Going For My Canadian Level 1-3 HPR Certification! - Wildman Shape Shifter Jr...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Level 1 cert was a success! Couldn't have gone better:) Absolutely no damage. It was a bit too windy today to try for level 2. I'm going to try for that tomorrow if the winds cooperate.

Full report (with pics) coming soon.

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

In the end I didn't end up attempting my level 2 today. It was still windy, and now overcast with a ceiling of only 900' so we just decided to call it good, pack up, teardown the range and head home. L2 will have to wait till next year I guess. At least I got my L1:)

Thanks captain! Hopefully you guys get some rain so you can fly a few. I miss seeing your builds and flight reports around here...

Thanks captain! Hopefully you guys get some rain so you can fly a few. I miss seeing your builds and flight reports around here...

I admit, I've lost my desire to build. One club lost its launchsite, and the other is too dry. I don't know when we'll have another launch. Seems pointless to build rockets not knowing when or if I'll get to launch again.

I admit, I've lost my desire to build. One club lost its launchsite, and the other is too dry. I don't know when we'll have another launch. Seems pointless to build rockets not knowing when or if I'll get to launch again.

:sad::cry::(
I also miss your builds, some of the best threads out there.
Nate

Here is a video of the Level 1 flight.

[video=youtube;LxQudgKNGnI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxQudgKNGnI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Level 2 attempt in 4 days!

Our club is having another launch in Gagetown this Saturday (Oct 11th), so I have another chance to get my level 2 this year! The weather forecast looks great, and a club member will be lending my a radio tracker to put in it. Wish me luck!:wink::D

Level 2 attempt in 4 days!

Our club is having another launch in Gagetown this Saturday (Oct 11th), so I have another chance to get my level 2 this year! The weather forecast looks great, and a club member will be lending my a radio tracker to put in it. Wish me luck!:wink::D

Good luck!! I'll also be flying rockets that day, I'm glad your weather forecast looks better than ours:)

Here is a video of the level 2 flight:
[video=youtube;uVE5MjqU4Tk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVE5MjqU4Tk[/video]

So I'll admit... since getting my certs I've been kind of focused only on HPR. I have lots of ideas about what I wan't to do next in HPR, but I'm going to hold off ordering stuff until the black Friday/Saturday sales...

Today though I had the urge to build.... Soooooooo..... after a long hiatus, work on the Shape Shifter Mini continues :)

I got the rear CR and Aero Pack glued on using JB weld, and also installed the rail buttons on the airframe. Tomorrow once the JB weld cures, I'll install the motor mount and possibly some of the fins. The goal is to have this rocket finished before the black sales.
IMG_2350.jpg IMG_2351.jpg

The nose cone that came with the kit was really warped. I contacted Widman about it and they just responded with the price of a new cone, so I let it drop. I'm retiring my Mini Eagle Claw, so I'll be using it's cone on the Shape Shifter Mini as it's nice and straight. I can't say I'm a fan of these new polycarbonate cones... I much prefer the filament wound ones.

So I'll admit... since getting my certs I've been kind of focused only on HPR. I have lots of ideas about what I wan't to do next in HPR, but I'm going to hold off ordering stuff until the black Friday/Saturday sales...

Today though I had the urge to build.... Soooooooo..... after a long hiatus, work on the Shape Shifter Mini continues :)

I got the rear CR and Aero Pack glued on using JB weld, and also installed the rail buttons on the airframe. Tomorrow once the JB weld cures, I'll install the motor mount and possibly some of the fins. The goal is to have this rocket finished before the black sales.
View attachment 246301 View attachment 246302

The nose cone that came with the kit was really warped. I contacted Widman about it and they just responded with the price of a new cone, so I let it drop. I'm retiring my Mini Eagle Claw, so I'll be using it's cone on the Shape Shifter Mini as it's nice and straight. I can't say I'm a fan of these new polycarbonate cones... I much prefer the filament wound ones.

I agree about the cones. I realized a while ago mine was warped, but I think it's a bit late to try for a replacement. The FWFG cones are awesome. If you wouldn't mind, could you measure the wall thickness of the NC on you Shapeshifter Jr?
Oh, and the Mini is looking good- what kind of motors do you have planned for it?
Nate

Sounds like what I call the "Tim 'the Tool Man' Taylor" syndrome. More power! ;)

Personally, I'm a big fan of airframes that can fit within the limitations of a "model rocket" with a G motor, but are still capable of flying on bigger motors. The problem with purely HPR rockets is, they're hangar queens except for the one or two events we have each year.

I agree about the cones. I realized a while ago mine was warped, but I think it's a bit late to try for a replacement. The FWFG cones are awesome. If you wouldn't mind, could you measure the wall thickness of the NC on you Shapeshifter Jr?
Oh, and the Mini is looking good- what kind of motors do you have planned for it?
Nate

I would but unfortunately the batteries in my callipers are dead. I left it on overnight (again)...
Once I get new batteries I'd be happy to measure it for you.

My plan for the SS Mini is for it to be a replacement MPR bird for both my Mini Eagle Claw, and scratch built Firelight (both of which are now retired). I'll mostly be flying it on F and G motors. Might get a DD upgrade kit for it at some point.

I've seen so many reports of warped polycarbonate cones, that I think I got really lucky with the one on my Mini Eagle Claw.

Sounds like what I call the "Tim 'the Tool Man' Taylor" syndrome. More power! ;)

Personally, I'm a big fan of airframes that can fit within the limitations of a "model rocket" with a G motor, but are still capable of flying on bigger motors. The problem with purely HPR rockets is, they're hangar queens except for the one or two events we have each year.

Maybe:wink: I'm looking to build a new HPR so that I have a backup for when I redo L2 for senior status (as I'm now 18 as of a few days ago). I'm looking to go 3" or 4" with a 54mm motor mount so as to be able to accommodate larger motors yet still fly on an I (and maybe an H) to lower altitudes, and a J or K won't take it to the moon.:)

I think you are mixing up the new polycarbonate cones with the old poured polyurethane ones.
The old ones have a very thick wall thickness. the new ones are much lighter.

I think you are mixing up the new polycarbonate cones with the old poured polyurethane ones.

Right you are..
Polyurethane, that was the word, polycarbonate is the new stuff.
Sorry Wildman :blush:

Oh. I was unaware you'd switched. I take it the new polycarbonate ones have better quality control? I must have the polyurethane ones (as this was purchased last year).

Using Rocketpoxy I epoxied the motor mount into the airframe.

I'll give it an hour or two to cure and then epoxy on the first fin. EDIT: I just reread the data sheet, and it says the handling time is 3-4 hours as opposed to the 1-2 hours I was remembering, so the fins will wait till tomorrow.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1415914784.172652.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

Last edited:
Back