Quest q2g2 ignitors out of stock everywhere

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that is because you are special.

Does anybody know when Quest is going to start producing these again?

Matt

I bought some 24pks in 2011 and 2012 that I never used. I think I tried one to see if I could light a small AT motor with it - no luck - wasn't hot enough.

I bought some 24pks in 2011 and 2012 that I never used. I think I tried one to see if I could light a small AT motor with it - no luck - wasn't hot enough.

You want to sell them to a good home if you can even ship them? If not I was thinking about getting some stuff to start making my own.

You want to sell them to a good home if you can even ship them? If not I was thinking about getting some stuff to start making my own.

I probably could unload a few packs, but I have no clue if I can ship them. Do they fall under the same mess where we can't ship motors?

These are the 3.5" ones. Thought about soldering longer leads on them, but never bothered.

Last edited:
I'd also take one, if I could find somebody who goes to both Pittsburgh and Orangeburg/Bayboro launches (maybe like Ken Allen or somebody?)

I suspect that they are shipped in a shipping container and that they are part of a larger order of motors and other items that fills the container. Not cost effective to ship a partially filled container across the Pacific Ocean, through the port and across the Southwest and up into UT.

A simple call to Quest/Aerotech should result in some kind of answer. They are nice folks and do not mind a quick question - especially from customers who are salivating to send in cash for product.

If you buy bulk packs of motors, they should have Q2G2 igniters included. Simply use other igniters for those motors (Estes or nichrome wire) and save the Q2G2 igniters for the clusters, the ejection charge activators, etc. Again, if you are placing an order, you can call or e-mail them to verify what is included with the motors and that what you are ordering is indeed in stock.

Isn't that what happened last year? Do they receive huge batches at the beginning of January only?

I'd also take one, if I could find somebody who goes to both Pittsburgh and Orangeburg/Bayboro launches (maybe like Ken Allen or somebody?)

I pretty much have to see if they are shippable before anything. Pittsburgh doesn't fly until May.

I probably could unload a few packs, but I have no clue if I can ship them. Do they fall under the same mess where we can't ship motors? These are the 3.5" ones. Thought about soldering longer leads on them, but never bothered.

Alright thanks. Let me know of you can. :):):)

I pretty much have to see if they are shippable before anything. Pittsburgh doesn't fly until May.
Not legally without hazmat fee and certification by common carrier, or written permission from the USPS......

I still can't find these anywhere. And the few places that do have them in stock usually only have the 8" ones in limited quantities. Add in shipping and HAZMAT and they're about the same price (if not more expensive) than actual ematches...

I only have about 300 of the Q2G2 igniters left....and about 1000 Solar Igniters....
I've almost use up the last of the Q2 igniters.
And I've got a nice supply of the MMX-Q2 igniters to go with my MicroMaxx II-1 motor stash.
And I still have over 5 miles of nichrome wire. Type A, 30, 31 and 32 ga.

Thanks everyone for the assistance! Now I know where to look... ;)

I may have just missed this reading through this thread, but isn't there someone around the forum that make and sells ejection matches? I'd be interested in purchasing several if they compare nicely or come in cheaper than I can buy from commercial vendors.

Well here it is the middle of April and these things are still not in stock.

That is one really slow boat from China.

I too use Q2G2s for DD (in my cable cutters). But thanks to Crazy Jim I don't need to anymore. Look for his post in Vendors. (Don't have it here).
It was something like $50 for 75 DD initiators. They work fine. I have switched all my cable cutters to us them and am saving the Q2G2s for BP clustering. From what I understand they've been tested with most Altimeters. I think they are pretty low current.

I have laying around some cells I used to use to make flight packs for RC receivers in planes........
The cells are --- AA Nickle Metal hydride ( I know I spelled that one wrong,,,lol ) 1.2V--- 2200 mah.........

I touched one of Crazy Jim's ignitors to a single 1.2V AA cell......................

It went off instantly....................

I don't think you get much better then that...............

Teddy

Are you using the Archetype cutter? If so, did you need to switch caps from Q2G2 to electric match?

Yes. And Yes. THE best price I got on Q2G2s was using the NAR 40% off coupon on the quest site. But since they are unobtainium, Crazy Jim's are the next best value.

Yes tho. I did buy a few new caps.

Crazy Jim's starters could set fire to a wet nomex blanket with a watch battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back