I Have A Testors Paint Question.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
I just got the set of Paint seen in this photo. It has been so long since I've used this stuff, so I went to Youtube to look for some Tutorials, but found only a couple of Jokers "unboxing" their Paints.
Does anyone have any Tips on where I might find some instructional Videos. I know basically how to use paints, so forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question, but for Techniques on how to use Thinner and that kind of thing is what I'm looking for.

I have a Rocket in Progress that still need to be Primed again, but due to the Weather, that might not happen til' Spring. I figured, what better to start practicing on, an actual Rocket that won't matter if I make Mistakes with, since it needs another Priming anyhow. The Brush that comes with the Paints is worthless. I'll definitly be visiting my Mother tomorrow. I found that rather than brush the Paint, you have to "stab" the Work with the Brush to impart the Paint onto it.

Last edited:
I've learned one thing right away. I'm going to need more Thinner for Brush Cleanings and fixing things when the Paint gets under the Masking Tape. Gonna' take a Tip from Paul T and invest in some Tamiya Tape. I'm using the 3M Blue stuff you get at the Hardware Store. It's not the greatest.

Are you going to be brush painting details with those paints? Are you going to use an airbrush?

With Testors enamels, it is important to make sure you stir them very well. I build plastic models and use a lot of Testors paint. I use a battery operated paint stirrer. Shaking does not get the pigment sufficiently broken up and mixed into the carrier. You will probably also want to get the larger jar of brush cleaner. You shpuld not have to thin the paint unless you are going to use an airbrush.

Good luck with your project.

Are you going to be brush painting details with those paints? Are you going to use an airbrush?

With Testors enamels, it is important to make sure you stir them very well. I build plastic models and use a lot of Testors paint. I use a battery operated paint stirrer. Shaking does not get the pigment sufficiently broken up and mixed into the carrier. You will probably also want to get the larger jar of brush cleaner. You shpuld not have to thin the paint unless you are going to use an airbrush.

Good luck with your project.

Thanks for that. I would like to someday get an Airbrush, and have watched a few Videos on Youtube about using the Thinner and the Airbrush.
Right now I'm more worried about how to do it by hand. I had to use some Thinner tonight to clean up after removing Masking Tape.

TopRamen,

Nice job, so far...

Regarding videos, you might have better luck looking for videos related to painting figurines.

Other than that, my "rules" for painting by brush include:

1) avoid getting paint into the base of the brush (dip no more than the first half of the brush into the paint)
2) use only the top half of the brush (the base of the brush should never touch your work piece)
3) when brush painting a larger area, apply brush strokes uniformly and in one direction
4) and finally, use a high-quality brush--it makes a difference

I think I may just go ahead and Hand Paint the Entire Model. It really is Theraputic and Enjoyable. Makes me feel like a Kid again. My Spray Paint Jobs will be Summer Rockets, and my Winter Paints will be Hand Painted. Winters will be for Details, and Summers will be for Construction Method Advancement. That ought' to keep me interested in Rockets.

Also - be patient with the silver, it can take a long time to dry. (days to weeks) Try not to touch it.

Also - be patient with the silver, it can take a long time to dry. (days to weeks) Try not to touch it.

It seems to be drying at the same rate as the rest of them. I have a small Fan directed at each Section for half an Hour before I move on the the next. Started playing with Decals too.

Dear Lord it's a Pheonix Pup!

Last edited:
Have not been to visit my Mom yet, but I went to Barre today and stopped at the Hardware Store and the Hobby Shop.
The Hobby Shop had some nice Brushes but they were expensive, so I baught my Balsa and left.
At the Hardware Store, where I used to be the Sporting Goods Dept. Manager, I found a very basic Set of "Artist Brushes". They were marked $4.99, but after my Employee Discount they only cost me $1.94. I was a good Worker, so after I left for the Army, my Boss still gives me a Discount.
So anyway, now I have Brushes, and also grabbed some Thinner, a Quart. That oughta' last for about ever.

When I was in the Army, we had to take all of our Vehicles to the Paint Place before we Deployed the Second Time. Lessons learned. They call the Paint CARC Paint, and I think that that is because it it Carcinogenic. We had to mask off the Dials and Gauges, because they just blast the entire Vehicle with Paint.

When I was in the Army, we had to take all of our Vehicles to the Paint Place before we Deployed the Second Time. Lessons learned. They call the Paint CARC Paint, and I think that that is because it it Carcinogenic. We had to mask off the Dials and Gauges, because they just blast the entire Vehicle with Paint.

Actually, CARC stands for Chemical Agent Resistant Coatings, but I'm sure it's pretty nasty stuff. You can google on "CARC Paint" to find out its purpose.

Actually, CARC stands for Chemical Agent Resistant Coatings, but I'm sure it's pretty nasty stuff. You can google on "CARC Paint" to find out its purpose.

My bad. I did'nt work in the Paint Place, so I had no Idea.

Well, the Weather was nice enough today to get the Sprays on. I'm loving this Krylon Fusion Paint. It is made to go on Plastics, but it dries in 15 Minutes, and can be handled afte 1 Hour. The Instructions on the Can say that if you are egoing to do more Coats, do them within 24 Hours, or wait 7 more Days. I can't take anymore wiating for this project to be done, so I donned my Respirator and finished her off on the Porch, with the Warm Air from my House blowing at the Work while I sprayed. I have a Porch Light that illuminated the Work nicely. Now I can stay indoors and use the Testors Paint to do the Rivets and Tail Cone.

Back