Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm using a filament wound 5:1 Von Kàrmàn nose cone sold by Wildman, and have a custom aluminum tip with a long shoulder on it.

Aksrockets and I are at the world famous Bruno's country club in Gerlach, Nevada ready to go to Aeronaut in the morning.

Manny

Best of luck to you Manny!!!! We're pulling for you!

Eric

Good luck Manny!

I am going to sacrile$$e, huh, I mean s$$om%$#e, huh, I mean sacrifi%e a goat and a chicken for this event.

Wait! My wife just informed me we are going to have a glass of wine in your honor instead. It's OK. You get the idea...

We are behind you, Manny. :)

Noooo. That's not what I meant! Behind you as in supporting you, rooting for you...

C'mon, man!

Seriously, good luck. I know you are ready.

Has anyone heard from "Manny Badger" yet? :eek:

He's being very, very quiet....;) Shhhhhhh......:no: "Be very...very...quiet....I'm hunting rockets....:p"

If you haven't sacrificed another one to the Blessed Mother of Speed and, Acceleration YET...were STILL all rooting for you Squirt!:D

* I am SOOOO going to get left out in the middle of nowhere in/around/about the town of Argoina by my "Chase Partner" later this month for this one.....*

Has anyone heard from "Manny Badger" yet? :eek:

He's being very, very quiet....;) Shhhhhhh......:no: "Be very...very...quiet....I'm hunting rockets....:p"

If you haven't sacrificed another one to the Blessed Mother of Speed and, Acceleration YET...were STILL all rooting for you Squirt!:D

* I am SOOOO going to get left out in the middle of nowhere in/around/about the town of Argoina by my "Chase Partner" later this month for this one.....*

40K' and he got it back!

40K' and he got it back!

The "Cynical Gus"...

Your kidding me...right Bob? :fly:

The "Funny Gus"...

Which parts and, pieces? :rolleyes:

The "Real Gus"...

Manny, you have really grown so fast in the last few years and, i am really proud of the directions you have chosen in your life...If it had been in the cards for me to have had children i'm sure i would have had a son like you. (Although, there have been a couple of Kodak moments of me putting you over my knee....) To do what you've done in such a short lifetime is something to be very proud of! I am humbled by your talents and, motivation and, forever indebted to my creator for allowing our paths to cross....The future is very bright for you my friend and, i am always proud to say that i am your friend.
Now go find a brothel and, call me up for my credit card number....Or at least let me buy you some extra bacon for breakfast back at the host motel after we do Airfest in a couple of short weeks ahead!

Awesome flight Manny! :clap: Here are my pics. Hope you guys have a safe trip home.

-Todd

IMG_5721.jpg IMG_5722.jpg

Nooooo!:surprised: NOT for THAT!:jaw: I meant to get "Uncle Gus" some of the cheap cologne the girls sell.

Last time i was at the Bent Stick, the ladies sold me some of this stuff called *Faux-Su're* ( I think its French for "Foxy Dude"...or something like that...)
Anyhow it came in a BIG bottle and, smelled like Grape Fruit Loops....Yum!;)

Last edited:
Well done Manny! Looks very nice! Would you care to share some data from the flights?

Well done Manny! Looks very nice! Would you care to share some data from the flights?

When I talked to him late last night he was planning to be back in Ames around 8am this morning.
I'm thinking he's sleeping off one heck of a journey right now!;)

Here is my final story, and I’m sticking to it:

So last Thursday, I decided I wanted to post cure the cotronics lay-ups in my dad’s powder coat oven. I used the recommended post cure (one hour at 250F and one hour at 350F) and sat and watched the oven to make sure I didn’t burn down my dad’s place of business. When I took the thing out, the fillets had cracked badly. I think what happened is that it was past the Tg of the tube and once it had deformed the proline 4500 didn’t want to deform with it and thus cracked. The cracking was well beyond the point of repair in order to insure a successful flight. Therefore, a last minute trip to Wildman’s was in order to collect parts in order to build a new rocket. We cut the parts and I got home in time to sleep for an hour before I was to spend 12 hours in a muddy pipe doing hard work. This rocket was completely built within the space of two days. Here are a couple pictures of the new fin can, it actually came out way better than the first one.

