Estes Altimeter problem

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etoyoc

Reaction score
My daughter purchased an Estes Altimeter this morning. I had planned on her using an Adept Altim1 that I had. However, she likes the digital display. A vendor just received one yesterday, so she purchased the Estes altimeter. Today, at a rocket launch, we couldn't get it to record anything. It was placed in a payload bay with vent holes based on the standard formula of 1/4 " diameter per 100 cubic inches volume. When it didn't work, I cut 3 1/8" holes into the payload based on the directions in the packaging. Either way the altimeter didn't record any data. The altimeter was turned on. We pressed the only button until 0000 read (according to directions, this is equivalent to reset) and then went back to 0 ft.

I know this is a fairly new product; however, does anyone know if there is something that is missing?

Edit: After playing with it with a small DIY vacuum chamber, it is now recording readings. I am not sure what caused it to start taking readings, but it appears to work now. So now to test it on the next launch.

Last edited:
I was just coming here to report that I had problems too. I bought one yesterday (Saturday, November 16) and flew it twice and didn't get data either time. OK, the first time I didn't bother to read the instructions (I'm a rocketeer and an engineer after all!), but it was turned on with a "0" in the display. However, I did read the instructions before the second flight and followed them. The vent holes in my rockets were the ones I used for my Altimeter Two and it always worked, but they may be a little small for what the Estes one calls out.

Oh, and another guy at the launch told me that he has problems with his Estes altimeter not recording data.

Anyone have any advice on how to make these things work?

Turn on the device.
Press and keep down until the display shows 0000. Then let go of the button.
The display should now show "0FT"

Test:
Place the altimeter between both hands and suck the air out of your hands for a couple of seconds to simulate a compression chamber.
An altitude should now be displaying.

Turn on the device.
Press and keep down until the display shows 0000. Then let go of the button.
The display should now show "0FT"

Test:
Place the altimeter between both hands and suck the air out of your hands for a couple of seconds to simulate a compression chamber.
An altitude should now be displaying.

I tried that 4 or 5 times and saw no response. I then placed the altimeter in a plastic drinking glass and sucked on the glass. I was able to form a good seal and deformed the glass slightly. I repeated this about 10 times checking the altimeter after each attempt, but never saw a reading. I cycled through the various options on the altimeter and noticed three readings in memory. I have no idea which tests produced the readings or why only three of the tests triggered the altimeter. Also, I have no idea why the "altitude" did not show on the altimeter after the tests and had to be retrieved from memory.

I flew my Estes altimeter twice today for a total of four flights (I flew it twice in November). I now have four flights with no data. :(

Someone from my club suggested taping it to the outside of my rocket next time to see if it works that way. We were tearing the launch pads down when he mentioned that, so maybe I'll try that at next month's launch.

Last edited:
A friend bought one and had the exact same problem. He bought another and it worked perfectly fine. It sounds like estes has some manufacturing issues to work out.

I have 2 , one work the other don't and I test it in a vacuum chamber.

Thanks to everyone for your ideas on fixes.

I had the same problem on Saturday with two flights. The device just recorded 0 ft. Lame!

I found this thread and tried some of the fixes on it.

1. I removed the battery and then replaced it.
  2. I used a cup and used my mouth to create suction for the device.
  3. I found it recorded 6 "flights" and the readings seemed relative to the suction I created.
  4. I noticed that the device sometimes didn't put a reading on the screen until it was bumped.

I hope that helps. I'll try it with a real launch later this week. Hopefully it works.

Well shoot I just bought one of these all excited. I'm doing some launches today so I'll post my set up later and tell you all if it got good readings

The first Estes Altimeter I purchased didn't work.
I called Estes and they sent out another one. I didn't have to return the bad one.

Now the second one seems to work fine except most altitudes are lower than
any of the advertised kit face card altitudes.

The first Estes Altimeter I purchased didn't work.
I called Estes and they sent out another one. I didn't have to return the bad one.

Now the second one seems to work fine except most altitudes are lower than
any of the advertised kit face card altitudes.

I would use a second altimeter to check the accuracy of it. Do you have access to a Jolly Logic or other altimeter? If you get similar readings from both than I would assume that they are both reasonably correct. The odds that both are off by the same amount seems highly unlikely.

And I always assumed that the stated altitudes on the face cards was more advertising than realistic.

Just did two launches with the altimeter in my rocket. I had drilled holes as the instructions said and nothing was recorded. I did the hand suction test and got a good reading but during the launch nothing. I'm not sure if I need bigger holes or what but it might be to finicky for me. 40 bucks down the drain I think.

Back