Telemetry rig based on PF SL100 and XBee

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI , I receive this error when I run the script.

Hi Gerard. You need to download and install the processing.serial library. The missing function is in that library. I will update my code to include a comment to that effect. Sorry for the trouble.

Ok it's working, before I read your post I download version 1.5.1 as I read somewhere that "myPort.readStringUntil('\n')" function is missing in 2.1 and they will include it with 2.11

but where did you ge the library ?

Good thing I have a vacumm chamber to test it.

Last edited:
Hi Gerard. You need to download and install the processing.serial library. The missing function is in that library

Correction: It should be included in Processing 2.0 and greater. I'm using Processing 2.0.3, downloaded it 3 months ago.

Saw you other post come through email (but it's not showing up here for some reason). I have my SL100 set to send data 'On Pad'. Run the config tool to make this change. In this mode the SL100 continuously sends data once it has completed the continuity check. This lets me receive a steady stream of data while the rocket is on the pad to 'verify telemetry. It sends one data point representing the approximate altitude above sea level, and then continuous sends altitude data with respect to that value (usually numbers between +/-3 - fluctuations due to wind, noise, etc.)

Hi Matt, I found the problem, the Xbee module was defective and transmitting intermittent, as soon as I install a new one it work great

Hi Matt, I found the problem, the Xbee module was defective and transmitting intermittent, as soon as I install a new one it work great

Glad to hear it (though not glad that you had a bad XBee - hope you can get a refund)! Can't wait to see your data - pretty thrilling when that plot starts drawing during flight!

Was only a ZB 24 at $ 17 , since it's only bench test I don't use a Pro

I have success link with the 3DR kit from Hobby King , only thing I have to do is to set the radio at 9600 baud

tele_zps5bf2d02e.jpg

I have success link with the 3DR kit from Hobby King , only thing I have to do is to set the radio at 9600 baud

Hi Gerard, reviving my old thread to ask a question about the 3DR - what logic level does its serial port use? Would it connect directly to an SL100 (which uses 3.3v CMOS logic), or is a level shifting circuit required?

Hi Gerard, reviving my old thread to ask a question about the 3DR - what logic level does its serial port use? Would it connect directly to an SL100 (which uses 3.3v CMOS logic), or is a level shifting circuit required?

Direct

the 3DR as a voltage regulator to down the 5V to 3.3

OK, good. I'm having a hard time finding complete electrical specs on the HobbyKing version quoted earlier. If anyone knows the location online of better doc than the product description or the doc on the 3DRobotics site, much appreciated.

OK, good. I'm having a hard time finding complete electrical specs on the HobbyKing version quoted earlier. If anyone knows the location online of better doc than the product description or the doc on the 3DRobotics site, much appreciated.

this site helped me with a lot of the questions I had about the 3dr system:

https://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-using-the-3dr-radio-for-telemetry-with-apm-and-px4/

the radio's datasheet is also very helpful:

https://www.hoperf.com/upload/rf_app/HM-TRP.pdf

Thanks Derek. I had seen the first link, but was not aware of who manufactured the radio and so had never found my way to the datasheet - that is exactly what I was looking for.

No problem. Let us know how your project works out!

Really cool project, Matt!

Thanks for sharing your code! I was able to mod it for use in my rocket project!

-Cornelius

Really cool project, Matt!

Thanks for sharing your code! I was able to mod it for use in my rocket project!

You are most welcome - it was great fun to work on and to see the interest in here. What mods did you make?

Hi!

They were some basic mods for now. Changed the screen colors for more contrast for viweing outdoors, and changed the app Window size to match the screen size of the Dell 10" notebook PC I'll be using for the first flight tests.

