Dupli-Color Metalcast Ground Coat

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eyeguy41

Reaction score
Question about the ground coat before the Metalcast color paint.
After preping and priming I have applied a coat of the ground coat and it seems to have a "Fuzzy" metallic sheen (for lack of a better way to describe it). It is definitely a metal flake look, which is what I was looking for, but I am unsure if it should have that fuzzy look or should I dust it off before I apply the color coat? This is my first time using this paint combination and would rather ask the experts than have to do it all over again. I hate sanding just as much as the next guy!
Thanks.

Are you using it on metal ?
For me it was a disappointing paint. But like the Can reads, it is for chrome or shiny metal surfaces. Figured it was worth a can to try.

I am using it on PVC (Badd Azz Thresher).
Did a really good job of priming and sanding down to 1000 grit wet sand. Finish was smooth as glass. This is the most prep I have done to a rocket so far. Didn't want to screw up all the hard work.

I have used the paint with and without the ground coat. When I used the ground coat, I sanded down the fuzzies. The can didn't say to do so but if you don't, the top coat will have the texture on it for sure. I had pretty good luck with the blue and the red colors. Good luck. hope this was what you were looking for.

I used purple.
I did not sand it down as I thought the top coat would take care of it.
Wrong.
It turned out very rough and sanding did nothing but make it worse.
I've been sanding off the top coat on and off for the last couple of epochs.
Stuff is tough to get off.

Nothing I saw on the web (which was very little) said you need to sand it, but as mentioned our use on rocketry relate materials is probably pushing it.

Definitely sand it down to get it nice and smooth.
Then it looks like a very thin top coat, but just guessing.

Bones

Back