Question for micromeister

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allow me to jump in. I converted one around 1970 to fly. Simple BT-20 up the middle with a centering ring to allow room for the recovery device. I used a then standard NAR lead payload weight in the SLA section (tapered section where the luner module would go). Fly initially with a B3-3 motor, but still fly it occasionally with a C6-3 motor. My model is old, yellowed, has an incorrect paint patturn (followed the Airfix directions), but it will at least qualifiy in local competion. Don't have any digital pictures. Still have one of the original kits and will have to scoop up one of the new reissues before they are discontinued again.

Chas

A big apology: I was thinking about what I said and I mixed in details of two different 1Bs. The NAR lead weight (1 ounce) was in a 1/200 MPC Man In Space Saturn 1B.
For the Airfix, I ran a BT-20 up tp a BT-55 that was centered in the "S-IVB" section of the booster. The SLA was crammed with modeling clay. I glued a "L" shape of plastic sprue inside the SLA for the shock cord attachment. Recovered the two pieces separately so that the CM/SM/SLA portion could have a sling around the escape tower so that it all recovered horizontally to protect the tower. Balance point without C6-3 motor is above the fiddelly bits on the S-IVB section, about 10 inches from the tip of the escape tower. I do have the four outside H-1 motor nozzles around the BT-20 at the base.
Made a correction earlier, but it did not take. Flew the 1/200 MPC model on a B14-5. The Airfix 1/144 flies with a C6-3. It has been over 40 years since I built the 1/200.
Having trouble attaching pic. Will try again later or pm you if you like.

Chas

A big apology: I was thinking about what I said and I mixed in details of two different 1Bs. The NAR lead weight (1 ounce) was in a 1/200 MPC Man In Space Saturn 1B.
For the Airfix, I ran a BT-20 up tp a BT-55 that was centered in the "S-IVB" section of the booster. The SLA was crammed with modeling clay. I glued a "L" shape of plastic sprue inside the SLA for the shock cord attachment. Recovered the two pieces separately so that the CM/SM/SLA portion could have a sling around the escape tower so that it all recovered horizontally to protect the tower. Balance point without C6-3 motor is above the fiddelly bits on the S-IVB section, about 10 inches from the tip of the escape tower. I do have the four outside H-1 motor nozzles around the BT-20 at the base.
Made a correction earlier, but it did not take. Flew the 1/200 MPC model on a B14-5. The Airfix 1/144 flies with a C6-3. It has been over 40 years since I built the 1/200.
Having trouble attaching pic. Will try again later or pm you if you like.

Chas

See if this works. Again, I apologize for the confusion on my part.

Airfix Saturn 1B.jpg

Latest posts

Back