"Hidden" Fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docK

Reaction score
What is the best material for see through fins, I was thinking plexiglass, but is there something better and easily available.

Polycarbonate sheet has good strength. Only issue is that you can't really epoxy it successfully, so you need to use mechanical attachment (as I did in my Light Show).

Polycarbonate sheet has good strength. Only issue is that you can't really epoxy it successfully, so you need to use mechanical attachment (as I did in my Light Show).

Yep --polycarboate/lexan is a good choice , but adhesion is a problem. Best bet-if you don't want screws and such, which are better----ttw and scuff the areas where you'll have filets--inside and out--epoxy--not a bad idea to drill some small holes on the inside areas.

Use the 'search' tool (both in the current version of TRF and in the archives) and look in Micromeister's old posts. He discusses this subject extensively

Acrylic Plastic (Plexiglass) is the worst choice for flying fins. Polycarbonate is by far the Best Choice for clear fins. and is available in thicknesses from .010" to .125" at most commercial plastic supply companies locally or from any number of on-line suppliers.

Best attachment method is either TTW or epoxy rivet application with epoxy fillets. Most of my Odd-Roc and Scale models with Clear fins from Micro to 5- D12 Clusters use ONLY Polycarbonates (Lexan or others). I've flown my 5- D12 Clustered Crayon for several Decades now with direct attached Epoxy Rivet .080" clear Polycarbonate fins without any problem at all.

171c5_Crayon 5D 4 pic Flight_09-96.jpg

Back