OpenRocket 13.11.1 released

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruland

Reaction score
I just pushed out OpenRocket 13.11.1 which has a few changes (bug fixes)

1) Tube Coupler configuration is back
2) The 3d libs are updated. I know I said they were updated in 13.11 but they didn't seem to get into that build. Leo, this build should work for you.
3) Motor filter remembers the last used settings for the current rocket. Some settings are still remembered over restarts (motor manufacturers, and the dimension check boxes)
4) Fixed various exceptions which happen in the new flight configuration tab.

Kevin

3) Motor filter remembers the last used settings for the current rocket. Some settings are still remembered over restarts (motor manufacturers, and the dimension check boxes)

this didn't work for me.

edit:

let me clarify the problems I had.

yes, the sorting is remembered for the same rocket when you select different motor configurations. yeah!

However this is not saved when you close OR. Opening the rocket up again causes it to sort by diameter again. grrr.

The limit motor diameter and length check boxes are saved between loads and now appears to be global (i.e. check it on one rocket and open another and it is checked). yeah!

However the motor mfgs. isn't saved. ever. boo.

One request I have is to make the motor details tab the default tab. That seems more useful (to me) than having the motor filters tab the default.

Another request would be to automatically open the motor selection window when you add a new configuration.

Thanks again for your work!

Last edited:
Win 7 64, JAVA 7 45

1) Working
2) Working
3) Working (within a session)
4) Unknown

Hi Derek.

Some of your troubles are peculiar.

There had been a lot of discussions (on the openrocket-dev mailing list) about which tab should be the default tab. If it's any consolation, you agree with Sampo, but I did not. Since I wrote the code, I won - right? Anyway, before the latest change (where the filter remembers the last used settings), it made sense to me that when the dialog first comes up, the user would want to limit the list of motors as much as possible, then change tabs (if that information is interesting) while picking the specific motor.

However (this is where I start to cave), now that the dialog remembers the last used settings, it's less important to see and modify the filter settings the second time the dialog comes up. This assumes the filter is still appropriate for your rocket and you're just trying out alternative motors. Anyway, where this is going is, I should be able to make the dialog remember the last selected tab, and leave that up. It would be per-rocket and not remembered over restarts since that makes the most sense to me.

I don't understand why the motor mfgs are not saved for you. Is this a recent problem? Now that I think about it, I might have introduced a bug here (rats! seems I'm thrashing the code too much, might have to slow down) - Yep! confirmed, new bug, and that's too bad since that was the one bit which I wanted in this feature to begin with.

Actually the default sorting on the motor dialog is not by diameter. It's actually by diameter by total impulse by manufacturer. In any case, I don't really want this to be remembered over restart

I like the idea of automatically opening the motor selection window. I have to think about what that would mean in staged and clustered rocket though.

this didn't work for me.

edit:

let me clarify the problems I had.

yes, the sorting is remembered for the same rocket when you select different motor configurations. yeah!

However this is not saved when you close OR. Opening the rocket up again causes it to sort by diameter again. grrr.

The limit motor diameter and length check boxes are saved between loads and now appears to be global (i.e. check it on one rocket and open another and it is checked). yeah!

However the motor mfgs. isn't saved. ever. boo.

One request I have is to make the motor details tab the default tab. That seems more useful (to me) than having the motor filters tab the default.

Another request would be to automatically open the motor selection window when you add a new configuration.

Thanks again for your work!

Since I wrote the code, I won - right?

Fair enough. I guess I need to learn java now. :D

It looks like the motor columns are sorted by impulse then by diameter. The manufacturers and designations are all jumbled up.

Remembering the last tab is fine with me. I'm just looking to minimize the number of clicks when trying new motors.

I don't have any suggestions about handling the automatic motor selection window opening for multi motor rockets. I haven't explored that yet.

Thanks again and keep up the great work!

Fair enough. I guess I need to learn java now. :D

It looks like the motor columns are sorted by impulse then by diameter. The manufacturers and designations are all jumbled up.

Remembering the last tab is fine with me. I'm just looking to minimize the number of clicks when trying new motors.

I don't have any suggestions about handling the automatic motor selection window opening for multi motor rockets. I haven't explored that yet.

My tip for you for minimizing clicks is this: Create a whole bunch of new configurations in one step, and then go down the list double-clicking the motor mount in the table. That way you don't actually have to move your mouse to the "Select motors" button.

BTW - I have confirmed that the manufac list is never stored. In fact I don't think it had been stored in 13.11. Somehow the saving code "just disappeared".

Hey Derek,

Guess what? The last tab selected (motor filter or motor details) will be shown on the next time its opened! Sometimes unintended consequences are desirable.

Kevin

Ok just to show how computer literate I am ... my computer is having issues opening a .jar file. What do I do?

The new motor selection dialog is really nice. Thanks for your work.

Some minor observations (Win 7 x64, Java 7u45):

The numerical motor length fields can cut off the content. Steps to reproduce:
1) Set length to 0 and close dialog
2013-11-16 16_07_53-Select a rocket motor.png

2) Open Dialog again a set to another value with more than one digits:
2013-11-16 16_08_44-Select a rocket motor.png

Resizing the simulation plot window may distort the texts and it can move GUI elements out of the window or waste space.
2013-11-16 16_16_22-Rocket (STR-02a_6G-XL_motors.ork).png

2013-11-16 16_03_56-Program Manager.jpg
(resized by forum software, original size 1920x1157)

Reinhard

Last edited:
Reinhard,

Thanks for pointing out those problems. I've actually known about both of them. The size of the length field baffles me. I'm using the same code as used everyplace else - well almost. That one is annoying but minor - in my opinion.

The simulation plot layout problem is a side effect of updating our layout library. I updated that library hoping that it might address the significant problems experienced by the Apple users. Unfortunately, some of the panels ended up looking pretty crappy. I had fixed a couple of them before the release, but I didn't go through everything. This one was pointed out in a bug report and I have fixed it.

Although I appreciate people pointing out problems on the Forum - after all it is "the official OpenRocket forum". However, for simple bug reports, I'd ask you to also go to the help menu and press "bug report" to manually generate a bug report. Describe the problem (no attachments, sorry), include your trf handle or email address, and say you can provide screen shots if necessary. Those bug reports go to about 5 people on a private list, you will not get spam from it. I will most likely contact you for the screen shots, or if I already know and understand the problem, I might ignore it. Please don't take "no response", as, "he doesn't appreciate my report".

Hey Derek,

Guess what? The last tab selected (motor filter or motor details) will be shown on the next time its opened! Sometimes unintended consequences are desirable.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin! Looks like I don't need to learn java after all! :)

I also never noticed the bug submit thing. Very neat.

Derek

Is there a way to turn off the CG & CP markers on the 3D rendering its defiling my awesome art work.

TA

Is there a way to turn off the CG & CP markers on the 3D rendering its defiling my awesome art work.

TA

Ooohhh +1

I'd also love to see the various manufacturer's Engine Hooks added (Old and New designs), so you could select them from a drop down menu.

TA

There might eventually be a photo booth tool that's made specifically for displaying the rocket. I'm not sure when it'll come out, though.

Back