Space Rocket History Podcast

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
subscribed - episode lengths look to just about match my commute. Thanks for the link!

Up to episode 18. The content is good, a lot of it repeats knowledge a space buff already knows, but still enjoyable. The only real complaint is pronunciation - while Mike (the author) apologizes each & every episode for this, this is an *audio* podcast, for which pronunciation is a really important aspect, especially for names the listener isn't familiar with. Even well-known names get butchered, like "Korolev"; Fortunately he corrects that one in later podcasts. I was a bit surprised he had 2 *whole* episodes on the Mercury 7 selection, given that it's a "rocket" history. The original audio clips are a great touch, making good use of the audio podcast format.

Only up to episode 5 so far, but I restarted because my boys (5 and 9) caught the tail end of #3 on the drive home and wanted to listen to all of them.

I listen to 1-2 of these a day.

I have been through the whole list atleast 3 times and learn something new everyday.

I also discovered this a week or so ago. It is excellent. I'm up to episode 25. And the 21-27 minute length is perfect for my commute. I listen to two a day. Mike has a knack for making the history interesting and not dry at all. As Paul mentioned, the mispronunciation thing is a little on the odd side, but does improve. Some of the earlier episodes had low audio issues, but Mike gets that sorted out fairly quickly.

It's fun to visit the web site to see the photos and videos he has posted for each episode after listening to it. Also, the weaving of news reports and audio clips is done quite well. I really enjoyed how he produced the Freedom 7 episode in that regard. Mike also has a short epilogue to each episode and he is careful to try to keep any commentary or personal interpretation to that segment rather than during the podcast proper.

Back