ANDROver Mission ~ Launch a rover on an HP rocket.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:headbang: Now this is a space program!!!

How are you planning to trigger the parachute detachment?

Last edited:
This project is inspiring!! Can't wait for updates now.

Laugh? This is probably the most awesome thing anyone has ever done with an Android phone AND an amateur rocket; bar none. I love the idea of using a smartphone as a Lander base; it's brilliant.

I did once have such an idea; but it was a but different and with no rover. it involves rocket-aided landing.

Basically; the lander deploys solely a drogue chute to keep it vertical, with an aerodynamic shape suited for that.
Under the lander is an ultrasonic distance finder; the longest-ranged possible; GPS and altimeters that feeds an Arduino (for instance) chip with the altitude data. This computer controls the firing of three/four/X equidistant downward-and-out-facing engines. The weight, thrust, burn duration and Dv of the lander must be precisely coordinated so that the motors, when fired hopefully simultaneously, cancel out the descent speed. The ultrasonic sensor makes sure of knowing exactly when, and not relying on GPS or altimeters.
It's very complicated, failable (the descent engines could fire asynchronously and crash the lander), and dangerous (IE: landing on a house/car/someone, creating a UFO panic, ect), but here's my 2 cents anyway.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks ~ sorry for the late reply ~ had to attend to some family issues in NJ over the holiday.

As for the chute detachment, I had a an idea on that ~ but am willing to hear ALL ideas:

The chute cords could be fed through a guide tube, perpendicular to the decent vehicle horizontal plane. 2 Micro MAXX motors would be mounted in line (horizontally) with the descent vehicle and perpendicular to the chute guide tube ~ triggered to burn through the chute cords. The flame would be contained in the guide tube:

bb84.jpg

This is, however, just my "initial" thoughts (plan?). Any critique of this and/or additional ideas are VERY WELCOMED!

-F

my :2:... Sorry if stepping on your toes, but this is the coolest thing I saw for a while and opened a new chapter in the hobby - rockets can do stuff AFTER parachute deployment!!!
You can send it up upside down - you will probably need something to secure the rover to the decent vehicle anyway, and hide the "inverted umbrella" under the nosecone, when deployment charge fires and parachute opens the nosecone will fly forward by inertia and release the "umbrella", plus you will probably have less jerking after parachute opens it will just slow the decent vehicle without it changing direction - same principle as with zipperless rocket design...
111.jpg

Your micro-motor set-up is probably safer and will not end you up in Guantanamo bay then the pyro-bolt I wanted to sudgest:D How will the motors be triggered? Altimeter? Mechanical switch?

I like the way you think!! Complex! The biggest challenge here is the stability control systems ~ engines that can be turned on/off, on-board fuel? I guess highly compressed air could be used but I don't think it would be powerful enough and canister weight becomes a big issue. Like you alluded to ~ could be dangerous.

Actually not even so complicated! I am talking about regular old Estes model engines; using an electronic ignition. The quicker the burn, the better. Basically it's about getting the optimal engines and building the lander around it. Of course, your ignition needs to be flawless. The stabilization system is a drogue chute. Basically, think of the Soyuz rocket parachute.

Pretty high tech for somebody that can't change the date on the camera! :facepalm:

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Actually this is really cool, and I am will be following this project with interest. Strong work.

Tom

Actually not even so complicated! I am talking about regular old Estes model engines; using an electronic ignition. The quicker the burn, the better. Basically it's about getting the optimal engines and building the lander around it. Of course, your ignition needs to be flawless. The stabilization system is a drogue chute. Basically, think of the Soyuz rocket parachute.

2 more cents.... :D
What if one does three parachutes?
1) Drouge chute to stabilize
2) Secondary to bring it to "normal rocket" descent speed
3) About 5-10 meters (the height is to be determined to give the parachute time to open) from the ground to open the biggest parachute to almost stop the lander before it hits the ground

Or a second parachute can be rifted (I hope that's the right word :) ) and completely open right before the ground.

This is a really, really cool thread! Wish it was located elsewhere so that it receives the attention that it deserves!

Dude! That's plain awesome!

If I may make a suggestion... I think you should have the surrounding blanket fitted so that when the legs are deployed it's pulled tight (kind of like the ramps on the MER's landers) to provide a more stable surface for the rover.

I would look at the
Tender Descender
or
Archetype Cable Cutter
For detatching the parachute.
I know some of the battlebots are flipable-meaning there is no "right" side up, using that concept would remove a lot of the other work. Or have the rover inside a blow-up beach ball or "Hamster ball." Of course you already have the rover built.
No mater what keep posting this is cool.

Been lurking for a while, finally made an account to comment on this thread. This is EXACTLY what i had in mind a few months ago! Any updates since you posted last? the associated twitter accounts have gone quiet as of late.

Excellent logo! Which rover base is that? Are you going to make an active guidance ascent stage for maximum awesome?

Im glad to assist in any way i can. Though about parachuting it down then retrorocketing(also would extend terrain normalization shroud) just prior to landing?

Back