AERO-Tech CHEETAH (Finished)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This kit arrived at my door about a week ago. The first day I had it together and spent the rest of the time prepping it for paint. The kit goes together really easy and everything lines up nicely. The fin-lock system makes it easy to get the fins straight and all you need is medium CA or 5 minute epoxy. I used epoxy and at time used 30 minute when forming internal fillets.

Paint was Duplicolor Cherry Red. I used 3-4 coats of high build primer (both red and gray) and sanded between coats. I also used 3M Spot Putty Glaze to fill in the spirals. My last coat of primer (gray) I wet sanded with 800 and I applied the top coat. I applied about 3-4 coats total using light coats for the first couple. After the paint dried a few days I came back and wet sanded the top coat with 800 and then followed it with 1500 until 90% of the finish was dull. I avoided the leading and trailing edges of the fins for fear of sanding through.

I applied about 5 light coats of Duplicolor Crystal Clear. After it dried a couple days I came back and applied the decals. The decals are crack and peel so I took my time when I aligned them. I didn't used warm soapy water I just peeled and stuck them on. I didn't care much for the decals. I noticed that the red seemed to "bleed" through the white on the decals and didn't pop as much as I had expected, but over all it came out nice.

IMG_2404.jpgIMG_2400.jpgIMG_2401.jpgIMG_2402.jpgIMG_2403.jpg

This kit was build per instructions and I used all the parts and didn't even upgrade the shock cord. The only thing I plan on changing is the chute. They give you a 16" chute and I don't want the rocket to drop that fast especially on a dry lake bed. I have a couple 18" "X" chutes laying around that I can use and my friend has the 22" chute that came with his AT kit so I'll more than likely use that one.

Not a bad kit if you want to fly right away. ROCKSIM has it at 2600 feet on a "G" but I plan of flying it on some 24mm engines first. I can see losing this rocket pretty easily.

As is the rocket comes in @ 9.6oz without the chute.

Last edited:
looks good, what you plan on flying it with?

Consider using the G-64-10 with the Cheetah.......7 sec delay will usually fire on the way up while rocket is moving pretty fast.

I zippered mine with a 7sec. delay years ago.
It is the recommended delay [10] on the motor list, that comes with kit, by the way.

Outstanding job on your paint by the way!

Consider using the G-64-10 with the Cheetah.......7 sec delay will usually fire on the way up while rocket is moving pretty fast.

I zippered mine with a 7sec. delay years ago.
It is the recommended delay [10] on the motor list, that comes with kit, by the way.

Outstanding job on your paint by the way!

According to ROCKSIM the chute deploys at 22mph on a G64-7 verses 44 mph on a 10 second delay, but I do plan on ordering the G64W-10 and I'll try it. Someof the other rockets I'm taking will fly great on the 10 second delay.

Last edited:
Say.....That is a beautiful job! I like this kit very much. If you have an adaptor, the Cheetah flies GREAT on the F24-W and the F35's I like this kit so much I up-scaled it....I did not use the same paint scheme but the same general lines with the addition of a tail come (see photo). The photos of yours make me want to get another one (kit from Aerotech!).

Hope your flight goes well on the G64! I hope you try it on a calm day!

P1010011 (2).jpg

That came out great and I really like the white stripes on the fins.

Say.....That is a beautiful job! I like this kit very much. If you have an adaptor, the Cheetah flies GREAT on the F24-W and the F35's I like this kit so much I up-scaled it....I did not use the same paint scheme but the same general lines with the addition of a tail come (see photo). The photos of yours make me want to get another one (kit from Aerotech!).

Hope your flight goes well on the G64! I hope you try it on a calm day!

View attachment 154286

Nice job on the upscale. I love the paint scheme. I plan on flying mine on 24's and I have the motor adapters. Should be a great flight. I'll post some onboard flight videos when I go.

Thanks for the compliments!

This kit arrived at my door about a week ago. The first day I had it together and spent the rest of the time prepping it for paint. The kit goes together really easy and everything lines up nicely. The fin-lock system makes it easy to get the fins straight and all you need is medium CA or 5 minute epoxy. I used epoxy and at time used 30 minute when forming internal fillets.

Paint was Duplicolor Cherry Red. I used 3-4 coats of high build primer (both red and gray) and sanded between coats. I also used 3M Spot Putty Glaze to fill in the spirals. My last coat of primer (gray) I wet sanded with 800 and I applied the top coat. I applied about 3-4 coats total using light coats for the first couple. After the paint dried a few days I came back and wet sanded the top coat with 800 and then followed it with 1500 until 90% of the finish was dull. I avoided the leading and trailing edges of the fins for fear of sanding through.

I applied about 5 light coats of Duplicolor Crystal Clear. After it dried a couple days I came back and applied the decals. The decals are crack and peel so I took my time when I aligned them. I didn't used warm soapy water I just peeled and stuck them on. I didn't care much for the decals. I noticed that the red seemed to "bleed" through the white on the decals and didn't pop as much as I had expected, but over all it came out nice.

View attachment 154146View attachment 154147View attachment 154148View attachment 154149View attachment 154150

This kit was build per instructions and I used all the parts and didn't even upgrade the shock cord. The only thing I plan on changing is the chute. They give you a 16" chute and I don't want the rocket to drop that fast especially on a dry lake bed. I have a couple 18" "X" chutes laying around that I can use and my friend has the 22" chute that came with his AT kit so I'll more than likely use that one.

Not a bad kit if you want to fly right away. ROCKSIM has it at 2600 feet on a "G" but I plan of flying it on some 24mm engines first. I can see losing this rocket pretty easily.

As the rocket is it comes it @ 9.6oz without the chute.

Now that, is nice!!!

