In Need of a Tiltometer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z_wright

Reaction score
I am a part of a team currently working on designing and building a two stage high powered rocket. I am searching for a Tiltometer. I realize that they are no longer in production and that is why I am in search of one. I have heard that the Ravens are able to do a small bit of this using some of the conditional statements in the programing, however I was hoping to be able to find something that would allow a safer, more vertical flight. So here is what I am really asking:

1)Does anyone know of a place where I would still be able to acquire a titlometer?
2)If not buying one, has anyone heard of someone building one, using an arduino or other similar controller?
3)Any suggestions for programming the Raven in a way that would create a more vertical flight of the second stage (besides just a specific altitude by a specific time after launch)?

Any and all help or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Nothing will make it go straighter.

I'm sure that something with enough processing power could be used as a tiltometer, though. You could look into the Teensy 3.0, which is, well, teensy, and it has a 32-bit processor.

Before I get more comments regarding the "straighter flight", I realize that nothing will make the rocket go "straighter", but there are obviously things that will help ensure that the second stage ignites while the rocket is vertical, or close to it. I will look into the Teensy 3.0

I just ordered this yesterday to play with this idea (among others):

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11486

Video of some tests:
[video=youtube;-UKBL-VDs14]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UKBL-VDs14[/video]

You could probably do it with something a little cheaper (gyroscope only).

TeleMega from AltusMetrum may provide what you're looking for.

According to their web page, it's now in production and the first run of boards should be available in early December.

-Kevin

An even better alternative is active stabilization. See https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?51513-Fly-Straight-Up&p=629602#post629602 using https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?51513-Fly-Straight-Up&p=629632#post629632 The main controller is $64 from Hobby King and required only 2 RC servos some linkage and a battery. A small forward payload bay with servo controlled canards will keep the rocket going straight up.

This was a great NARAM R&D project by a smart young woman who participates in Internat competitions.

Bob

AltusMetrum has released their TeleMega, which incorporates this same functionality into an altimeter.

-Kevin

AltusMetrum has released their TeleMega, which incorporates this same functionality into an altimeter.

-Kevin

Yes, but if you don't need (yet) another altimeter and/or are happy with your current alt functionality then...

Yes, but if you don't need (yet) another altimeter and/or are happy with your current alt functionality then...

??

If you need tilt-checking functionality, I don't see how a Tiltometer, which as far as I know requires another altimeter's functionality to actually initiate an event, would ever be preferable to the TeleMega (assuming the tilt-restriction functionality is identical), aside from price.

??

If you need tilt-checking functionality, I don't see how a Tiltometer, which as far as I know requires another altimeter's functionality to actually initiate an event, would ever be preferable to the TeleMega (assuming the tilt-restriction functionality is identical), aside from price.

I have used the Tiltometer for two purposes. One is to detect tilt, and how the two units compare here will be known before long. The second is to provide a measure of safety specifically for two-stage flights. The list of features can be found elsewhere, but I have enough experience with the unit to say that I believe it performs exactly as advertised. The TeleMega is likely just as safe. For the moment, however, any signal that is to light the motor my head is next to will first pass through the Tiltometer.

Jim

??

I guess if you were starting from "ground zero" then yes, but I have 8+ great (nearly new) alts I have confidence in and GPS and radio beacons out the wazoo, thus 2/3rds of the TeleMega I don't want or need. I do though need a tilt-checking function. So much so that I have a working proto on the workbench. Unfortunately, my design has too much angle variability. In any case both the Tiltometer and Transolve TripleFire will be used to assure safety on two upcoming large builds.

Last edited:
I guess if you were starting from "ground zero" then yes, but I have 8+ great (nearly new) alts I have confidence in and GPS and radio beacons out the wazoo, thus 2/3rds of the TeleMega I don't want or need. I do though need a tilt-checking function. So much so that I have a working proto on the workbench. Unfortunately, my design has too much angle variability. In any case both the Tiltometer and Transolve TripleFire will be used to assure safety on two upcoming large builds.

That makes sense. In safety critical circumstances, a good track record can be more important than integration (which would simplify setup and use in an actual application).

Latest posts

Back