo 2-2.jpg

And here is the MM with a burned-out D in it (You can't see the orange spacer behind it that allows E-size MMTs to be able to fly the shorter D's, so I can fly Es also):
photo 3.jpg

I'll have more pics coming soon,

Thanks,
NickT

Last edited:
I just installed the Motor Mount into the sustainer. I recessed it back an inch to accommodate a planned semi-scale Mk12 booster (see below) The balsa I used for the fins was pretty bad, so there was a lot of cracks and splinters, so I am in the process of layering all of them with a wallboard joint compound. I've used it in the past, and it fills holes nicely and takes paint well.

Here is the body tube and installed Motor Mount:
IMG_1183.jpg

And the fins:
IMG_1184.jpg

And here are some RockSim diagrams of the rocket with planned Mk12 booster:
Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 5.18.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 5.18.28 PM.png

I should get the fins done and ready for attachment by the end of the week.

Thanks,
NickT

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 10.55.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 10.55.18 AM.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 10.55.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 10.55.58 AM.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Thanks for all the support!

I had enough time today to sand the main fins and get them attached to the body tube. I also got the last bit of joint compound on the upper fins, and I should have those done by Friday. I decided to try attaching the fins using the Estes fin alignment guide. I have used it before on my Astron Elliptic II, but I haven't used it on the four-fin setting. When they are set, I'll post some pictures.

As of now, Here's how it looks:
photo 1.jpg
photo 2-1.jpg

Thanks,
Nick

I've never gotten that thing to work. I just eyeball it. Guess I be just too dumb.
:wink: :roll:

Great job so far!

So I finally got the upper fins sanded and attached. There are still a few small holes and chinks in the fins, but I can fill that with wood putty or primer later down the road. I couldn't figure out how to get the fins to stay perpendicular to the body tube, so I used a little backyard engineering and came up with this:
IMG_1490.jpg
I used the little plastic clips from the Estes Fin alignment guide and taped their flat side along the main fins, and placed it up alongside the upper fins.
I do have a decision to make, and I would love somebody's input. I discovered a shorter BT-60 nosecone from my Estes Patriot Missile (Which happens to be my favorite rocket in the fleet), which is more accurate to the shape of the nose cone on a real Standard Missile. However, I would have to sand the paint off, and it also means that I can't launch my Patriot anymore! The longer nose cone is not painted, and it represents the height of the rocket more accurately to the full-scale Standard Missile, but it is much longer, and it brings the CP forward, meaning I would have to add nose weight. Any input would be great!

The longer nose cone:
IMG_1487.jpg

And the shorter one:
IMG_1488.jpg

Thanks
Nick

I've never gotten that thing to work. I just eyeball it. Guess I be just too dumb.
:wink: :roll:

Great job so far!

I'm with you there Jeff. The Rocketry Industry would benefit greatly from a new, more Precise Fin Mounting Jig. I got one and then realized that I demand a higher degree of perfection. It's like I used it, then had to Eyeball it to make it right. Why even use it in the first place if it's crap.

I do have a decision to make, and I would love somebody's input. I discovered a shorter BT-60 nosecone from my Estes Patriot Missile (Which happens to be my favorite rocket in the fleet), which is more accurate to the shape of the nose cone on a real Standard Missile. However, I would have to sand the paint off, and it also means that I can't launch my Patriot anymore! The longer nose cone is not painted, and it represents the height of the rocket more accurately to the full-scale Standard Missile, but it is much longer, and it brings the CP forward, meaning I would have to add nose weight. Any input would be great!
Perhaps Semroc or Fliskits can supply a suitable size nose cone? If you need to lengthen the body tube to make the model's height correct with a shorter nose cone, you could cut the tube just forward of the centre strakes and insert a suitable size piece of tube with two couplers.

As for the Estes fin alignment jig, the way I've used it is to mark the tube, glue the fins on, put the rocket on the jig and eyeball it to get the fins straight, then the jig holds them all in place while the glue dries. It's not as nice as a precisely aligned jig, but it's better than having to glue one fin one at a time without support to hold it.

The NC-60A nose cone pack has 2 similar to the Patriot, and 2 elliptical gooney style. They are about $7 plus shipping from fleabay, Jonrocket, UncleMikes, and many other online dealers.

The NC-60A nose cone pack has 2 similar to the Patriot, and 2 elliptical gooney style. They are about $7 plus shipping from fleabay, Jonrocket, UncleMikes, and many other online dealers.

I was thinking about ordering one from the Estes site, as they have delivered pretty quick in the past.

If I do extend the body tone, I might make a small payload bay for an altimeterTwo. Regarding the Fin Alignment Guide, I also use the "Eyeball" method to get them aligned, then I use the guide to keep them still while the glue dries.

Thanks,
Nick

Back