TLP Gabriel III/AS Fins And Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a #110 Cardstock Band around the end of the Body Tube nearest the Nose Cone. Sealed it with Super Thin CA. I measured it to match the width of my Aluminum Foil Tape, as after everything is painted/decaled I will also add a Silver Band of Foil to it.

Last edited:

Sadly, I have no Primer, so it will be awhile before I get anything else done on this. I also don't have the stuff yet for my Recovery System, so that will have to wait too. I think I'm going to order the Chute from Cato Chutes. They look nice, and they make one that is red, white and black, which will match the finished rocket.

I guess while I wait til' I can get some Primer I can make some Gussets for the Fins.
I can also smooth and paper the rear Fins. Papering post-mounting would normally not be an option, but since they are 1/8th" Plywood, coupled with the fact that I can paper things with the absolute minimun of TBII, it will work just fine and there will not be any warping.

Last edited:
Got my Gussets on. Test fit some Screws. Tomorrow I soak them with Super Thin CA and make the rest of the Screw Holes.
Here I show the process of how I made the Gussets from the #110 Cardstock and made the Markings for lining up the Holes.

Today I papered the Rear Fins and CA'd the Gussets on the Front Fins. Tonight I'll CA the Rear Fin Papers and sand off the excess flashing around the edges.
I'm extremely satisfied with how my Papering turned out. I had to discard two Skins due to getting a little glue on the wrong side, but other than that they went on like I thought they would. As I applied each one, I use a tiny piece of green Scotch Brite Pad to smooth them down and get into the Root Edge to insure a good Bond.
Covering the rear Fins in the Cardstock has covered up the tiny imperfections I had on some of their Edges where I had to fill with Bondo. It will also insure that the Grain will not be seen when I do Primer and Paint.

Last edited:
The Paper and the Plywood are now one. I actually ended up sanding off the Flashing/Excess before CA'ing them, as the Paper sands away easier before it is stiffened by CA.

One of the things I'm most impressed with in this Build is that I've been able to get Rock Solid Fins witout the need for Ugly Fillets.
This is a first for me. :)

My Mother dropped off her Sewing Machine today, so I may have to go ahead and make the Chute' for this one myself once I get good at making Chutes.:) I figure after 4-5 of them I'll have a good Technique down.

Thanks JP.
That Site does have some good info.
I'm still not certain if I will indeed make my own for this particular Rocket, but I'm definitely going to be getting into the Chute making more in the Future.

After a few Days of Practice, I finally made a Chute that I'm proud of, and this one will fly in the Gabriel III A/S.
It will be on a Swivel with a Disconnecting Link on it so that I can change it or fly it in another Bird. Just waiting on my Shroud Line Material and Shock Cord to get here.

Last edited:
Good job, looks great, why you pick those colours I'm curious, you columbian? ;)

Good job, looks great, why you pick those colours I'm curious, you columbian? ;)

Thanks!

Picked those Colors because they are the only Colors I had. It's pieces of a Tent that I took apart to make Chute out of.

Last edited:
Got some Primer on there finally. I'm using Rustoleum "Painters Touch" 2X Ultra Cover Paint+Primer. I'm really liking how it goes on.

I really like this Rustoleum Paint. It's Primer and Paint all in one. Good enough for me.
All of the flaws are present now so I can sand where necessary and prime/paint again.
Can't wait to get my Stickershock Vinyl on there!
I went ahead and did the Aluminum Foil Tape Band Detail, I'll just have to mask it while I continue the Paint Job.

I've decided I'll Aluminize the Outside Edges of the Forward Fins.
I'll wait til' I'm done with the Paint first though so it's one less thing to have to mask off.

It's funny how I spent time Bondoing the Spiral, but to look at it with Primer/Paint on it you would hardly notice.
Today I'm going to let this Rocket sit while I get my Paint/Prime/Decal on with my LOC Viper III. This will give me some Practice with Vinyl.

Just spent some time with a fine tip Brush and the white Testors Paint making adjustments and filling in Spirals.
If it is nice out tomorrow I may get the final coat of white on.

Thanks.
It is trying my Patience, trying to fill the Spiral which was supposed to be filled by the Bondo Spot and Glazing Putty.
I got another Coat of Paint on there today, so it will hang and dry til' tomorrow. Then I'll Nit Pick at it again. Hopefully it only needs one more sanding and painting. I'm anxious to get my Vinyl on there.

Got my Final Coat of Paint on and Clear Coat. Now I'll let her dry in the Sun and Breeze for a couple Hours. I'll likely be able to begin Vinyl later tonight.:)

Back