OpenRocket 13.11 Released!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarVac

Reaction score
What's new? UI tweaks.

Instead of hiding motor configurations in a dialog, it is now given a tab of its own in the header, which makes creating large lists of motors much faster, especially for clusters and staging.

Furthermore, the motor selection dialog is more focused towards letting you narrow down exactly what motor you want: you can set filter thresholds both above and below for impulse class, diameter, and length.

Other fun tweaks include sorting of simulations: you can organize them more easily to, for example, pick the biggest motor you can fly inside a given waiver, or to pick the fastest off-the-rail speed for a windy day.

Come and get it at https://openrocket.sourceforge.net/.

Thanks for everything you guys do for OpenRocket. It's a great piece of software!

:downloads:

OpenRocket has so far been pretty excellent to use, and it looks like this update fixes the two things I found most annoying about it!

Great job on the update and love the new motor filter, much easier to find the motors I'm looking to simulate now :cheers:

Thanks for Open Rocket and all the work you do to make it what it is. The latest update is exactly what was needed.

Thank you so much for everything you do with OR. it makes this level of simulation possible who can't afford the $100+ pricetag of Rocksim. it really is great!

I join in the general thanks, and then say, "but..."

Here's the simple rocket example when I open it in 13.09:
View attachment 153001

And here it is in 13.11:
View attachment 153000

Help! How did that rocket get so small?

The bottom panel can't be dragged any larger than that.

This is on a new (this year) MacBook Pro running OS X 10.8.5.

$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_25"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_25-b15)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode)

Rich,

pm me your email address. I want to ask you to try out some code changes.

Kevin

I'm still on OS 10.6.8....the panel with the rocket itself is fine, but the motor tube list on the configurations page is similarly too small....

added: oops - spoke too soon. I tried to drag the separator to change the size of the rocket design window and it snapped to a smaller one and will not let me make it bigger than in the second screen shot now.

Also, does anyone know if this version runs on OS 10.9 (Mavericks) without the crashes reported recently? I'd like to go to the later OS, but OpenRocket is something I want to have working when I do so.....

Screen shot 2013-11-08 at 8.33.39 AM.png

Screen shot 2013-11-08 at 8.37.52 AM.png

Last edited:
everything fine here, may be it's time you a PC with a nice resolution, what is the resolution on those Mac ? I see a lot of scroll bar I guess it way to low to be usefull

body_zps0b58115b.jpg

Last edited:
everything fine here, may be it's time you a PC with a nice resolution, what is the resolution on those Mac ? I see a lot of scroll bar I guess it way to low to be usefull

body_zps0b58115b.jpg

It's not a matter of the resolution being too low: it's a problem with the Apple-supplied JRE.

The new interface works fine on my netbook's postage-stamp-sized 1024x600 screen.

1280 x 800. But it's not a matter of resolution. Take a look for instance at the component buttons; they're drawn way too big, much larger than the icons in them. This and other spacing weirdness seems to be due to idiosyncrasies in Apple's distribution of Java.

View attachment 153011

Last edited:
Also, does anyone know if this version runs on OS 10.9 (Mavericks) without the crashes reported recently? I'd like to go to the later OS, but OpenRocket is something I want to have working when I do so.....

Since I tend to live on the edge (and upgraded to 10.9 without bothering to check if OR would work) I'll install this new version and report back when I get home.

Can you try saving to a different file? Maybe the file is not writable?

I am trying to save it as an .ork file (I even delete .rkt from the name)...I just tried giving it a completely different name...no joy

as qquake reported here, we had to open/save it with 3.05 then things work.

EDIT: I just saved it as another .rkt file, opened that file, ran sims, then was able to save as .ork.

Last edited:
Absolutely no issues on my XP launch field machine. Windows and fields drag to whereever I want them within reason.

Managing engines is really nice. I'm liking this.

1280 x 800. But it's not a matter of resolution.

800 line are you kidding me? we are in 2013. And you pay over $ 1000 for that ? , a $ 500 Dell laptop as better resolution and same CPU power.

I tried to work with qquake and I could not reproduce this problem. I would like to gather some more information from you since you seem to be able to reproduce it easily. Please start OpenRocket like this:

java -Dopenrocket.debug=true -jar OpenRocket.jar > o

(set the openrocket.debug flag and redirect output to a file named 'o'). Reproduce the bug then email the attachment to me or the openrocket-devel list

Thanks for your help

Kevin

I am trying to save it as an .ork file (I even delete .rkt from the name)...I just tried giving it a completely different name...no joy

as qquake reported here, we had to open/save it with 3.05 then things work.

EDIT: I just saved it as another .rkt file, opened that file, ran sims, then was able to save as .ork.

800 line are you kidding me? we are in 2013. And you pay over $ 1000 for that ? , a $ 500 Dell laptop as better resolution and same CPU power.

He has an apple, so do I. Won't go back to a PC.

BUT I digress back to the actual subject: No issues with OR 13.11 and Mavericks so far......

Yes, but you do have to eliminate Java 7 first, and let it run on Java 6, THEN it will work with Mavericks. OR and JAVA 7 don't like each other.

The new motor config interface is brilliant. Thanks for the update!

PM sent. Troll not fed.

a TROLL , you must look in your miror, look whay you post on a tread where we try to help a guy with a PC

"Get a Mac" is one of the most obnoxiously patronizing things you can tell someone on the Internet. Nevertheless... Get a Mac! For someone like yourself it would be the best thing you can do.

That crap you describe isn't the dafont web site. That's some kind of malware or sleazy toolbar infesting your system. It's possible to clean your system up and keep it clean but it requires knowledge and diligence. Or you could abandon the insecure horror that is Windows.

I've used Macs at home and work for over 25 years. NEVER had a virus, unwanted toolbar, or any of that crap.

There are lots of people for whom Windows is the right choice, mainly because there's some Windows-only software they absolutely must use, but for you I seriously recommend avoiding it. Used Macs can be a great buy. Check into it.

Linux >> all, in my opinion. It's free, it has no viruses, fewer driver issues than Windows (how, when most hardware was originally designed for Windows, I don't know), fewer issues with updated proprietary software ::coughjavacough:: than OSX has had recently, and the openness so that you can go in and change things when they break. And did I mention free? It's the obvious choice if you make your own computer.

That is all I have to say on the OS front.

Nonetheless, don't hate on the poor unfortunate people with lower screen resolutions than you, Area66. I understand your craving for resolution: I crave resolution too, but sometimes resolution isn't the be-all end-all.

Some people would rather spend money on things like AP than on a new, higher resolution screen, as well as a more powerful computer that'd satisfactorily power the high-res screen.

Enough of the computer religious wars -- they're of zero help to helping someone with the software.

Stick to the facts of the issue, and leave the computer politics out of it.

-Kevin

Carvac,

is this build tagged correctly?? (R1088?). I've been working on a fix to the flight characteristics of a few odd rocs, and can't seem to get a merge to work properly. I really don't want to fork the code just for my fixes.

Carvac,

is this build tagged correctly?? (R1088?). I've been working on a fix to the flight characteristics of a few odd rocs, and can't seem to get a merge to work properly. I really don't want to fork the code just for my fixes.

When did you start making changes? Recently the code has been restructured to separate core functionality and user interface code and that would definitely break any automatic merge.

I don't know the details of 'tagging' the build; I just pull the branch from github when I want the latest.

Back