Super Dx3 Junior level 1 Cert.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically I need to do some more sanding on the fillets and get the rest if equipment such as the parachute and aero pack retainer and I will be ready to launch. I am going to order some 1/4" plywood to finish up the nosecone.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Tonight I sanded and roughed up the inside of the nosecone and measures out 100grams of nose weight and epoxied it in. I picked up some filler primer today so I can paint tommorrow. I also ran to lowes and picked up a u-bolt for the nosecone and I think I have a 4'' circle cutter around so I can cut out the bulkhead for the nose come as well.

I cut out the bulkhead for the nosecone with the 4" circle cutter. It took a lot of sanding to get it to the right size. I attached the u bolt and epoxied it in the nose come.ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1397917506.220792.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1397917524.370932.jpg

Using the rest of the epoxy I applied a nice fillet to make it look nice.ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1397917629.826530.jpg

I am waiting for it to warm up outside and I am going to start priming it this after noon using this ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1397917687.322295.jpg

Primed and sanded the lower part and the nosecone. The body tube has a couple spots that need filling. Picture tomorrow morning.

Oops forgot to post the pictures :facepalm:

f094fc99-07ee-4f21-a30d-69dbe283ad3a.png8da2db4b-c5bd-4aa0-bbaf-907adf4bdafe.png

I have been sanding the nose cone and the body tube. I have to finish sanding the fins and fill in any imperfections then one more coat of primer.

haven't been able to get much done on this project. if it is nice out this weekend I will prime the payload bay. Last weekend was rainy so I couldn't do it then. I got my shear pins in the mail the other day. I also finished filling and sanding the lower half of the rocket.

I'm sure you've mentioned it before, but I'm too lazy to look. When are you planning on getting the cert?

Seems like your putting a lot of work in the finishing. I'll bet she'll look beautiful when all painted up!:)

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

I agree! Connor, you have put so much work into this project. You will have no problem getting your cert. I'm sure the rocket will be a workhorse.

I'm sure you've mentioned it before, but I'm too lazy to look. When are you planning on getting the cert?

Seems like your putting a lot of work in the finishing. I'll bet she'll look beautiful when all painted up!:)

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

Thanks I plan on flying it at URRF in The end of June. I really want this to look nice so I am putting a lot of work into the finish.

I agree! Connor, you have put so much work into this project. You will have no problem getting your cert. I'm sure the rocket will be a workhorse.

Thanks Cody I agree this is going to be one heck of a rocket to fly!

Well this weekend wasn't that nice and I wasn't able to finish the priming. hopefully next week will be a little nicer out.

I ordered a 48" chute today from somebody on the forum. It is raining this whole weekend so no painting. Going to order the aeropack today and then I should be done after the paint:);)

Sands sanded and sanded some more. Things are starting to look really good.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1399748181.968340.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1399748206.136472.jpg

All the sanding is paying off. Looks like a nice smooth surface for the paint.

It is definitely starting to look better thanks:):)

I just ordered the aeropack from apogee should be here Wednesday.

Got a 12X12 black nomex blanket off of ebay so now I pretty much have everything I need for this build minus the paint:)

Last edited:
ordered the green and black paint which will be here Thursday. I primed the payload bay a little yesterday but ran out of rattle can primer I will shoot the whole thing with some dupli-color primer this weekend. should be finishing this up just in time.

Got a 12X12 black nonexistent blanket off of ebay so now I pretty much have everything I need for this build minus the paint:)

What is a "nonexistent blanket" ? :confused2: Possibly a Nomex blanket?
I think this may be a case of auto correct being terribly wrong. :grin:

Got a 12X12 black nonexistent blanket off of ebay so now I pretty much have everything I need for this build minus the paint:)

Man I wished you let me know, I have been trying to get rid of my nonexistent blanket for a while now. It's a little larger than 12 by 12 but it would still work just fine in a DX3.

Man I wished you let me know, I have been trying to get rid of my nonexistent blanket for a while now. It's a little larger than 12 by 12 but it would still work just fine in a DX3.

I will give you 15 nonexistent dollars for it including shipping. Sound fair???:):):):)

Ok the rest of the stuff arrived for the build minus the chute which is coming today. I still don't understand why the aeropack is so expensive....

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1400264555.858392.jpg

Plan on painting tomorrow and Sunday:)

Ok the rest of the stuff arrived for the build minus the chute which is coming today. I still don't understand why the aeropack is so expensive....

View attachment 172133

Plan on painting tomorrow and Sunday:)

Considering the cost of a motor casing and what would result if the motor was kicked out instead of the parachute, I consider them cost effective. Plus the next time you build a rocket with a 38MM motor mount you only need to purchase a base unit. BTW Madcow sells the Aeropack retainers for less than Apogee does.

Considering the cost of a motor casing and what would result if the motor was kicked out instead of the parachute, I consider them cost effective. Plus the next time you build a rocket with a 38MM motor mount you only need to purchase a base unit. BTW Madcow sells the Aeropack retainers for less than Apogee does.

Good to know I actually got it for 16$ because I had store credit.

Finished sanding the nosecone and started spraying it green this morning. So far the green is a perfect match for the decals:):)

Finished spraying the nose come here are the results. I will wet sand tomorrow and the. Apply the clear. Also will be finishing the primer on the rest of it and then painting.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1400346674.807648.jpg

Back