3" Darkstar revisited

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice motor :) , that is the biggest 54mm AT, CTI , Loki commercial made correct ? until loki 54/4000 comes out

LOKI 4000 ? Can have a show down with Wayco - but it would have to be on his home turf !

Kenny

nice motor :) , that is the biggest 54mm AT, CTI , Loki commercial made correct ? until loki 54/4000 comes out

I think so, but I'm not an expert on that. I do believe that there is room for more considering the CTI 6xl casing is 25" and the DS fincan is 45".... Maybe a Loki load is in my future. Flew one at Airfest last year, nice motor.

loki 54/4000 is advertised almost 44" long

I have a Shredder and another 3" darkstar saved will probably build the Shredder for it ,, name fits

loki 54/4000 is advertised almost 44" long

I have a Shredder and another 3" darkstar saved will probably build the Shredder for it ,, name fits

Wow, 44 inches? Might have to wrap the shock cord around the motor.... Or do the extension CJ talked about earlier in this thread (post 34). Come on over Kenny, but better bring a GPS tracker, we will never find them without it.

My version of that quote...

At some point, they stop becoming rockets with motors and start becoming motors with rockets on top.

Very nice looking rocket. I have a WM Jr. that I put one of the 3D printed fin cans on. Is it still a WM Jr.? I think it is. And that's all that matters.

I thought I would exhume this old thread and see if I could generate some interest in the undisputed favorite rocket in my fleet. I had an unfortunate incident at Airfest this year, my 3" Blackstar caught fire shortly after launch on a CTI K750. The fincan was destroyed but the avbay, payload and nosecone separated after the drogue shock cord melted through and those parts recovered normally. The fincan was toasted, along with the mobius camera housed on it, but I did manage to salvage the Aeropac tailcone. Here is what was left after the top of the motor casing melted through:
IMG_6129.jpg

I talked to Wildman while I was there in Kansas, and he had some of the older 3" black fiberglass tube that he could make another fincan from. I ordered it shortly after my return to AZ. and rebuilt the bottom half of the rocket this month. I also ordered another holographic "Blackstar" sticker from Mark at Stickershock, he keeps files on all the custom stuff he has done for me, probably because I tend to restore old rockets that I like.
Not much changed from the original kit, but I did paint the fins and bottom of the tube Dupli-color Metalcast red like several of my other Darkstars have. Once again the clear coat is Dupli-color Clear Effex, and it came out like this:

006.jpg

I don't know if this kit will be available this year during Wildman's Black Saturday sale, but if it is, don't miss out on this fantastic kit! Mine has a dozen flights on it and seldom misses a launch.
Let's see if anybody else has finished this rocket since this thread went dead last year. Post up if you have an update.

Maybe it's my aging vision, but I can't find the 3" Dark Star on the WM site...where is it listed under?

I don't think it was ever listed on Wildman's website. It was a special kit offered in the 2013 Wildman Black Saturday sale. You could probably talk Tim into putting one together for you, but not for the fantastic price it was offered for back then. Even the parts I ordered to replace the fincan cost more than the $99 we got them for two years ago.
That's kinda what I was hoping for, if enough people show interest in this rocket, maybe we could get it again.....

Ya know, I still have my 3" Black Star sitting in the bag next to my workbench...not for sale...so thanks for the reminder, Wayne.

It was hidden behind my Punisher kit...d'oh!

The wife has one we bought during Tim's BSS sale back then. Still not built...
Her build pile is way too big. An elf may have to start building it soon... :confused2:

I ordered one November 2014 and love it. I call it my big dumb rocket because I have elaborate plans for electronics that I have not even started on, so I keep flying it single deploy motor eject. It is especially great after partial failure on a different rocket or other mishap in the field; I know I can load up the Dark Star with a simple flight on a fairly big motor and it will put a smile back on my face no matter what.

When I figure out the electronics and separation strategies it will be a capable ARLISS K and S4 carrier as well as sport flyer.

20151018_110007.jpg

Here's my cobbled together Darkstar sporting the Gulf Racing livery about to go 9800' on a K375NW. Its actually a comp 3 that I tossed the delta fins in favor of carbon/honeycomb darkstar copies.

Last edited:
I don't think it was ever listed on Wildman's website. It was a special kit offered in the 2013 Wildman Black Saturday sale. You could probably talk Tim into putting one together for you, but not for the fantastic price it was offered for back then. Even the parts I ordered to replace the fincan cost more than the $99 we got them for two years ago.
That's kinda what I was hoping for, if enough people show interest in this rocket, maybe we could get it again.....

It's one of his black Saturday specials but he'll make one for the asking!

Thanks for the info guys! I was interested in a 3" Darkstar since I liked the 3" Punisher so much and figured I can use the same AV bay in it; however I guess I got into the game a bit late...unless I plead and hope for another offering coming up! :wink:

I too would like one of these kits. I believe it is just the perfect size for this design. I just barely missed it last year and ended up with a punisher instead.

Dark Star singing in the dead of Night..

Take these split fins and learn to fly ...

Kenny

Call wildman my son had 2 made for 2013 Christmas presents here , yard sale is another place to find I have bought thick wall 3" and a jr there

I believe 2012 BS sale was the Blackstar special ?

I'd be interested in a 3" Darkstar/Blackstar if it were offered again this year...

I know a guy who might have one for sale. Keep posted, I will reach out to him and see if he's going to unload it.

Call Tim or Jackie at Wildman and tell them you want one, and they will probably hook you up.

Last edited:
For those of you that have missed the boat AGAIN, Wildman has listed the 3" Darkstar on his website for the first time today! The original Black Saturday price several years ago was $99. If you were lucky, you got a Red or Yellow 3" Darkstar today for $150. I really think this rocket deserves a cult following, so if you haven't gotten one yet, it's available for $179.99 whenever you want to join the cult.
My original 3" Darkstar has been restored from a fiery failure of a K750 at Airfest, but flew again last weekend after a complete rebuild of the fincan. First flight went strait and topped out at 10,630 ft on a K635.
Sharon flew her Darkstar for her L2 cert. flight on a K540 to 7288 ft. It was her first flight on that rocket.

Sharon3inDarkstarlevel2cert.jpg

013.jpg

If you have one, post up a picture. If you have one and haven't built it yet, get 'er done!

Back