Something different at HotRod Rockets. And free stuff!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotRod Rockets

Reaction score
I guess "Plans" section is the best place for this post?

Now for something different at HotRod Rockets. And free stuff! But you’ll have to read.

Time for a change, change is good, sometimes all I have in my pockets is... change.

Random Reasons for changes: (sort of a stream of consciousness, caffeine fueled rampage)

-I just have not had the time to do much rocketry -wise lately (like a year and a half).

-Other things have wrapped up much of my time. Not as much time to run a business, pack plastic bags with parts, print off instructions ship boxes bla bla bla. ( I know quit wining).

-Building rockets is FUN. Designing Kits is FUN. I want to have Fun!
It needs to stay fun.

-The Economy, well, it stinks. This certainly affects any hobby related business. No disposable income equals no extra hobby cash. So how do I work around this and get people launching rockets?

-Rocketry has to be accessible, (read cheap) so more people can get hooked.

So what the hell.... I'll make it closer to FREE! At least all my designs and plans and instruction and such.

Yes you read that right, free. No that's not a business model, it's a FUN model. Or is that modeling fun?

So here's the deal. Everything on the HotRod Rockets site will go Free. Now this change-over to total rocket freedom may go slowly, as I have the time. I also hope to add to the site some pages with tips, tricks and building ideas also.

As a bonus (to me) I will be able to add the big pile of designs I have not been able to bring to kit form yet.
Of note: Nothing on the HotRod Rockets site will be offered unless it is field tested, just like any HotRod product of the past.

Another bonus is all the parts vendors might get more orders.

Now for the Free Stuff part.

First design to go free is the Habenero. A mini motor kit (13mm). https://hotrodrockets.weebly.com
Now, I have in my HotRod basement workshop of Dooom..... lots of kits lying around. Lots of parts in boxes, ect.

So For Rocketry Forum Giveaway Number 1.
Free Habenero Kit in its glorious plastic bag. Don't expect anything fancy.
No instruction or other paperwork, down-load them from site.
First six Addresses in my Rocketry Forum “In Box” get a parts bag shipped to you free.

More to come as I get around to it. Now Get building!

Happy Rocketing!

https://https://hotrodrockets.weebly.com/

Last edited:
conman13
Did I pm you in time?
yes
-----------
blackbrandt
When is the next free thing?
For the Habenero the instructions, plan sets, parts list ect. are free. Look at it , down load it, gather your parts and build it. More to follow soon.

I have to follow and ask if mine got to you in time as well!

g-train

Was this the entire set of plans for the Habenero? (What's that mean, anyway?)
What do we need to do to see them all? I don't have the right vewing program, I fear.

Here's the list. Sending out today I think. via USPS.

Tiger
Conman13
EYEguy41
g-Train (great name)
Bigmike2k3
Rich Holmes
That is the quick six.
------:clap:

Agreed! Many Thanks! I've got some really cool ideas for the paint job on this one!!

6 way simultaneous build thread, anyone?

(Who am I kidding, we all have build piles up to here...)

6 way simultaneous build thread, anyone?

(Who am I kidding, we all have build piles up to here...)

You, kind sir, may have a build pile...however, I have a concept pile. Only 2 rockets on the table, atm.

g-train

I got mine today. Thanks it looks like a really solid kit.

Thanks, got mine today.
It will wind up under the tree and will launch soon after Santa heads back to the North Pole.
Thanks Again.

Guess I need to check the old P.O. Box, eh? Can't hardly remember to go check these days. Grew up with an old fashioned mail box at the end of the drive. Downloaded the . Pdf days ago!

g-train

Last edited:
I was looking at the Habanero instructions at https://hotrodrocketshop.com/HABfiles2013.html. There are links there for two pages of instructions. The first one says "p1" in the corner and covers "Step #1". The second one says "p3" in the corner (even though the link says "Page 2") and says "Your Habanero Packed and Ready for Launch!" I think there's a page missing in between!

Some Updates:
-Tons of Requests for kits to be posted, working on that.
- If I have any inventory for sale (NO) . Giving some away at launches this spring and summer.... maybe?

This time of year I work 6-7 days a week so anything Rocketry will crank up after Christmas.
Really still working out how to get all the plans up on site , organized ect.

If there is anything funky on the site ... well I 'll get it done as I go.

**Rich Holmes
Update to the Update:roll: Fixed it . Now all pages are there. Thank you.**

Kind of looks like the Buffalo may be the next thing posted after Christmas, but I have to work out how to do all this, with the greatest of ease. And get it done in the off season.

Now go build some rockets.

Last edited:
My Habanero showed up at last today! In looking the plans over, I see the shock cord is anchored externally to a fin on the outside. I'm curious about this design choice. Would it be possible to epoxy it on the inside instead? Or is the tube going to just be too cramped in there? Thanks again for this cute little guy!

what I did was make a small notch in the engine block and tied the Kevlar to that and glued it in. it worked great and all the shock cord and streamer fit.

I got my kit on Saturday and started in on it. I did the same as Conman and anchored it to the engine block. It seems that everything will still fit.

Anchoring the line to the Engine block works fine. That's how the original kits were done.

Reason I changed it: The short BT-5 tube is really tight on space. The Kevlar cord is really close to the ejection gasses and tends to burn through after a few flights. ... your mileage may vary.

Please note, any rocket I fly gets used and abused lot. Kids, schools, scouts and my own urge to launch as much as possible when I get the field time. So prototypes and personal rockets take a beating.

Hey where are the building photos?:gavel:

After my girlfriend saw how "little and cute" (her words) the Habenero was, she declared the rocket to be hers. So you'll have to wait on princess time for those build photos. And it may end up pink. :D

The name "Habenero" bugged me, because I thought it should be spelled "Habañero".

Some Googling shows I'm wrong; "habañero" is an English speakers' mis-rendering of the Spanish word "habanero" — no tilde. That word can refer to a native of Havana (which is La Habana in Spanish), or to a Cuban dance, as well as to the pepper, although the pepper doesn't come from Cuba.

"Habenero" appears to be a misspelling, perhaps a predominantly English one also — but a fairly common one. Google gives me about 298,000 hits for "habenero" (in quotes) vs. 2,120,000 for "habanero", 117,000 for "habañero", and 18,700 for "habeñero"... just to be complete about it. Merriam-Webster recognizes "habañero" as a variant of "habanero" but doesn't recognize "habenero". diccionario.elmundo.es recognizes only "habanero" (but not as the name of a pepper), not "habañero" or "habenero".

Well, I learned something. Pedantry over, for now.

Back