RDC - Rawhide (F3) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solomoriah

Reaction score
I needed to make the minimum order size from Semroc (I was buying parts) so I threw this one in to fill up the order form. It's pretty simple, but you can't beat the classics.

attachment.php

semroc-rawhide.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the RDC Rawhide (F3) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the RDC Rawhide (F3) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

RDC: Rawhide: F3
Semroc: Rawhide: KV-19

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
RDC Rawhide (F3) Basic Information.

rocket_development_corp_logo.gif
Rocket Development Corporation (RDC)

MODEL NAME: Rawhide Also known as:

NUMBER: F3

Introduced: 1966
Final Year: 1969
Designer: Irv Wait

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Streamer
Stages: 1
Length: 13"
Diameter:
Span:
Weight: 28.8 g

Mfg. Description: Get 'em up, move 'em out with RAWHIDE. Nothing fancy about this rocket; just rugged, reliable and excellent for the beginner. (RDC 1966 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

rdc-rawhide%20f3-1966%20cat.jpg
1966 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Semroc Rawhide (KV-19) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

MODEL NAME: Rawhide Also known as:

NUMBER: KV-19

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Irv Wait, Carl McLawhorn

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Streamer
Stages: 1
Length: 12.2" (31.0 cm)
Diameter: 0.759" (1.9 cm)
Span: 3.3" (8.3 cm)
Weight: 0.5 oz (14.2 g)

Mfg. Description: The Rawhide was first released in 1966 as an entry-level single stage rocket with streamer recovery. Sharing many design features with the competing Estes Astron Mark II and Centuri Micron, the Raw-hide was also a popular first rocket for beginners. The original Rawhide had a Part #G29 hardwood nose cone and later models were migrated to balsa nose cones. The Rawhide was RDC Kit# F3 and was introduced with a price of $1.50.

The Retro Repro Rawhide is updated by using la-ser-cut fins. The original hardwood nose cone is replaced by a lighter, easier to finish balsa nose cone. The streamer is slightly wider than the origi-nal to enhance visibility during recovery. The origi-nal rubber shock cord is replaced with an elastic cord for longer life. The original method of slitting the body tube to anchor the shock cord has been replaced by a Kevlar® cord for greater reliability. (Instruction Blurb)

=====

1966 Retro Repro (Semroc 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

semroc-rawhide%20kv19-2007%20web.jpg
2007 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

semroc-rawhide%20kv19-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

semroc-rawhide%20kv19-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Mine is the Semroc version with a different paint scheme and homemade decal.

I remember this kit. One thing that was unique about this kit was nose cone was made of hardwood instead of balsa. It was certainly durable.

Interestingly enough, balsa *is* a hardwood. According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ochroma, " Being a deciduous angiosperm, balsa is classified as a hardwood despite the wood itself being very soft. It is the softest commercial hardwood."
If this is accurate then this is one of those times where the scientific community is disconnected from practical terms. To classify balsa as a hardwood is so counterintuitive to language it renders the word useless in any practical sense.

Rant over.

If this is accurate then this is one of those times where the scientific community is disconnected from practical terms. To classify balsa as a hardwood is so counterintuitive to language it renders the word useless in any practical sense.

Rant over.
Tell you what: Follow the links. See what the definitions are and how they're applied. It's very similar to the classification of a tomato as a fruit, not a vegetable. From my reading on the subject, not being very exhaustive, it would appear that longleaf pine, Douglas fir and yew are all harder than several hardwoods, not just balsa.

Back