• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Auctioning off OOP kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did send him a PM... back in late November, when I was "flush"ish.

Your point though is noted. I didn't mean any disrespect to him.

Last edited:
Here is the Round 7 bidding status as of noon, January 14:

Black Brant II $22.00 $23.00
Black Brant III $18.00
Mini Bomarc $18.00
MX-774 $20.00 $22.00
Nike Apache $15.00 $15.00
Omega $40.00 $60.00
Russian Vostok $25.00 $30.00
semi-scale Honest John $24.00 $27.00
Skydart $47.00 $48.00
Taurus-1 $10.00
Tomahawk $50.00
Trident II $40.00

I did send him a PM... back in late November, when I was "flush"ish.

Your point though is noted. I didn't mean any disrespect to him.

I lurk here almost everyday and post on occasion. I replied to another thread you were asking about the original Desind movies. If I can make a suggestion. You mentioned for all the world to see you cannot afford to buy the Omega at what you offered. So why dont you build a clone ? This is not a difficult model to do ( I did 2 of them ) and if this isn't your thing then order the Semroc model. While your there you can order the transition, body tube and nose to also clone the Cineroc. I can send you some pictures of the sled to hold a gum cam to get footage as good if not better than an original Cineroc. You'll end up with something you will really like, you can support a great vendor, you get to build something, and you dont have to announce to everyone on TRF that you are financially strapped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMCsbZNRDGI

I lurk here almost everyday and post on occasion. I replied to another thread you were asking about the original Desind movies. If I can make a suggestion. You mentioned for all the world to see you cannot afford to buy the Omega at what you offered. So why dont you build a clone ? This is not a difficult model to do ( I did 2 of them ) and if this isn't your thing then order the Semroc model. While your there you can order the transition, body tube and nose to also clone the Cineroc. I can send you some pictures of the sled to hold a gum cam to get footage as good if not better than an original Cineroc. You'll end up with something you will really like, you can support a great vendor, you get to build something, and you dont have to announce to everyone on TRF that you are financially strapped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMCsbZNRDGI

Hi Jim,

I think it is generally known that my finances are not good. I have a Semroc Omega, As well as parts enough to make another from Estes/Semroc parts. Except I don't have the Cineroc camera, the decals, the OEM parachute, the instructions, the fin marking guide (has the rail standoffs), and the Face Card.

Semroc's decals are too dark, and are not an exact match to the Estes kit I'm trying to recreate. Sandman's decals are very nice, but there are visible differences between what was produced on an ALPS printer, and (presumably) the silkscreened version of the originals.

My goal is to recreate the original (visually), as used by Estes, Cineroc (Cat. No. 701-RC-8) (combination offer) in their 1974 catalog. Not a close approximation, an exact reproduction of the appearance. This is the rocket I fell in love with back in the 80's, this is the rocket that brought me back as a twice baked BAR.

As I've said before, I've got a short film concept that takes place in the 1970's where the Cineroc is a major plot element. I want to have very close, tight shots of the finished rocket (the entire concept was designed around the Cineroc). I'd also like to be my own property master for this film seeing how the Omega's, and Cineroc's are IMHO disappearing fast, I want to make certain that one is around for it. A portion of the film could use Herb's authentic Cineroc films (with permission/licensing), and that's why I'm on the hunt for them as well.

I also have a time issue. I will probably not be able to run with this script while I'm still in country (Sell it maybe?). Lord Willing, I'll be in Taiwan (teaching English) in just over a year. When I return, I'm not sure I'd be able to find an original to work from (much less afford them at ebay prices).

I'm also hoping to create a Digital version of the Cineroc, The footage from the gum cam is fine and all, but I want mine to be indistinguishable from an original while on the pad (The gum cam doesn't fit that bill). This means that the 808 (I have) will need to be partially disassembled to use the periscope that the original used. The Cineroc is IMHO Rocketry History, and needs to be preserved, as well as brought into the current era.

Now if someone is willing to give me (or sell me) the parts listed above, I'd be most appreciative, and wouldn't need an original.

Last edited:
Hi Jim,

I think it is generally known that my finances are not good. I have a Semroc Omega, As well as parts enough to make another from Estes/Semroc parts. Except I don't have the Cineroc camera, the decals, the OEM parachute, the instructions, the fin marking guide (has the rail standoffs), and the Face Card.

Semroc's decals are too dark, and are not an exact match to the Estes kit I'm trying to recreate. Sandman's decals are very nice, but there are visible differences between what was produced on an ALPS printer, and (presumably) the silkscreened version of the originals.

