CJ's Black Sat. "JIMBO" Jart 4 in.DD in NC [or any Jart build!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used 15 ft. Attached to the loop from the eyebolt in metal tip.

Loop tied in shock cord 2-3ft from the tip for chute. I used a 40in recon wrapped burrito style in a 14in nomex.

The excess shock cord is placed in front of the chute/burrito as to aid in getting chute out clean. I 've had 8 launches so far, & everything has functioned flawlessly.
Thanks, that all makes sense. Ground tested that way with 1.2 g FFFF and deployment was perfect. Can't wait to fly it.
View attachment 173780View attachment 174060

Last edited:
I'm setting up my wildman with head end DD in this manner. I carefully set the. NC lightly on the coupler, marked it and glued the vent band on. After it set I checked it. Perfect slide right into place. A week later I drilled out the bulkplates and setup the av bay. Dropped the NC on for giggles and it slams hard with an 1/8" gap to the vent band.

Opps. Size the vent band with the bulkplates on. I feel like an idiot, but thought I'd let others learn from my experiance.

Last edited:
I'm setting up my wildman with head end DD in this manner. I carefully set the. NC lightly on the coupler, marked it and glued the vent band on. After it set I checked it. Perfect slide right into place. A week later I drilled out the bulkplates and setup the av bay. Dropped the NC on for giggles and it slams hard with an 1/8" gap to the vent band.

......aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh......@$!?\|&#8364;£¥~!<.. Damn. It....

Son of a..... Grrrrrrr where the hell are my files?

Yea. Size the vent band with the bulkplates on. I feel like an idiot, but thought I'd let others learn from my stupidity.

Just cut off the thickness of the bulkplate off the coupler.

Shouldn't be a big deal.

Just cut off the thickness of the bulkplate off the coupler.

Shouldn't be a big deal.

It's not, I just feel dumb for missing it. I'm calm and being a bit silly. I'm going to bevel the edge of the plate a bit, should be fine.

It's not, I just feel dumb for missing it. I'm calm and being a bit silly. I'm going to bevel the edge of the plate a bit, should be fine.
I did the same on all mine. Beveling the coupler edge with a disc sander works surprisingly well. Good luck with the build.

I just went back to that step & edited it for future use. Guess I dropped the ball on that one, but I did not have that problem.

Some else at a launch was describing the same issue, but no one else had mentioned it, so I let it go. Now fixed!:face palm:

THANK YOU DIZ FOR pointing that out.

Was this on the Jart or another Wildman rocket where you had issues?

Could be the difference in BP cut,& fit on other kits, but in any case including the BP with fitting will resolve the issue.

Last edited:
Wildman 3". I wasn't at all trying to toss blame at you, sorry if it sounded like it. I just ran into an issue and wanted to share. Likely the smaller nosecone causes the difference. This is really a cool, cool way to build a rocket, thanks very much for sharing it with us.

Wildman 3". I wasn't at all trying to toss blame at you, sorry if it sounded like it. I just ran into an issue and wanted to share. Likely the smaller nosecone causes the difference. This is really a cool, cool way to build a rocket, thanks very much for sharing it with us.

I fully understood where you were coming from. I did not think that at all, was just clarifying which kit you had issue with for others reading this.
Since many are referencing this thread to build the head end deploy for a variety of rockets, I wanted to make sure the BP recommendation was added to cover everyone.

Was this on the Jart or another Wildman rocket where you had issues?

Could be the difference in BP cut,& fit on other kits, but in any case including the BP with fitting will resolve the issue.

Or it could be due to the Wildman production variance, which is inversely proportional to the amount of Rumplemintz left in the bottle.

Geesh Chuck... the guy who drinks German Kerosene throwing stones!:lol:

On a different note, how about some shots of your Jimbo Jarts guys?

I know quite a few have been sold . I flown mine now about a dozen times. A breeze to prep & fly.... turn around times extremely quick.

Here' some of mine:

Sometimes flying longer motors than will fit... requires a little shoe-horn to get them in.

AT J-825 Red in the 1080 case.

DSCN2965.jpg DSCN2969.jpg

So a couple of masking tape shear pins to the rescue!

DSCN2970.jpg

We did a drag race at Red Glare this spring on 4 grain 54's we all used different propellants. Wildman....Me.....David Reese.

IMG_8177.jpg

Then again with Tim...Me.......Jason. This time we were "supposed" to all be using the same motors. BUT knowing Tim would cheat with a V-max, I started my White Thunder with some "pixie dust" & beat him off the line!!

IMG_0855 - Copy.jpgPicture 6.jpg

Now let's see some pictures of your built Jimbo Jarts!!

Here is mine.....naked :D

045-1.jpg

Hey CJ, that first pic is you, Wildman, and Cayemberg at Thunderstruck on J145SK-LBs. Here we are prepping in Tommy's backyard:

I was selfish and only shot a photo of mine during our drag race :D

Todd got some nice ones of my next flight on a 4 grain K600 blue.

And of course, the drag race with the pixie dust, a little bigger on the clickthrough:

Plus I flew mine today on a J350W. Did a really nice end-over-end flip on landing despite me upsizing to a 72" chute!
[youtube]xDw7rR40zZE[/youtube]
(Still haven't unpacked the camera after the move.)

