Nose Cozy-- Protection for Nose Cone Tips on Rear Eject and Some Helicopter Recovery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
One of the "down sides" (sorry about the pun) of rear eject rockets and some other helicopter rockets like the Gyroc is that they descend with the pointy end of the rocket downward. Not too much of a problem if you land on grass, but if you land on something hard, can be a problem. Seems that if the landing site is a mixture of lots of grass and a little pavement or cement, the probability of landing on the cement is directly proportional to the time finishing the rocket.

Anyway, I got some of these Nerf Darts cuz they said they would whistle. Stuck them on the nose of a rocket. Nada. For some reason while I was fiddling with them I shoved the Nerfy tube side into a nose cone. Hmmmmmm.

I had a bunch of Bt-5 (13mm) nose cones from Apogee. Tim sells 100 of them for 20 bucks. https://www.apogeerockets.com/Building_Supplies/Nose_Cones/Low_Mid_Power_Nose_Cones/PNC-13A_100pk
Might be something to think about if you are planning to a bulk build for kids, since the nose cones seem to be the most expensive item. Wish he had a deal like this for BT-20 nose cones.

Anyway, if you shove a Nerfy Tube into a BT-5 nose cone, it fits pretty well over an Ogive or Conical BT-20 nose cone (probably would fit over other pointy larger cones as well.) It stays on pretty well by itself, although a bit of tape wouldn't hurt. Thought this might be a good trick for those rear eject birds.

Close Up Dart and Cut and Cone.jpgCozy on a BT-20 Cone.jpgNerf Tube In Cone.jpgNerfDarts and Cone.jpg

Back