My goal is to recreate the original (visually), as used by Estes, Cineroc (Cat. No. 701-RC-8) (combination offer) in their 1974 catalog. Not a close approximation, an exact reproduction of the appearance. This is the rocket I fell in love with back in the 80's, this is the rocket that brought me back as a twice baked BAR.

As I've said before, I've got a short film concept that takes place in the 1970's where the Cineroc is a major plot element. I want to have very close, tight shots of the finished rocket (the entire concept was designed around the Cineroc). I'd also like to be my own property master for this film seeing how the Omega's, and Cineroc's are IMHO disappearing fast, I want to make certain that one is around for it. A portion of the film could use Herb's authentic Cineroc films (with permission/licensing), and that's why I'm on the hunt for them as well.

I also have a time issue. I will probably not be able to run with this script while I'm still in country (Sell it maybe?). Lord Willing, I'll be in Taiwan (teaching English) in just over a year. When I return, I'm not sure I'd be able to find an original to work from (much less afford them at ebay prices).

I'm also hoping to create a Digital version of the Cineroc, The footage from the gum cam is fine and all, but I want mine to be indistinguishable from an original while on the pad (The gum cam doesn't fit that bill). This means that the 808 (I have) will need to be partially disassembled to use the periscope that the original used. The Cineroc is IMHO Rocketry History, and needs to be preserved, as well as brought into the current era.

Now if someone is willing to give me (or sell me) the parts listed above, I'd be most appreciative, and wouldn't need an original.

We will have to agree to disagree. Alps decals look better than anything your going to pull out of a bag from Estes 20+ years ago.

With some work you can make the clone of the camera look exactly like the original. You can't tell my Cineroc is a clone. The finish is like plastic even though it is balsa. The hood and the mirror are identical to the original. Yes it is different on the inside... better.

FYI for historical correctness... Herb never painted or decaled the Omega boosters to look like the face card. Most of the time they had no paint at all. Same with the Cineroc, no yellow tape or white "Cineroc" decal like in the catalog or my clone.

We will have to agree to disagree. Alps decals look better than anything your going to pull out of a bag from Estes 20+ years ago.

With some work you can make the clone of the camera look exactly like the original. You can't tell my Cineroc is a clone. The finish is like plastic even though it is balsa. The hood and the mirror are identical to the original. Yes it is different on the inside... better.

FYI for historical correctness... Herb never painted or decaled the Omega boosters to look like the face card. Most of the time they had no paint at all. Same with the Cineroc, no yellow tape or white "Cineroc" decal like in the catalog or my clone.

Ok Jim,

As for the decals, I can hope... And use Microscale Film. I have a number of 30+ year-old plastic kits where I removed the decals from, and stored together that still look good. I'd Microscale them of course to be safe if I ever get around to using them.

Now you've got me intrigued, The gum cam Cinerocs I've seen were made by Doug Sam and Tim (tbzep). Their shrouds didn't look authentic (Tim's was close though). Your saying that you used the measurements of the original and was able to recreate that? That I'd like to see more of.

As for the plastic, I'm hoping to someday have three Cinerocs... One matching the catalog model (for me), the other two would be naked plastic (if possible)(for the short film). The finish on the originals (at least in every photo I've seen except for the catalog photo) has an apparently different plastic used for the nosecone/shroud/transition and the main body of the camera. One of the naked plastic ones would be digital, the other would be film.... OR... the digital guts could be swapped out for the film version. For the film, a 3D printed copy of the film version is acceptable, so long as it is indistinguishable from the real Cineroc. The digital version would do the real flying and filming. I think it's easier to make a digital image look like film than the other way around, plus it's cheaper/flight, and offers longer filming windows.

I'm also not trying to recreate Herb's rockets, I'm just wanting to use his footage (all nice and legal like). However, if a filmmaker wants to portray Herb's life, that is good info to know. Oh, the Estes 1974 catalog (<- Link to ninfinger.org) does have black and blue decal (on the Omega seen on page 49), and the yellow tape, and the white decal on the camera:

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Last edited:
Tramper,

Imagine if you had bought a single share of Microsoft and Apple during their IPOs. You could have bought Herb's entire collection.

If I may interrupt the nostalgia, I'd like to supply the 10:00pm bidding status: no new bids this afternoon.

There have been no bids at all on the Black Brant III and the Taurus -1. Come on folks! You can own a piece of rocketry history for a pittance!

