Going For My Canadian Level 1-3 HPR Certification! - Wildman Shape Shifter Jr...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually - I just read through Walldiver7's thread on static ports, which linked (indirectly) to this: https://www.vernk.com/AltimeterPortSizing.htm Based on that, the formula in Modern HP Rocketry 2 is bogus, so ignore what I said.

I see how they got it from the rule of thumb of one 1/4" hole per 100 cubic inches of av-bay volume, but it doesn't scale that way. That doesn't mean that a 25 cubic inch bay (which is about what the Shapeshifter has) needs a hole 1/4 the diameter, it needs a hole 1/4 the AREA, which is HALF the diameter. Therefore, your 1/8" measurement is right, and my 1/16" is wrong. Fortunately, mine is easy to fix. :)

Actually - I just read through Walldiver7's thread on static ports, which linked (indirectly) to this: https://www.vernk.com/AltimeterPortSizing.htm Based on that, the formula in Modern HP Rocketry 2 is bogus, so ignore what I said.

I see how they got it from the rule of thumb of one 1/4" hole per 100 cubic inches of av-bay volume, but it doesn't scale that way. That doesn't mean that a 25 cubic inch bay (which is about what the Shapeshifter has) needs a hole 1/4 the diameter, it needs a hole 1/4 the AREA, which is HALF the diameter. Therefore, your 1/8" measurement is right, and my 1/16" is wrong. Fortunately, mine is easy to fix. :)

Good to know.:)

Nose and upper section painted black. Absolutely no paint runs - a first for me:)
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1397852524.491593.jpg

Also continued work filling and sanding the fillets. I'm hoping to get the booster painted this weekend.

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

I painted the booster section this afternoon. I don't have any photos at the moment, but I'll post some soon.

I had 2 "almost" paint runs, but caught them early so they're both pretty small. Also, despite my best efforts, the Bondo had a few pinholes in it, which caused the paint to bubble a little on the fillets. Nothing drastic though. I'm hoping as the paint cures the bubbles will disappear; and if need be I have a bit more paint left to do another pass on the fin area.

Pics!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1397951218.927242.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1397951261.698517.jpg

As I had hoped, almost all the bubbles virtually disappeared as the paint cured. There are still a few imperfections (Specifically around the fillets and vent band), but I'm not going to attempt to fix them.

Next, it's time for some StickerShocking!:grin:

Last edited:
That looks really good. What kind of paint are you using?

Here she is in all her glory!

It's a nice day today, so I think I'll take it outside for some better photos.

BIG thanks to Mark @ StickerShock23 for the decals! He did an amazing fantastic job.

13928897196_2bacb320cb_b.jpg

That's beautiful!
The Vinyl looks great- between You and Mark, It turned out incredible! That black and green really does look good, no other color is quite as good.

Nate

Wow! Nice job on the vinyl!!

looks great!!!

Thanks!
That's beautiful!
The Vinyl looks great- between You and Mark, It turned out incredible! That black and green really does look good, no other color is quite as good.

Nate

I have to agree! Green and black just always seem to work well together.

Looks awesome!

Thank you sir!

Looks Familiar ;) Nice!

Yeah, but there is a difference: mine says Jr.:wink: :p

Yeah I left that part off. Originally the 5" was supposed to be 1st, I'm still deciding if my 5" will use the same vinyl design.

...And of course to do a build thread properly, one must include a photo of the builder and the rocket...

Yes I'm wearing PJ's...

13932590692_496c472602_c.jpg

Yeah I left that part off. Originally the 5" was supposed to be 1st, I'm still deciding if my 5" will use the same vinyl design.

I think you should use the same design. (Maybe if you want a change, go for a different colour... Chrome would look cool...)

2 questions for you...

1. Did you take inspiration from me for the pj's? :p
2. Isn't it April? HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU GUYS STILL HAVE SNOW?!?!!??!

...And of course to do a build thread properly, one must include a photo of the builder and the rocket...

Yes I'm wearing PJ's...

13932590692_496c472602_c.jpg

Snowed in Calgary 2 days ago lol, she looks great Sabastian! Are you going to fly her before your cert flight?

It was snowing Friday night in Limestone, Maine. Still more than a foot on the ground in most places! I can only imagine that Canada would be worse! Awesome job on the rocket! The decals really pop. I have been following the build for a while and hope that your L1-L3 go well. I will be painting my own Jr. in just a few days.

Snowed in Calgary 2 days ago lol, she looks great Sabastian! Are you going to fly her before your cert flight?

Thanks. No, I have no intention of flying her before the cert. In long mode she's too heavy for G's anyway.

It was snowing Friday night in Limestone, Maine. Still more than a foot on the ground in most places! I can only imagine that Canada would be worse! Awesome job on the rocket! The decals really pop. I have been following the build for a while and hope that your L1-L3 go well. I will be painting my own Jr. in just a few days.

Thanks! Post pics when you paint yours. Which Jr?

Awesome job Sebastian!

As for snow in April, we still have some left in spots here also. At least we got acclimatized from our long winter, just saw a guy riding his bike today wearing shorts, t-shirt and winter gloves, I guess his hands were cold :p

Just finished up the single deploy recovery system this morning. She is now 100% ready for the level 1 cert flight!:w:

Now that I've got the final weight (2083 grams) it's time to start simulating motors in OpenRocket.:)

That my friends, concludes the build (for now anyway (I've still got the av-bay to do at some point)) of my Shape Shifter Jr. Stay tuned though, there is still the mini to finish.

Congrats! Do you have an adapter to fly this on 29mm motors?
Please so a thread or at least take pics. with the AV bay. I'll be building my Lite, and will eventually convert it do DD- I'll be watching your av-bay closely:)

Nate

Congrats! Do you have an adapter to fly this on 29mm motors?
Please so a thread or at least take pics. with the AV bay. I'll be building my Lite, and will eventually convert it do DD- I'll be watching your av-bay closely:)

Nate

Yes, I purchased a 38-29mm Aeropack adapter for it.
IMG_1608.jpg

I'll be documenting the Av-bay in this thread when I get around to it. I messed up while drilling the bulkheads, so I'll need to get some new ones before tho'.

Please do a build thread for your Darkstar Lite!:)

Back