Aerotech enlarged aft closure?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nute

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I just got back from a day of flying, and one of my flights was an Aerotech H210. I recently ordered a 29/360 reload case, and am crazy excited to fly an H268 in it. However, I noticed that in the directions for the H210 (which is the same for the H268) that it said something about an enlarged aft closure and nozzle with that motor. There is no rush with this, but now I'm confused because after doing some hunting around I couldn't find one for sale anywhere :confused2:

Where can I get it?
is it included with something?
how much is it?
is it neccesary? (I assume it is)

Thanks,
Nate

Hey everyone,
I just got back from a day of flying, and one of my flights was an Aerotech H210. I recently ordered a 29/360 reload case, and am crazy excited to fly an H268 in it. However, I noticed that in the directions for the H210 (which is the same for the H268) that it said something about an enlarged aft closure and nozzle with that motor. There is no rush with this, but now I'm confused because after doing some hunting around I couldn't find one for sale anywhere :confused2:

Where can I get it?
is it included with something?
how much is it?
is it neccesary? (I assume it is)

Thanks,
Nate

You will almost never find a non-enlarged aft closure anymore for 29. I personally have seen only one, ever, and it was Dr. Rocket.

The same is not necessarily true of 38mm: about half the closures I've seen from Dr. Rocket are small (and thus won't work with J's and other high-thrust motors, but none from Rouse-Tech so far as I know.

EDIT: More explanation: There are multiple sizes of nozzles in AT's 29 and 38mm system. Incidentally, they are shared between the two. 29/360 motors, 38mm Warp-9 core-burners, and 38mm J motors all use the larger size nozzle. However, nozzles of both sizes work just fine in the larger closures, so the smaller design was phased out and you can't get them new anymore.

Last edited:
All you have to do is take a unibit in a drill press and enlarge the hole until the nozzle fits
. I have done about a dozen of my closures that way.

You will almost never find a non-enlarged aft closure anymore for 29. I personally have seen only one, ever, and it was Dr. Rocket.

The same is not necessarily true of 38mm: about half the closures I've seen from Dr. Rocket are small (and thus won't work with J's and other high-thrust motors, but none from Rouse-Tech so far as I know.

EDIT: More explanation: There are multiple sizes of nozzles in AT's 29 and 38mm system. Incidentally, they are shared between the two. 29/360 motors, 38mm Warp-9 core-burners, and 38mm J motors all use the larger size nozzle. However, nozzles of both sizes work just fine in the larger closures, so the smaller design was phased out and you can't get them new anymore.

Thanks so much, that really helps!
Is there any definitive way to find out if mine is or isn't before just trying it to find out?
would you happen to know the diameter of the enlarged closure?

Thanks,
Nate

All you have to do is take a unibit in a drill press and enlarge the hole until the nozzle fits
. I have done about a dozen of my closures that way.

Thank you,
if it turns out mine won't fit I will give that a shot before buying a new one.

Thanks,
Nate

Thanks so much, that really helps!
Is there any definitive way to find out if mine is or isn't before just trying it to find out?
would you happen to know the diameter of the enlarged closure?

Thanks,
Nate

https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/c...gs/29mm_hp_rms/29-100/29-100_g104t-s_assy.pdf

The above pdf depicts the small one: it has an additional step down.

https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/c...gs/29mm_hp_rms/29-360/29-360_h268r-m_assy.pdf

This shows the large one, which does not have a step down.

It's item number 2 in both drawings.

So that doesn't count as modifying the motor?
I believe it does count as modifying the motor, not to step on toes here, it would be best to contact Aerotech directly about this issue and see what they can do for you.

of my 6 29's only one is "small". You can see a small nozzle in a big hole works just fine. I believe all the rouse-tech are large.

9163927288_647bd1853a_c.jpg

As for what to do about a small.... Just drill it.

Thanks fir all the responses guys.
It looks like my closure is probably the larger one, so i may be able to avoid any modification

Thanks,
Nate

You will love the H268R. It is one heck of a motor.:D

Like the others have said, this reload uses the same large nozzle that the 38mm large I, J and Warp-9 motors use.

I flew one in my BSD Sprint - a 5 foot tall, 3 inch diameter rocket and it kicked it up to about 3,000 feet or so very quickly.

The I200W for that case is another awesome motor too.

I have a rather large collection of Dr Rockets hardware and all of the aft closures are the small ones.

When need I need a larger closure I use a modern one...either the Aerotech or the silver Monster...that I bought for that very reason.

I200w is a great motor and my crayon rocket loves them.

via Forumrunner/GS4

It certainly would, and no hazmat shipping required either!

Thats what I really love about AT 29's. I can grab a few on a whim without having to plan it all out in a mass order a year in advance.

That really sucks, all my 29mm hardware is Dr. Rocket from 2001 and prior. Will have to purchase a new aft closure.

I take that back, it appears I have two of the larger aft 29mm closures. Are the need for larger 38mm aft closure a new thing, as I have flown the J350 but was back in 2000. Are the nozzles larger in newer kits?

Last edited:
I believe it's just on the 360 motors. Above in my photo that's a G77R in a 29/120 case. You can see the gap between the nozzle and the aft closure.

The 29/360 motor always came with a large hole closure. The nozzle is the same as used in the J350. This size nozzle was introduced with the J350 in 1996, along with the large hole 38 mm closure.

Since I do not own the proper tools to do this myself, what are the odds that I could hire someone to open up my old aft closure for less than it would cost for a new one???

Back