Quest q2g2 ignitors out of stock everywhere

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atlasboy

Reaction score
I use these for my DD deploy charges. Out of stock everywhere until January.

Anyone know of any sources to procure? Or what else to use?

Thanks. Have two DD launches in Dec. so either need to get some or a reliable alternative.

I suspect that demand drops during the winter months; out of stock seems to be common, this time of year.

-Kevin

I suspect that demand drops during the winter months; out of stock seems to be common, this time of year. -Kevin

In Florida, we launch twice as much during the winter. Last December I was wearing shorts and enjoying a full day of launching without sweating to death.

Mileage may vary depending on location. ;-)

Does anyone know of a place to buy Q2G2s in bulk? Say, a box of 100??

I won't need these until next year, but I will be switching to Q2G2s instead of J-Tek ematches for ejection charges next season. (Cheaper.)

If you don't have a LEUP, you can't get ematches.

Well, I thought this too a couple years ago when I stocked up on Newtons 3rd cannisters and Quest Q2G2s instead of hard to get ematches. Now, Wildman, Quickburst, and Crazy Jim are selling, ahem, "lighters", with no mention of LEUP.

What is the deal? You can buy ematches without LEUP, but need LEUP to store them?

I won't need these until next year, but I will be switching to Q2G2s instead of J-Tek ematches for ejection charges next season. (Cheaper.)

I got a bulk pack (50 or 100 can't remember) directly from Quest a couple years ago. It was a quasi-Black Friday deal, IIRC.

Contact Quest. In the past, they have sold 24 packs of them; I have a few of those sitting on the shelf.

-Kevin

Well, I thought this too a couple years ago when I stocked up on Newtons 3rd cannisters and Quest Q2G2s instead of hard to get ematches. Now, Wildman, Quickburst, and Crazy Jim are selling, ahem, "lighters", with no mention of LEUP.

What is the deal? You can buy ematches without LEUP, but need LEUP to store them?

If you or the seller get the attention of the BATFE it will request an MSDS from you or the seller. If none is available then the seller is busted. If the MSDS shows composition that qualifies for them as an "explosive", then both parties are busted. (This comes from my friendly ATF agent during her last visit to me on the subject)

Last edited:
Quest was recently purchased by Aerotech and the entire company moved from Colorado to Utah.
This kind of thing almost always has consequences with regards to product availability.

A bunch of them come with every bulk pack or value pack of Quest motors, which would be a ridiculous way to buy them of course. But maybe you can find someone who obtained a bunch this way and could uses Estes igniters instead.

Quest was recently purchased by Aerotech and the entire company moved from Colorado to Utah.
This kind of thing almost always has consequences with regards to product availability.
I ordered Q2G2's about a month ago directly from Quest (when they still had stock), and they were shipped from Aerotech in Utah.

I ordered Q2G2's about a month ago directly from Quest (when they still had stock), and they were shipped from Aerotech in Utah.

What you received most likely was product already in-country at Quest’s warehouse that was transferred to Utah.
Now we have new people at Aerotech that have to “make nice” with the folks in China that actually make the Q2 igniters. This can sometimes cause delays.

Tower Hobbies has the long Q2G2's in stock and you can use the free shipping code of 01A20. I used them for my cluster night flight rocket. However, for ejection charge using regular ematches make more sense now that you can get them without the extra hazmat charges. They went out of stock last year at this time also, so I think it is more ordering/manufacturing issues then anything to do with the merger.

Last edited:
What you received most likely was product already in-country at Quest’s warehouse that was transferred to Utah.
Now we have new people at Aerotech that have to “make nice” with the folks in China that actually make the Q2 igniters. This can sometimes cause delays.

Bill Stine is now in Utah with RCS (AeroTech/Quest).

E-mailed Aerotech as to when the Q2s would be “Back in stock” and the answer was “After the New Year”.

E-mailed Aerotech as to when the Q2s would be “Back in stock” and the answer was “After the New Year”.

Isn't that what happened last year? Do they receive huge batches at the beginning of January only?

I already bought these from Crazy Jim,,,,,,,,,,,

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...ale!-ejection-charge-lighters&highlight=wacky

He ships within 24 hours of payment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I already flew them with an altimeter using them to ignite my echarges,,,,,,,,,,,

They work perfectly,,,,,,,,

They don't have short leads like Q2G2's,,,,,,,,,,

And they're cheaper then Q2G2's......................

What more do ya want...........................

Teddy

APOGEE says now,
not until April they will be in ??
that's a long time from now!! wonder what's up ????

Back