SAMPLING PORT QUESTION

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neond7

Sky Pirate
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm building a 7.5" avionics bay for my LOC Doorknob dual deploy mod - largest one I've built so far. I'm reading the PerfectFlite manual and it says to use four .5" holes. On my 5.5" avionics bays, I use four 9/32 holes.

Guess I'm having a hard time getting my head around four .5" holes - that is the size I drill to install rotary switches.

Before I start drilling this thing, does anyone have any input?? Seriously?? Four .5" holes??? A full 1/2" drill bit??? That just seems HUGE!!!! I realize its a huge avbay, but the holes are just so much bigger than the ones on my 5.5" bays.

I don't have my computer with me so I don't know the reference and / or source of the spreadsheet I use, but for sure the hole area goes down proportionally as overall volume goes up, so you are right to be suspect.

Well..... Yes and no.

The table on that link only calculated the port size for a 7.5" bay up to 9" long. Mine is 12" long. For the 9" long, it recommended four 1/4" ports. Which is half of what the PerfectFlite recommends. Hard to believe that an additional 3" length in av-bay requires doubling of the hold size??? Now I'm more confused. :-(

Well..... Yes and no.

The table on that link only calculated the port size for a 7.5" bay up to 9" long. Mine is 12" long. For the 9" long, it recommended four 1/4" ports. Which is half of what the PerfectFlite recommends. Hard to believe that an additional 3" length in av-bay requires doubling of the hold size??? Now I'm more confused. :-(

If you look at the second table. This is using 4 holes.

It states Body tube up to 7.512 can use 1/4" holes in a length up to 9.03 inches.

If you look at the second table. This is using 4 holes.

It states Body tube up to 7.512 can use 1/4" holes in a length up to 9.03 inches.

My avionics bay is 12" long. That is why I was confused, as a 3" extra av-bay tube length requires doubling the port size (according to the PerfectFlite manual). I just wanted to get this nailed down before I drilled. I can always make the ports bigger..... much harder (and messier) to make them smaller. ;-)

My avionics bay is 12" long. That is why I was confused, as a 3" extra av-bay tube length requires doubling the port size (according to the PerfectFlite manual). I just wanted to get this nailed down before I drilled. I can always make the ports bigger..... much harder (and messier) to make them smaller. ;-)

Oh I am sorry, I was reading your thread while doing physics homework and missed the details.

Your AV bay has about 530 cubic inches of volume. On the link I posted it states "A good rule of thumb for the static pressure port is to use a 1/4" diameter hole for every 100 cubic inches in the altimeter bay compartment that is being vented."

With this logic you could use 5 holes of 1/4", that would be theoretically close enough.

Last edited:
Rocket Calculator for iPhone says four 0.29" ports. I'd say that is fairly close although you'd probably be OK going smaller.

Excellent, thank you. I'm considering four 1/4" holes - everything I've heard always say its better to be a bit on the small size than too big.

On the other hand, using the formula for four ports, where each hole = diameter x diameter x length x .0008 does come out to .54.

Unless I'm really stupid, rounding down .54" to .5" equals a 1/2" drill bit, correct??

Excellent, thank you. I'm considering four 1/4" holes - everything I've heard always say its better to be a bit on the small size than too big.

On the other hand, using the formula for four ports, where each hole = diameter x diameter x length x .0008 does come out to .54.

Unless I'm really stupid, rounding down .54" to .5" equals a 1/2" drill bit, correct??

Again, you have to quit going back to the Perfectflite formula. It is too simplistic and doesn't apply properly to larger airframes.

Again, you have to quit going back to the Perfectflite formula. It is too simplistic and doesn't apply properly to larger airframes.

Ah.... ok, now I understand, the formula doesn't scale up well. So a 1/4 inch hole every 100 cubic inches is correct, according to the Vernk.com site. So a 1/4 hole is just a tad too small since I'm using a 12" long bay.... but once again, better too small than too large.

Thank you everyone! I'll consider this a done deal.

Ah.... ok, now I understand, the formula doesn't scale up well. So a 1/4 inch hole every 100 cubic inches is correct, according to the Vernk.com site. So a 1/4 hole is just a tad too small since I'm using a 12" long bay.... but once again, better too small than too large.

Thank you everyone! I'll consider this a done deal.

Also I did my volume measurement with an ID of 7.5 inch. The coupler will have a different ID so less volume, 1/4" vent hole would make sense to me. I would just make sure the altimeter(s) are as close to the vent holes as possible.

Back