Great paint and a magnificent look.

Fly it with pride!!

Your Cheetah turned out VERY nice! :)

I've flown rockets on several dry lake beds so I understand your concern.
I fly my Cheetah models with the stock parachute but I glue another section of tubing in the aft end of the model to strengthen it.

My current Cheetah model weighs in at 9.8 oz less motor.

I, also, recommend you fly with the mfgs. listed motors. The G64-10W motor will be better.

May you have many successful flights with your Cheetah! :D

an 18" x-form chute is roughly equivalent to a 15"(14.4" if you want to be picky) standard chute. if you want to slow it down I'd suggest an 18" standard or a 22" x-form.
Rex

Beautiful paint job! I think you'll really enjoy flying it.
I fly my Arreaux on motors as small as a E18-4 to a G64-10 or G64-7 when I use Duel deploy because of the added weight, its one that gets the most flights because of the wide range of motors it can fly on.

Post some pictures or video of your launch.

According to ROCKSIM there's a few motors it flies well on.

G64W-7 & 10
G79W-10
F24W-7

I'll be using the 22" stock AT chute that came with my friend/s Arreaux kit. Should work well.

Great looking rocket!!

The cheetah was my first (and still only finished) MPR build. I've only flown it on 24mm engines as every launch thus far it's been crazy windy so have had to keep it somewhat low. I have a couple of G reloads for her, but saving those for a super calm day. Or will probably end up launching on those when I to my L1 next year at the larger field.

My favorite motor so far is is the F24-7; it rips off the pad in a massive column of thick white smoke! Really awesome to watch. I think the F24 would be a perfect motor for your first launch.

Yeah I agree the F24 is one of the motors I plan sending it up on. I will get some on board flight video

Great looking rocket!!
The cheetah was my first (and still only finished) MPR build. I've only flown it on 24mm engines as every launch thus far it's been crazy windy so have had to keep it somewhat low. I have a couple of G reloads for her, but saving those for a super calm day. Or will probably end up launching on those when I to my L1 next year at the larger field.

My favorite motor so far is is the F24-7; it rips off the pad in a massive column of thick white smoke! Really awesome to watch. I think the F24 would be a perfect motor for your first launch.

..... I noticed that the red seemed to "bleed" through the white on the decals and didn't pop as much as I had expected, but over all it came out nice. .

that's a big problem with AT decals, I don't know if someone have a solution ?

that's a big problem with AT decals, I don't know if someone have a solution ?

Exact same problem with decals on my G-Force. The decals are cool, but anytime the clear part of decal goes over most colors of paint, it is disappointing.

According to ROCKSIM the chute deploys at 22mph on a G64-7 verses 44 mph on a 10 second delay, but I do plan on ordering the G64W-10 and I'll try it. Someof the other rockets I'm taking will fly great on the 10 second delay.

Doesn't Aerotech provide those printouts that show the rocket motor and recommended delay for each of their rockets anymore? If not, I'm sure I have some laying around.

Just checked the Aerotech motor matrix chart and yes Aerotech agrees with the poster that recommended the 10 second delay. Projected altitude 3200 feet.

Henry Ball
NAR #75967
Level 2

Last edited:
Doesn't Aerotech provide those printouts that show the rocket motor and recommended delay for each of their rockets anymore? If not, I'm sure I have some laying around.

Just checked the Aerotech motor matrix chart and yes Aerotech agrees with the poster that recommended the 10 second delay. Projected altitude 3200 feet.

Henry Ball
NAR #75967
Level 2

Where can I find the chart at and does it have a listing of motors for all their kits?

I agree ,that is a very very nice job you did on that kit ,gotta love that !

You do some damn fine painting !

That is a sweet little kit ,wish I still had mine ,but alas.....it`s time came ,but it had a good many flights on it and flew on a wide variety of motors ,which made it handy on small and large fields.

Cheers

Paul T

Last edited:
Where can I find the chart at and does it have a listing of motors for all their kits?[/

I'm willing to bet there's a PDF on their site. Or if you want, I can send you a copy I scanned. Trouble with mine is it's before they came out with their two newest rockets, the Sumo and I forget the other name.

Just found it on their site, under "Resources." Aerotech Kit & motor cross reference. It has all their kits, including the Sumo and G-Force.

I should have taken the time to read Blackjack's post.

Last edited:
Jerome

Thanks for the sheet and I appreciate it. It's something I can tape to my storage cabinet.

What I wanted to mention to everyone is that when you build a rocket it doesn't always come out to the exact weight that is listed on the box. Some people use epoxy fillets, while others don't and some lay a lot of paint on the rocket, which in this case makes a difference in the motor selection. Based on my ROCKSIM file View attachment aerotech_cheetah.rkt for "MY" CHEETAH a 10 second delay on a G64W has the parachute deploying at 41mph!! A G64W-7 deploys the chute at 22 mph. The best motor(s) for this rocket is a G75J-10 with a deployment speed of 14 mph and F24W-7 with a deployment speed of 18 mph.

I have a lot confidence in ROCKSIM and have always been very particular about the motors I select. Also keep in mind I'm using the stock 6' elastic cord so I really don't want to select a motor where the chute is deploying at a high rate of speed.

So now you have the file and those who want to play with different motors can

Have fun!!!

The best motor(s) for this rocket is a G75J-10 with a deployment speed of 14 mph

but you don't listen to me , you install the clip instead of an Estes retainer, the G75J is a reload for a 180 casing.

but you don't listen to me , you install the clip instead of an Estes retainer, the G75J is a reload for a 180 casing.

Yep you're right. I forgot to check the length of the motor and YES I'm using the clip.

OK so I use the G64W-7 instead and the F24W-7

I'll get some flight video for you guys.

Back