I love this thing, it's so easy to prep. Gotta mix something for my 76mm 1, 1.5, or 2 grain cases for it next.

Plus I flew mine today on a J350W. Did a really nice end-over-end flip on landing despite me upsizing to a 72" chute!
[youtube]xDw7rR40zZE[/youtube]

Few mine today at same the location on a J449BS... I suppose it begs the question how was it we were not drag racing?:wink:
[video=youtube_share;cQuZ-6i-BLY]https://youtu.be/cQuZ-6i-BLY[/video]

Had a couple problems with recovery, can you guess what they were?
View attachment 180811

Yeah, the main stayed in the nose cone. Here's a closer look.
View attachment 180812

Never would expect that with the concave NC shape and all. You would figure once the bundle started on the way out it would just keep on sliding. Might of hung up a little on the nubs left from the shear pins. I also used a giant 18" nomex 'cause I have been scorching my 50" Recon with the 12" blanket and could not find a 14". I had the shock cord tucked forward of the main just like CJ suggests but that wasn't enough in this case. Just packed it too tight I guess.

Also, my drogue got really scorched; another malfeasance on my part.
View attachment 180813

Thought the blast shield would protect the drogue, but it looks like the backup charge nailed it good. Live and learn.:facepalm:

Now the cool part of all this was that even after landing on a melted drogue, my Jimbo Jart was still perfect; not a scratch! Ready to graduate from mildman 3G to 4G.

Last edited:
Man if I had flown this first instead of my Caliber we would have even been on the same rack! I gotta pay more attention next time :D (Granted you had a nice new CTI motor and I had a 4 year old J350W which took ages to light, so I would have been way behind the curve!)

4g motors at 10 paces sometime in the next few months?
IMG_3377.jpg

Of course, when I built mine, I had a little too much grog... combine that with some free epoxy from Al Gloer and... well... this happened:
IMG_3378.jpg

So no guarantees this won't be a Wildman rules race ;)

My first flight was on a J380SS. It was my first flight with redundant altimeters.

IMG_7948 Compressed.jpg IMG_7955 Compressed.jpg

After a couple of flights it earned its paint. I painted it red ( not to copy you Jim, it was a request). At LDRS I decided to fly it on a K513 black Jack.

IMG_8498 (2).jpg

I really like this rocket on smokies so I decided to go with a K530SS a week later at our club launch

IMG_8515 (2).jpg IMG_8521 (2).jpg

I have also flown it on J430 white.

IMG_8588 (2).jpg IMG_8590 (2).jpg

I see a K740 C-star in the future for the Jart.

4g motors at 10 paces sometime in the next few months?

Sounds good... something with lots of sparks and smoke? Just happen to have an AT K540M looking kinda bored in my box; if I could just get a hold of one of CJs "special sauce" starters.

Of course, when I built mine, I had a little too much grog... combine that with some free epoxy from Al Gloer and... well... this happened:
View attachment 180864

So no guarantees this won't be a Wildman rules race ;)

:y: K2000 Vmax!?

Yup... I'm in over my head... again

Few mine today at same the location on a J449BS... I suppose it begs the question how was it we were not drag racing?:wink:
[video=youtube_share;cQuZ-6i-BLY]https://youtu.be/cQuZ-6i-BLY[/video]

Had a couple problems with recovery, can you guess what they were?
View attachment 180811

Yeah, the main stayed in the nose cone. Here's a closer look.
View attachment 180812

Never would expect that with the concave NC shape and all. You would figure once the bundle started on the way out it would just keep on sliding. Might of hung up a little on the nubs left from the shear pins. I also used a giant 18" nomex 'cause I have been scorching my 50" Recon with the 12" blanket and could not find a 14". I had the shock cord tucked forward of the main just like CJ suggests but that wasn't enough in this case. Just packed it too tight I guess.

Also, my drogue got really scorched; another malfeasance on my part.
View attachment 180813

Thought the blast shield would protect the drogue, but it looks like the backup charge nailed it good. Live and learn.:facepalm:

Now the cool part of all this was that even after landing on a melted drogue, my Jimbo Jart was still perfect; not a scratch! Ready to graduate from mildman 3G to 4G.

I enjoyed the video.

It is really amazing how a fiberglass rocket can "bounce" and bounce back. My first flight on my 38mm Dark Jart I sorta forgot to attach the parachute :facepalm: (it was in Argonia last year and some people have never let me live it down....:smile:). Anyway, it separated just like it was supposed to do and came down drogue-less to 700' where the main charge fired and then kept falling all the way down to the ground. I went and got it and found the parachute all nicely folded up right next to it in the field. So I attached the parachute and sent it up again!

Needless to say, this year at Argonia I'll be double checking that parachute attachment point before I drag race CJ!

I'll be flying the "original" at Airfest. Is there going to be a drag race by chance?
20130929_101939 (2).jpg
CJ I have another design to submit for your approval this year. Hopefully you will name this one after me?:cheers:

Why yes I would but I may have an unfair advantage being that mine is a prototype so to speak and only weighs 70 ounces (4.4 lbs)

Not that size matters.... but I thought I would share a picture of my Jumbo SuperJart that I built for BALLS this year - appropriately named "Size Matters".

size matters.JPG

It flew very successfully to almost 13,000 feet on a CTI N3400 Skidmark.

Back