Handheld APRS decode solution for under $100

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigredbee

Reaction score
I bought a Baofeng UV-5RE from Amazon for about $45, and a bluetooth TNC from https://www.mobilinkd.com for about the same price. The TNC plugs into the audio output of the radio, and decodes the APRS packets from my BigRedBee APRS transmitter (or any other APRS transmitter). To display the decoded packet, the bluetooth TNC connects to an Android phone running APRSDROID.

So, assuming you have an Android phone, you've got a complete APRS decode setup with a minimum set of cables for under $100!

baofeng.jpg

Does that combo work any better than just using aprsdroid to decode the data via the mic?

Your post made me curious so I just tried out the mic and it actually worked really well. I was very surprised! I installed aprsdroid a while ago when I first got my ht but forgot about it until I read your post. Pretty neat!

Thanks for posting this!

I had the same thought after I posted -- you're right -- you don't need the hardware TNC since APRSDROID has a built-in software TNC. So now the price is down to under $50! My suspicion is that the hardware based TNC is going to be more robust than the software TNC, but I have no data to back this up.

Greg

You're probably right about it being more robust as there were a couple of packets that aprsdroid couldn't decode during the few minutes I played with it. Using a cable from the speaker output of the ht to the mic input on the phone might help too, but the wireless decode is just so cool!

And you can pick up a uv3 for <$30 shipped, bringing the cost down even more. I "splurged" on a uv82 myself ($50 + shipping from radio mart).

Do these radios have decent signal meters? I have found several different threads here and on other forums that seem to say they have one but it is "digital" on or off type. Not a true meter. What is the least one can spend on a radio similar to this and get a signal meter as well? Think this looks like the route I want to go for finding rockets. GPS as a main locator and if that signal is lost RDF to get closer. I have no experience with this equipment so it is all new to me. Getting what I can from other threads but no easy answers. I don't want to spend a ton on the radio. I'll save that for the BRB(s).

The Baofeng does NOT have a usable signal strength meter. I believe the Wouxon has the same problem. I'm sure there are others, but the Yaesu FT-277 (single band 70cm, 5 watts) is just $139 from hamradio.com

All the baofengs have useless s meters. Another option might be a yausu ft-60r (2m/440) for $145 at hamradio.com I don't have one, but the manual shows a nice lcd signal strength on the lcd.

0060lcd.jpg

Back