Classic Model Rocket UPSCALE List !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzzh8c

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Somewhere on this forum there ought to be a place where we capture all the classic UPSCALES of unique Estes/Centuri/Cox rockets that have been built and flown. Doesn't matter if it's a 2X or a 15X (the extremes that I'm aware of). I went through a 1973 Estes catalog and the list of upscales that I have seen pics of(unique model rockets, not actual military or space rockets) and came up with 13. (Cherokee D, Commanche, Mars Lander, Sprint, Sprite, Mark II, Mosquito, Trident, Alpha, Der Red Max, Goblin, X-Ray and Interceptor) I think there are A LOT more than that!

If you have an upscale, add it to the list !!

Rocket Upscale
Estes X-Ray 7X

Well, there is this thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?57138-top-estes-kits-that-is-upscaled

My upscales:
Cherokee D (I've made 3 BT-60 versions, one original length, one of the later length, and one phantom). I have a pair of BT-80 versions that are lurking around inside my head.
Supernova Payloader (BT-60)
Yellow Jacket (this one has flown) (BT-60)
Comet Chaser (could fly tomorrow) (BT-60)
Cougar (almost finished, less paint) (BT-60)
Gamma (just starting) (BT-60)
Centuri Hummingbird (in the works) (BT-60)
Centuri Spirit of America (in the works) (BT-60 and BT-55)
Tornado (pre-planning) (BT-60)
Nova Payloader (planned) (BT-60)
Vigilante (planned) (BT-60)
Photon Probe (under consideration) (BT-60)
Photon Disruptor (under consideration) (BT-60)

I've got downscales too:

Optima (two, one's nearly flight ready (paint nose cone, apply decals), the other needs a lot of work) (BT-60)
Binder Design Velociraptor (one in the works, a 2nd one planned) (BT-60)

Last edited:
P7234510-1.jpg

Estes Wizard in BT-80.

164.jpg

Estes Ninja from an LOC Lil Nuke.

PT-60 (4.5 Household standard size) based BBII and Maniac Upscales (from BT-55 based models)
Wac Brant3.jpgand Grf eliminator log 1.jpg

I've upscaled the SCRAM to BT-50, BT-60 and a LOC 2.56". I've also upscaled the Viking, the Courier, Goblin, Cherokee-D (Now Cherokee-G), Comanche-3, Der Red Max, Sizzler, Echo, EAC Viper

6X RAMJET. That makes it just around 6 feet tall. 4" core with 7.67phenolic outer skin. Got an 8x cut out. That has a 6" core with 10.5" outer tubing.

I have:
Centuri Astro1 BT60
Centuri Payloader BT60
Centuri Groove Tube BT60
Estes Scorpion (2 stager) BT60
Estes Star Wars Proton Torpedo BT60
Estes Star Trek rocket (same as the Proton Torpedo but different colors and tube wrap) BT60
Estes Citation Patriot BT80
Estes Icarus BT60
Estes Astron Ranger BT80
Estes Sky Hook Roughly a BT55 (actually a Semroc SLS sky Hook)

I have in mind to build a couple more.
Alpha BT60 and BT80
Centuri Centurion BT80
Estes Bandit (the one with the baffle system) BT80
Estes Challenger 1 BT80

Completed

Starblazer X-20 2.6"

In progress

Torellian Invader 2.6"

Not yet started

Satellite Interceptor 2.6"

G.D.

Built an upscale of the Enerjet Aero-Dart to fly at NARAM-52.

Carl McLawhorn of Semroc laser-cut the fins and fin slots in the body tube.
I made sure Carl saw the model before I flew it. He even posed for a picture while holding it.

The model had a great flight and recovery.
Maxi-Aero-Dart with Enerjet Aero-Dart.jpg Carl McLawhorn of Semroc displays Bob Sanford's upscale Enerjet Aero-Dart model made with custom.jpgBob Sanford's upscale Enerjet Aero-Dart model launches on an AeroTech F20-4W motor.jpg

scratch_mach10_04.jpg

Centuri Mach 10

taurii.jpg

Centuri Taurus

semroc_sls_vectorv04.jpg

Centuri Vector V

image-scram-.jpg

Centuri Scram Jet

Groove Tube.jpg

Centuri Groove Tube

Last edited:
This is my 3.9" FatBoy. PML Quantum tube , Scott Glass nose cone, 38MM mount with Slimline retainer and graphics by Stickershock. The motor mount extends all the way into the nose cone. No parachute protector needed as the chute is wrapped around the motor mount and pulled out when the nose cone is ejected.

3.9FatboyFOTF11.25.jpg

Next is my 7.5" Fatboy. Curtis Turner nose cone, Red arrow 7.5" body tube With one wrap of 6.5 oz. Carbon fiber, center 98MM motor mount with three 38MM and three 29MM tubes. Electronics are located in bays between the fins. The Altimeter was an RRC2 Mini and the Air starts were controlled with a Pet2 timer. Again Graphics by Stickershock. It has flown on an L, three Is and three Hs.

BOB Launch 2010 002.web.jpg

I'll have to really try to ge a photo of my 6X. It will never fly again but when I go for my 3rd next fall at XPRS or maybe up here I have a 8X cut out and ready to build from a long time ago :)

I wanna see that!

Hi there! Here's a couple of pix of an upscale Alpha III, and an upscale Viking. The "real" ones are next to each of these. I haven't flown either of these yet. I think I need to watch ther impulse on the Viking, I'm afraid of fin flutter on those. The decals on both are supplied by Mark at Sticker Shock. :) Phil L.Picture 372.jpgPicture 371.jpg

Here is my son Ben (12) holding out upscale of the Estes Super Alpha. The kit was a Mad Cow Big Fizz. I was doing a build thread https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?44204-Mad-Cow-Big-Fizz-Build and someone said it was similar to the Alpha design if it had a different nose cone. So I ordered the longer NC from Mad Cow and painted it to look like the Super Alpha. With the help of Mark at Stickershock we named it "Super Alpha 38" to designate the 38mm motor mount.

IMG_20130518_102516_511.jpg2013-03-14_18-35-53_515.jpg2013-03-14_18-36-04_627.jpg

Back