If I may interrupt the nostalgia, I'd like to supply the 10:00pm bidding status: no new bids this afternoon. There have been no bids at all on the Black Brant III and the Taurus -1. Come on folks! You can own a piece of rocketry history for a pittance!
Say what?!! C'mon my fellow Canucks, hit those keyboard keys and let's see some real bidding action on the Black Brants!!

PM sent. Yeah, yeah, I know; but you just can't have enough rockets that say CARDE on them!:wink:

Here is the Round 7 bidding status as of noon, January 15:

Black Brant II $23.00 $30.00
Black Brant III $18.00 $20.00
Mini Bomarc $18.00 $25.00
MX-774 $22.00
Nike Apache $15.00
Omega $60.00
Russian Vostok $30.00
semi-scale Honest John $27.00 $30.00
Skydart $48.00
Taurus-1 $10.00 $26.27
Tomahawk $50.00
Trident II $40.00

Well all good things come to an end. Round 7 is over.:sigh:

Kit NameWinning BidWinner
Tomahawk$50.00rocket23085
Russian Vostok$30.00HolgiD
mini Bomarc$25.00Fuse Eh!
Black Brant II$30.00Fuse Eh!
MX-774$22.00massrokit
Skydart$49.00old school dood
Taurus-1$26.67rosco_racer
Black Brant III$20.00Heavy Light
Nike Apache$20.00conman13
Trident II$45.00sodmeister
Omega$80.00K'Tesh
semi-scale Honest John$45.00RoyAtl

I will be in touch with the winners via private messages in the morning

Last edited:
For the most part, you've been a great group of people to work with. Many of you have told me you were able to pick up a kit you had been searching for. That's terrific. I'm glad I could help you with that.

Clear skies to all of you.

[video=youtube;-_kwXNVCaxY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_kwXNVCaxY[/video]

To those who were following my quest for the Omega, I'd like to say that I received some support from a Friend (who wants to remain anonymous) to allow me to get back into the auction.

With this, I'll be able to realize a 30+ year-old dream...

Thanks All! And an EXTRA BIG THANKS to my Friend, and L.W. Bercini for making this possible!!!!

God Bless!
Jim

Last edited:
For the most part, you've been a great group of people to work with. Many of you have told me you were able to pick up a kit you had been searching for. That's terrific. I'm glad I could help you with that.

Clear skies to all of you.
Lawrence,
Just want to say thanks for the novel idea, expertly run. I picked up a couple kits I'm really happy to have a chance to own. Truly a pleasure dealing with you.

Steve

This entire thing was awesome and fun. I was able to grab an Optima I've been looking for for years.

More than that I enjoyed seeing all the old kits and watching to see what came up and what it went for.

Well all good things come to an end. Round 7 is over.:sigh:

Kit NameWinning BidWinner
mini Bomarc$25.00Fuse Eh!
Black Brant II$30.00Fuse Eh!

I will be in touch with the winners via private messages in the morning

:grin:
And pardon me while I wax nostalgic for a moment and remember back to a time when Canada had nuclear tipped missiles and THE BEST SOUNDING ROCKETS EVER!!!!

Okay, I'm done. Many thanks to Lawrence for putting on such a great auction!!

Also from my side a big THANK YOU!!! to Lawrence for running this auction. It enabled me to get some kits I really like for reasonable money. The only bad thing is that I missed the first rounds.... :eyeroll:

I also need to say THANKYOU Lawrence !

This was a great auction ! just too bad i missed a few of the earlier ones.......oh well, I scored some great kits.

As always ,it`s a great pleasure to deal with Lawrence ,in the past and in the future ,a true gentleman !

Paul t

I too would like to express my gratitude to Lawrence for offering these wonderful kits to us Forums members!

Thank you!

Oh man! I didn't win nothin'..(kicks the dirt and pouts).... Yes, Thank you Lawrence, I know that took alot of effort and coordination, much appreciated.

Thanks Lawrence!

The Omega today... Well Packaged and in good shape.

Wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again.

Thanks to him, and my Friend for helping me reach this goal... Photos are uploading now.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim :D

I'm pretty eager to get my hands on that Black Brant III. Too bad he ran out of boxes on last Saturday. Life, eh? The wait just makes the moment of arrival that much sweeter. You, sir, are a master suspense. :D

Yesterday, I received my last check in the mail. Yes, it is 6 months later, but one fellow fell on hard times. He worked with me to make small payments until he had it paid off.

I think it is an excellent commentary on this community that 100% of the winners paid what they owed, especially since payment was not expected until after they received their purchases! :wave:

and a thank you for offering these wonderful kits to us on this forum!

Back