IMG_1651.jpg IMG_1653.jpg

Tuesday morning was D-day as it was the day I was leaving for Black Rock. I still had quite a few things to do in order to get the rocket ready to fly, including cutting G10 with a Dremel in the Bruno’s bathroom for the altimeter bay sled. I picked my roommate up along the way in Iowa and we were on our way.

After a long night of prep, fixing crashed Priuses (what is the plural for Prius?) and no sleep, the rocket was ready to fly around lunchtime on Saturday. My pad groupies included Alex (Aksrockets), Ryan Catanesi (Frozenferrari), my roommate Joel and my friend Spencer. We loaded the rocket on the pad, armed the altimeters, radioed to Bryce in the pits who was operating the Big Red Bee and retreated to a safe distance. Once the button was pushed, the thing took a second to think about what it wanted to do, but once it came up to pressure it left in a hurry. Time went very slow for me at this point as I wondered if it was going to be another disappointing shred or a great success. This time, it would be the latter of the two. After it burned out, we rejoiced at how awesome the flight was. Amidst all the cheer, we could hear Bryce’s voice over the radio reading out the altitude at which the rocket was. When he read out the apogee reading, we were even more excited as it seemed as though I had broken the Tripoli altitude record. When we got back to the pits, we soon realized that the altitude reading were in MSL and that I had actually missed the M record by just over 3K’. Although I didn’t break the record, I was still ecstatic that I had become one of very few that had flown a single M motor to over 40,000’. We then got the GPS coordinates and plugged them into my phone. It showed it being pretty much in line with Black Rock point, so I pointed the car toward the Black Rock set my trip as it showed it being 3.3 miles out. Sure enough, once the trip hit 3.1 miles, I could see the hot pink parachute spread out on the playa. I still think it’s amazing that it only took me 15 minutes from when it flew to when I got it back, and most of that was hang time.

Here is a picture of me at the moment of discovery:

10321616_604611629652060_2583305318378487936_o.jpg

Here is a shot of the fin can post flight, zero delamination with zero post cure and zero protection of the leading edges. I think the paint stuck around JUST long enough to keep it from peeling up.

IMG_1775.jpg

Here is a video of the flight taken by Alex Laraway, pad video provided by Ryan Catanesi:

[YOUTUBE]_dX-7eNZjdQ[/YOUTUBE]

Now, the moment you have all been waiting for, the data. Flight stats (.fipa file attached below):

Apogee (from GPS data): 41,880’ AGL
MaxV (from accel data): M3.2

Here is a screen shot from the .kml file in Google Earth (file attached below):

Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 12.20.37 AM.jpg

Just for kicks, here is a cool shot of one of the melted shear pin heads (taken by Joel Lynch):

DSC00693.jpg

Attachments

• Scylla_M2245.FIPa
    545.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Manny 3in M2245.kml
    954.4 KB · Views: 35
Thanks Jim, the reason I left them in is because I was worried about them falling inside the rocket and my past two flights saw the main come out at apogee and I knew I didn't want that happening when going this high. Next time I'll cut them off.

Dude you need to shave ;)

I get that alot :)

I have been playing the part of construction worker this summer, and the beard helps me give off that construction worker vibe. It'll be gone by the time this semester starts.

Edit: The beard also keeps me warm on those cold Black Rock nights ;)

Did you use the "special" motor starter I gave you?

Sadly, no. That's why it sat smoking on the pad. Watch the video for Alex's rocket. I used yours on that motor, and it lit in a hurry :dark:

Were you shaving your criticism for when he was successful?
YAAASS!
CCeGihh.gif

I get that alot :)

I have been playing the part of construction worker this summer, and the beard helps me give off that construction worker vibe. It'll be gone by the time this semester starts.
My friend Jason grew a playoffs beard for the Blackhawks (Go Kings Go! :p) and kept it around for his thesis defense, he ended up looking exactly like German rapper McFitty. To prevent that from happening again, if you don't shave that off soon, I will deploy an incriminating photo involving you, Tim's recliner, and some shaving cream ;)

Congrats again on the flight, man. One hell of a shot!

Back