Thread request - can someone start a build thread on reloads?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mushtang

Premium Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm very curious about how the larger mid size and high power engines work. Specifically, how the reloads are put together. What the steps are, how difficult it takes, what parts are needed, what each part does, how to specify delay time, etc.

This is all new to me, I've only ever flown E size and below, black powder Estes brand engines from Hobby Lobby. I'd like to move into mid power at some point and am curious what it takes.

Thanks!!

That video is a great stating point for someone who are not familiar with RMS motors, I to watched this video when I got in to mid to high power reloads, but there are a few things that I like to point out.
The reload and case that Tim is using for this video is an Aerotech, you can also use CTI as well.
Tim went through the steps pretty fast and did not read the instruction or skimmed through them, ALWAYS READ AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTION. Each reload is built, put together differently, so following the instruction is a must, I have been using reloads for the past 5 years and I still read the instructions.
RMS (APCP) motors are ignited differently then Black Powder motors, the BP motor are ignited from the nozzle end of the motor where the APCP motors are ignited from the forward end (the delay) of the motor, so the igniter for the reload must go all the way in the motor until it stops.
And always, if you have question or not sure of something ask question and happy flying.

I am by no means a professional, but I even with several motors under my belt, I still cook book every motor I build. Step by step, follow the instructions. They are easy to understand and have pictures as well. Also bear in mind that the hobby line motors assemble slightly different than the HPR. I highly recomend that you assemble your motors in the peace and comfort of your favorite chair, or dining room table. (as apposed to in the wind and cold, outdoors on the flight line while trying to keep up with the kids & the dog.....)

There is a sticky in this section of the board for Aerotech Hobbyline reloads; they're much more difficult to assemble than the high-power reloads so if they're not too intimidating then high-power is no problem.

CTI reloads are simple: stick a pre-assembled plastic tube into a metal tube, and then screw the closure on the aft end. Way too easy.

Here's a video of Loki snap-ring motors; they need other tools (snap ring pliers) but otherwise they're about equivalent difficulty with Aerotech motors.

[video=youtube;xTsFquQWK-c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTsFquQWK-c[/video]

look up modelkits.com Look up model rockets, articles. It's listed as assembling a RMS motor. I did an article assembling an Aerotech RMS case. Came out pretty good. shows the whole process.

Back