Most Incredible Looking Military Missiles Picture Thread!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
I'll start with this:

Immagine making a Scale Model of that!!!:surprised::y:

Isn't that this?
No, it's a Bloodhound. They're very similar and you're not the first to make that mistake, though since Bloodhound is better known, the mistake is usually to see a Thunderbird and call it a Bloodhound. :)

The giveaway is those big nacelles. They're ramjets, the power for Bloodhound's sustainer. Thunderbird's sustainer is powered by a single rocket motor in the back, so it has a full set of four midships main fins.

But for just plain weird, take a look at the 3M8M, alias Krug, alias SA-4, alias Ganef:
485sa4.jpg

I see a scale RCRG coming up.

What on Earth is this? I can tell it's Russian, but that's as far as I go.

Ari.

I see a scale RCRG coming up.

What on Earth is this? I can tell it's Russian, but that's as far as I go.

Ari.

I have not the slightest Idea what it is, but I have independantly confirmed its Incredibility, thus I post it here for your Review.

This one is incredible for its sheer size. Look up, there's a Guy on some form of Scaffold or Gantry doing something. The Missile makes him feel small. I got to climb around on Atomic Annie at Ft. Riley, KS.

I used a thing called TinEye that takes a picture and does a search, took a while....I like it, hard to see the intake on the bottom, sort of snark like with boosters that give it a bit of bomarc feel...I've never heard of it before.......

All I can say is--wow. Thank you for the link.

Ari.

This one is incredible for its sheer size. Look up, there's a Guy on some form of Scaffold or Gantry doing something. The Missile makes him feel small. I got to climb around on Atomic Annie at Ft. Riley, KS.

He looks small because he's kneeling on a gantry somewhere behind the missile. The missile is the SA-5 Gammon, 10.76m long - not that much bigger than the 8.45m Bloodhound and about the same as the SA-2 Guideline. ;)

Now for today's bargain, two for the price of one.
238px-Rheinbote_and_Rheintochters.jpg

On the left, Rheintochter, one of Germany's WW2 attempts at a SAM. On the right, Rheinbote, a four-stager with a six-nozzle booster based on the first stage of Rheintochter.

He looks small because he's kneeling on a gantry somewhere behind the missile. The missile is the SA-5 Gammon, 10.76m long - not that much bigger than the 8.45m Bloodhound and about the same as the SA-2 Guideline. ;)

Now for today's bargain, two for the price of one.
238px-Rheinbote_and_Rheintochters.jpg

On the left, Rheintochter, one of Germany's WW2 attempts at a SAM. On the right, Rheinbote, a four-stager with a six-nozzle booster based on the first stage of Rheintochter.

Ahh! That's why everything like the Truck Tires look so out of proportion! Rheintochter is interesting.

Last edited:
Rheintochter is the heaven or nirvana of evrey rocket builder.
Full scale
2 stages
both hybrid

hmmmmmmmm, I like that..with enough sonotube and foam shapping feasible..but a 8" version FWFG is very exciting....just waiting for Curtis to deliver the 3:1 NCs....
uuuh!

Last edited:
How's this for a Nose Cone?

This would make a challenging Scale Build.

Last edited:
I love the Sea Dart. I have some drawings around here somewhere along with some crude measurements, but I want to wait until I tet a lathe to go after it.

Now you've done it! The Search is on!

Says it's a Skill Level 2??? Looks rather complex to me. Perhaps the lower Transition Section is Prefabricated Plastic?

Unfortunately, that booster section on the Estes kit is mostly plastic parts.

But it can be done.

Unfortunately, that booster section on the Estes kit is mostly plastic parts.

But it can be done.

Well, if they are nicely made Plastic Parts, then it is ok. As long as it's not like how Semroc Butchered the SAM-3. Close enough is one thing, but making an absolute Joke out of a Machine that was designed to Destroy stuff is moronic in my Opinion.
I'de actually prefer Plastic molded Parts to skimping on the Transitions.

Last edited:
Rheintochter is the heaven or nirvana of evrey rocket builder.
Full scale
2 stages
both hybrid

hmmmmmmmm, I like that..with enough sonotube and foam shapping feasible..but a 8" version FWFG is very exciting....just waiting for Curtis to deliver the 3:1 NCs....
uuuh!

That will be awesome and the rocket gods will let you into Asgard.

Well I was going to nominate Sea Dart and Sea Slug - Sea Dart has been done but I love the Heath Robinson type of design in Sea Slug - such a large missile the Royal Navy had to build a whole class of ships to carry it. Its such a mad looking missile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Slug_(missile)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwPb-uWLXMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip8gZNtEqQQ

Sea Dart and Rhinetochter are both on my build list and, if itwasnt for me being so slow building anything Rhinetochter would have been built by now - sighs - unfortunately another birthday came round and my boys bought me Perseus II (not a bad disaster to have in your life I guess) and one thing has led to another and now I am diverted builing a 12v launch controller

TopRamen opined: "As long as it's not like how Semroc Butchered the SAM-3."

SEMROC did not "butcher" the SAM-3. It is a kit they sent to their SEMROC Astronautics Modeler members - SAMs - and made available to others. It is a flippin' skill level 1 kit, not a scale model.
I do have an Estes Sea Dart kit in my collection. The plastic parts are not all that highly detailed, but make for an easier build. It isn't a truely scale kit either, but did introduce a lot of folks to the British missile.

Quite a while back, someone offered a Sprint ABM kit, but the name escapes me. Basically a cone model, but with a printed wrap if I recall correctly.

Chas

Wasn’t the Sprint the missile that broke the sound barrier before it completely left the launch rail and basically destroyed it as a result?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_(missile)

The Sprint was silo launched, driven by a piston out of the silo then the motor fired. I haven't read what the condition of the silo was after launch, but as my dad would say, "It didn't do it any good."

The first stage propellant was consumed in 1.2 s and was a "V" impulse class.

That rocket had an EXTREME boogie factor.

Greg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_(missile)

The Sprint was silo launched, driven by a piston out of the silo then the motor fired. I haven't read what the condition of the silo was after launch, but as my dad would say, "It didn't do it any good."

The first stage propellant was consumed in 1.2 s and was a "V" impulse class.

That rocket had an EXTREME boogie factor.

Greg

Over 600,000lbs of thrust for the whole duration at a KN of 6.0 (yes, six). Sooo cool.

Back