Launch Towers - Possible source for Round Aluminum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XrayLizard

Reaction score
This may help your pocketbook and design goals.
depending on shipping.
note that it is telescoping, so you can use the next size down as a section-coupler.
it is also smooth and shiny and straight :)
I tested Shipping to Maine.. $25. for 6, 1" tubes. works out to about $10 total per Tube.

Word of advice - the guys who work at this place are Nice, but VERY Busy. There is only 2 of them.
So they don't have much time to ramble-talk, and won't.

https://www.texastowers.com/aluminum-6.htm

Without Googling, what's a Texas Tower?. Extra points if you're not from the East Coast and you know the answer.

Are those the towers I saw around Dallas and Fort Worth when I was there? they looked kind of like a water tower.

Or maybe a oil rig tower?

Are those the towers I saw around Dallas and Fort Worth when I was there? they looked kind of like a water tower.

Or maybe a oil rig tower?
Not even close.

Bob (from Salem, MA)

Radar platforms located off the east coast built in the '60's IIRC

I use these people for alum material to make mandrels and packing tools,,,,,,,,,
They've done well by me,,,,
Very fast shipping,,,,,
Just about any alloy,,,,
in any shape,,, form,,, or quantity.........
I like em..............

https://www.onlinemetals.com/index.cfm

Teddy

Onlinemetals.com is OK, when you cant find what you need...
and they will help you over the phone when needed, had a good experience on the phone with them.

I did a LOT better on some large pieces of Aluminum, on Ebay.
they were pieces like 12" x1" x24" and 6" x 1" by 48".

I built a dipole for 11 meters a while back. I found the heavy wall Aluminum at Home Depot for a very reasonable price.

A plug for your local businesses - Try the yellow pages before buying online or from the box stores.

I buy a fairly significant amount (~100 pounds/year) of a variety of metals (brass, 404 stainless, 6061 aluminum, steel) in many different formats - bar, rod, and various tube shapes. I buy it all from the local metal dealer - an outfit that's been in the same family for 50+ years, doesn't advertise, and has no webpage, but is by far the cheapest and most reliable source for metals. Anything I've needed they've either had on hand or ordered for me. They've done fabrication work for me, including plasma cutting and welding, and the work has always been as specified. They don't do machining.

They are busy, and have no time for idle chatter, so they might come off as a bit rude - but I don't care, because the quality is so high, the services offered outstanding, and the price very reasonable - and believe me, I've checked all the online metal suppliers. My distributor is routinely 20-50% below retail prices. If you pay cash or are willing to take drops (pieces already cut from longer stock), even better - the price goes down.

They also buy back the scrap.

Kevin

Back