ANDROver Mission ~ Launch a rover on an HP rocket.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got around to fine tuning my 3D printer and have printed my lander base plate (the plate that the legs attach to). I haven't posted much on this because there wasn't much interest but figured I'd try to contribute in response to the current threads on the forums stating lack of activity.

Previous Lander builds were prototypes and were cut from ABS sheets and modified using a dremmel.

This is the lander main base plate printing, and the lander main base plate completed (see the hinges extending). The impressions allow the legs to angle (so they are not level with the base plate when locked). You are looking at the bottom, the rover sits on the top:

View attachment 170212 View attachment 170214

This is the leg locking plate, it retracts pressing the legs into the recessed areas of the base plate (seen above):

View attachment 170213

Here are some "dry fit" shots of a leg installed, and the base plate engaged (note the leg pitch in the last image ~ this is right side up ~ the rover would sit on top of this plate):

View attachment 170215 View attachment 170217

Super cool. Been following this thread the whole time. I think your lack of activity is more due to having put this in Odd-Rocks which doesn't seem to get much activity compared to other sub forums.

Super cool. Been following this thread the whole time. I think your lack of activity is more due to having put this in Odd-Rocks which doesn't seem to get much activity compared to other sub forums.

+1 on the super cool. Keep the posts coming. So far this is the coolest thing here.

3D printed electronics bay: Built it so it could be stacked/unstacked in the field ~ for pre-flight component prep and (hopefully) post flight component data download :)

2 Raven 3's (redundant) for flight event triggering, one Eagle Tree logger (I like the logging this does), and 2 808 #16 HD keychain cameras. The cameras are the good ones (the legitimate 808 #16's) with the D lens (wide angle). I have 15" and 25" extensions for the camera sensors themselves ~ they will be mounted on the lander to film rover maneuvers from two angles.

View attachment 173083View attachment 173084View attachment 173085View attachment 173086View attachment 173087View attachment 173088

Looks very nice. One warning though, the Raven's accelerometer won't be able to sense any (relevant) accelerations during flight, if mounted this way. I'm not familiar with the Raven and don't know if it is able to work as a baro-only altimeter. Otherwise, it will not work as expected. I hope I'm being redundant and you have already verified that a Raven will work at least "good enough" in this configuration. If not, please get some explicit confirmation (preferable from Adrian himself) that this horizontal mounting scheme will work out.

Reinhard

Yes, sorry for the delays in updates ~ still a GO ~ I started a new job June 2nd so progress has been minor in June. I have been working on it, just nothing "exciting" to speak of but here's a quick update:

The stack (the assembled lander top to bottom I refer to as the "stack") is almost 100% printed and assembled. All the plates (power, rover, electronics) are done ~ although the electronics bay I redesigned again and is queued to print overnight. I had to re-engineer how the pyro circuit safety pin worked, and where it was located: Since the lander has pyros and sits inside the rocket airframe I need access to the pyro circuit safety pin from the outside (so the pyros are not armed until I am on the pad). The upper plate (where the pyros, main power switch, and chute attachments are located) is actually printing as I type this (on hr 8 of 8.5):

View attachment 176572 View attachment 176573

The great thing about 3D printing is the freedom you are afforded (custom designs, 1 off parts, etc.). For me the greatest benefit is quick prototyping ~ on CAD (or paper napkins) solutions look good, then you print and realize it could have been done differently (even if only slightly). So you go back, start fine tuning and next thing you know 6 hours have passed (they fly by when on CAD ~ I have too much fun lol). You then have to wait another 5-8 (+/-) hours for the part to print. The fact that I keep tinkering and fine tuning is also a major reason it's slow going :p. And so it goes... 1 part may take an entire day, or up to a week depending on "life" and "tinkering".

This being the July 4th holiday weekend I have 4 full days off ~ of which I plan to use as much as possible to get the stack fully assembled, and if I'm lucky I may even get the electronics and wiring completed!

I'll post updates on this 4 day "sprint" as well. Thanks for the interest and keeping me accountable :rolleyes:.

Awesome, I dont suppose you have more detail about the electronics and designs? i find this sort of thing extremely fascinating. And of course, i hate to see awesome projects die a premature death

I'm using the Archetype Cable Cutter from Fruity Chutes (the red cylinder) to cut a Kevlar thread that wraps the lander (spirally from top to bottom) to hold the legs in place.

I'm not sure the Archetype will be happy cutting Kevlar. I think it's designed for nylon tie wraps. Maybe tie the thread under a nylon bolt head that is in the cutter-kind of like an explosive bolt.

Great design, keep up the good work! :drool: I would like to see this up close some day, way over my head but I enjoy trying. :eyepop:

Back