X-Plane SST in BlueTube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure how I missed this thread. Looking great, Chuck! This sure is a cool design Quaranta came up with. And judging by your build photos, you're every bit the craftsman I am!

Elmers Wood Filler. Let it dry at least 48 hours, refill, then start your tube prep with sanding sealer.
Thank you. I hated doing the first time, I can't wait to do it for the second time.

Not sure how I missed this thread. Looking great, Chuck! This sure is a cool design Quaranta came up with. And judging by your build photos, you're every bit the craftsman I am!

Jim, you are way too kind, but thank you.

Took a couple glamor shots this morning. The rear centering ring is slipped in upside down and will be removed to allow me to do the internal fillets.

IMG_20140210_074632_705.jpg IMG_20140210_074657_417.jpg

I'm liking this one more and more.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. This has been a fun/challenging build for me.

Last night I laid down the first set of internal fillets.
IMG_20140210_185915_851.jpg

I used sanding sealer on the one Blue Tube rocket I built, because I heard it can be affected by humidity.

I have made some progress.

Internal fillets have been completed
IMG_20140217_103643_455.jpg

Aft centering ring has been epoxied into place
IMG_20140217_133125_418.jpg

First batch of external fillets have been laid on the wings.
IMG_20140217_144438_534.jpg

I also did a second pass with wood filler on the tube seams.

Why do I need to use sanding sealer?

2 reasons that i have found,

1 - Seals the surface of the BlueTube, also does a 'final fill' of the spirals. Both of these mean that the paint not only sticks to the surface better, it also saves on later sanding/smoother surface.
2 - The sanding sealer soaks into the fibers, seems to make the tube stronger, especially with normal LOC paper tubes. Slathering some inside of the tubes allows you to tighten up the coupler fit. Also helps with BP cleanup

2 reasons that i have found,

1 - Seals the surface of the BlueTube, also does a 'final fill' of the spirals. Both of these mean that the paint not only sticks to the surface better, it also saves on later sanding/smoother surface.
2 - The sanding sealer soaks into the fibers, seems to make the tube stronger, especially with normal LOC paper tubes. Slathering some inside of the tubes allows you to tighten up the coupler fit. Also helps with BP cleanup

Well, that "seals" it for me. I'll be using sanding sealer before paint!

oh chuck... i am rebuilding the Krakens!!!!
Poly is gonna get a makeover... how about Profusion Black FG?

Last night I finished laying down the last set of fillets <does happy dance>
IMG_20140221_074947_997.jpg

After the epoxy set, I removed the tape. Not too much sanding to do to finish these off.
The bonus of using the Aeropoxy Light is that it sands easily.
IMG_20140221_075042_702.jpg

Ready to be sanded <stops doing the happy dance>
IMG_20140221_075124_294.jpg

Not much activity on this build over the last month. I have all the groves filled on the booster section, sanded, coated with sanding sealer, and sanded again. Now if we ever get some dry days I'll put some primer on it and see where we're at.

Yesterday I mounted and wired an Eggtimer altimeter to the sled. I had a scare for about an hour or so because when I powered up the Eggtimer I as getting an error tone. I finally was able to locate the problem by carefully tracing all the wiring.

Next will be to mount the TeleMini alongside the Eggtimer.

I think I've finally decided on the layout for the sled. This is the first time I've put two altimeters in the same rocket.

On the left side is my TeleMini and on the right is my RevC Eggtimer.
IMG_20140331_072403_952.jpg

I have some cleanup work to do on the under-side of the sled.
IMG_20140331_072414_828.jpg

Over the weekend I was able to complete the entire electronics bay. Telemini and Eggtimer are mounted along with their required power sources. Bulkheads have been fitted with charge wells and all needed holes have been drilled. Photos to follow.

Remaining steps:
* cut the payload section to length
* fill the groves in the payload and switchband sections
* install t-nuts in switchband section to secure payload section
* modify nosecone for Eggfinder tracker
* prime / sand / prime / sand
* paint
* apply those absolutely awesome decals from stickershock.

I have 38 days until our first launch of 2014.....

Today was a beautiful day to get the primer coat on.
I couldn't resist a quick photo after primer coat.

IMG_20140412_145021_965.jpg

This past weekend I was able to spend some time working on this build.
I accomplished the following items off the check list:

* cut the payload section to length
* fill the groves in the payload and switchband sections
* install t-nuts in switchband section to secure payload section
* first primer coat applied
* modify nosecone for Eggfinder tracker (started)

Remaining steps:
* complete nosecone modifications
* sand / prime / sand
* paint
* apply those absolutely awesome decals from Stickershock
* assemble and test my new Eggfinder
* ground test ejection charges
* install Aeropack motor retainer

Today I completed the nose cone modifications that will allow me to put my EggFinder in the nose cone.

Here are all the components that I made.
IMG_20140419_102815_256.jpg

The T-nuts are inserted
IMG_20140419_103843_149.jpg

and epoxied into place
IMG_20140419_105335_385.jpg

I epoxied in a 3/4" section of 54mm motor tube and the u-bolt that will be attached to the recovery harness
IMG_20140419_105351_265.jpg

Back