Can Anybody Identify this Altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hball55

Reaction score
I bought this altimeter from PML 12 years ago and then got out of rocketry. Now, I can't find any documentation and don't know which altimeter I have. I believe that PML was selling the PML Co-Pilot and the Transolve P6 back then, but neither looks like this one. Help!

Just as I was going to post this, I happened to enlarge the picture on the left and the result was too funny, so I left this post here for you to see what I saw. Actually, I can see what I missed even in the picture even when it's not enlarged. I swear, the layout of this altimeter doesn't look like the altimeter it purportedly is, so somebody explain the difference to me . . . a different version of the same altimeter?

Henry Ball
NAR #75967
Level 2

102_0053.jpg

102_0054.jpg

Looks like an old P6

Yes, you're right. But I really didn't know so I took the pic and was previewing my post when I saw the red glow "P6" on the chip. Made me laugh at myself.

It was just another indicator, one of many I have lately recognized, that you have to work to keep your mind sharp. I've been retired for three years and things that normally didn't get by me seem to get by me lately, this being one of them.
So, if you see me approaching the launch table with a rocket you could stop me and ask me if there really is a parachute in that rocket.

Henry Ball
NAR #75967
Level 2

The mounting sled looks pretty cool. Would you mind taking a few more pics of the whole setup?

Thanks!

The mounting sled looks pretty cool. Would you mind taking a few more pics of the whole setup?

Thanks!

The sled is actually the altimeter screwed onto two end pieces. The whole thing is part of the CPR3000 that PML sells as part of some of their advanced kits.

Cheers,
- Ken

The sled is actually the altimeter screwed onto two end pieces. The whole thing is part of the CPR3000 that PML sells as part of some of their advanced kits.

Cheers,
- Ken

Aaahhh, thanks! I just looked it up.

Does that system work well?

Aaahhh, thanks! I just looked it up.

Does that system work well?

It has problems with blow back of black powder gasses that requires a fix. There's a few reviews online that talk about this and I'm sure PML could help in this regard. Also a problem with the coupling at the point of the CPR system, where there's only about an inch coupling space for support where the rocket is screwed together. Rockets flex at that point and could snap under high Gs. There's also a fix for this. The fixes, however, need to be employed during construction. I didn't know of these problems when I constructed my Mini BBX and so (1) I haven't used the CPR 3000 system.

Last edited:
It has problems with blow back of black powder gasses that requires a fix. There's a few reviews online that talk about this and I'm sure PML could help in this regard. Also a problem with the coupling at the point of the CPR system, where there's only about an inch coupling space for support where the rocket is screwed together. Rockets flex at that point and could snap under high Gs. There's also a fix for this. The fixes, however, need to be employed during construction. I didn't know of these problems when I constructed my Mini BBX and so (1) I haven't used the CPR 3000 system.

Ok. Thanks for the feedback.

Back