:)

Hello rocketriers
I'm writting here from Poland. I'm a member of PTR (Polish Rocketry Society).
Reason I came here is i'm the only one useing Stratologger SL100, and lately I focused on telemetry. This is what You are talking here.
I have bough 3DR clone set on ebay and tried the Matt's code, found on github. (Thanks Matt).
The code was inspiration for me to write my code. Please help Yourselves if You want to try or use.
This is not final version. I'm affraid output data of velocity and accelaration will have to be smoothed (moving average or Kalman filter).
Sources and compiled to exes with starting batch file (COMport choser + main application) can be downloaded here.
It's working with SL100 with no mistakes at 129kbps of air speed, set in 3dr console. Screenshotscreenshot.jpg

But reason to come here is also to ask You to share with me expirience, methods or devices used for reaching useful range.
Facroty state of 3DR gives me range of 250-300mtrs. For rocket telemetry it is definitely too low.
What would You advise to use as better antennas, maybe amplifiers, way of placing transmitter antena in a rocket etc.
regards from Poland
Przemo

Last edited:
Welcome Przemo! I love your interface - much nicer than mine! And glad the code inspired you. There was some discussion on this thread on range and amplifiers, so read back and then post questions. I expect to fly my rig on a rocket that should hit 7500 feet this year, which is on paper out of the range of my XBee - but I am hoping that in the open air with line of sight I will still get data. Will let everyone know.

Przemo - I saw your private message to me. I will just say that everything you wrote in the message would be perfectly appropriate to post publicly. We are an open forum, and it is better to 'put yourself out there'. I won't respond to the PM - but please post that info here and I'm sure you will get some good conversation going.

Of course it is not any secret and here is my PM to Matthew.
(However mainly PM was about my massage sent in the past to You on facebook and perhaps not read)
PM that Matt said about a post above is:
Hello Matt
Thanks for nice words in reply for my post.
I just want to say that when You will find out my old massage on facebook (where I had found You), please know that that was older version with some soft problems I had. Now link posted on forum is the latest and working.
I will look then into other threads on Your forum maybe I will find knowledge how to do telemetry useful in rocketry.
BTW>We are going to do this year 2-3km (6500-10000 ft), or even more, on hybrid engine. This is main reason for trying to see what's going on, live, if one cannot watch the rocket by eyes.
all the best
Przemo (PL)

P.S. If anyone can indicate me a thread about best solutions, antenas, amplifiers, devices etc needed to have realy good range (a few kilometers) for live telemetry, I would be thankful. Trying to find something but not matching exactly I have found only. :confused:

Hello again
Thanks for the link so You suggestion is to go toward ampified antenna. I will look arround here while according to our law I must go for 433MHz. But I have to do something while my 3DR-like tranceivers 433, with factory antennas, 100mW (20dBi), have just 250mtr range - poor for our hobby.

About Github - yes I know it (I had found Your code and You (Matt) there), perhaps I will upload my code there. Hoverer this version (let's call it 1.0) must be completed still. So far i'm affraid (as I've already metioned), some filtering, data smoothing will be needed.
You can see it on my desk-try here, here and here. In real flight velocity and acc graph-bar will not be so nervous but this can be verified in flight. But flight with telemetry is not possible w/o good enough range of radio. Crazy circle :wink: But step by step....

aha BTW : in my zip there is batch file for sequentialy opening comsel.exe (port choosing) and Tele*.exe (main soft). In my case (Windows7) it was neccesary to do that way. Maybe in other case (system etc) it will be neccesary to modify it. But You guys will for sure know what to do.

have a nice day
(when You will wake up but now You are in the middle of the night) :grin:

Last edited:
I assume you're talking about ground range with the 3DR's, yes, it's about 250M or so. However, in the air you can get at least 2KM out of them, assuming that you have the proper antenna. I'd get rid of the ones that ship with them and find a higher-gain omnidirectional antenna, you should be able to find something with about 5dB gain without looking too hard and spending too much money.

Hello again
Thanks for the link so You suggestion is to go toward ampified antenna. I will look arround here while according to our law I must go for 433MHz. But I have to do something while my 3DR-like tranceivers 433, with factory antennas, 100mW (20dBi), have just 250mtr range - poor for our hobby.

Back