Battle park 2013 World Series Red Sox celebration

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yohimbe2

Reaction score
Ok, the Red Sox are the world champions (my friend---- and we"ll keep on rockin till the end)

I am wondering if we can use this weekend to celebrate the win and to pay respect to those killed and injured at the Boston Marathon. I have many Red Sox rockets to fly and a secret " Fenway" rocket in the works.

I'm sure our leader will have no problem. Although on opposite sides, both Red Sox fans and Yankees fans are family in a way. My rocket is fixed and I am owed a drag race. (this may predict next years season)

Any way, there will be many Red Sox rockets flying this weekend if the weather is good. I may bring Clam chowdahh as well....See you this weekend.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great plan. What days are you coming?

Sounds like a great plan. What days are you coming?

Well, Saturday looks promising. Sunday, we'll have to see. I'm planning to stay Saturday night.

I just got back from Legal Seafoods with 5 gallons of Clam Chowdah for a huge celebration party at work tomorrow. If my co workers dont finish it off I'll bring a gallon to Battlepark. Good stuff.

See you Saturday

Well, Saturday looks promising. Sunday, we'll have to see. I'm planning to stay Saturday night.

I just got back from Legal Seafoods with 5 gallons of Clam Chowdah for a huge celebration party at work tomorrow. If my co workers dont finish it off I'll bring a gallon to Battlepark. Good stuff.

See you Saturday

Bring along a crockpot or something to heat it in. We have the generator running all day!

BTW, it looks like the warmest weather will be on Sunday, but the winds might be getting very strong by mid day.

Last edited:
Darn, and I can only make it on Sunday.
Where did that wind come from all of a sudden......

Guess I won't be doing anything but DD on a fast burn.....

Not a drop of chowda left, apparently many folks here in Va have never had the real thing. It was a huge hit. I'll bring a few gallons to battle park when the pats win

Wind looks a bit iffy for Saturday? I'm preparing my rockets but will be playing this by ear.

I was hoping to make it this weekend... got my GPS transmitter working better this time around and wanted to give it a test flight. But my car is down for some maintenance and it looks like its going to be a bit chilly for a long ride on one of the bikes... so I'm probably going to have to stay home and finish the car. Bummer!

Next month!

Not a drop of chowda left, apparently many folks here in Va have never had the real thing. It was a huge hit. I'll bring a few gallons to battle park when the pats win

Wind looks a bit iffy for Saturday? I'm preparing my rockets but will be playing this by ear.

Wind is slightly up from earlier predictions (9mph) Saturday (today) - but even higher on Sunday (14mph) ...according to the website:
https://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?Submit=Go&sta=KCJR&state=VA

Last launch I went Saturday thinking the winds were up on Sunday and it was the opposite...I missed a good one Sunday-very good conditions.

Wind is slightly up from earlier predictions (9mph) Saturday (today) - but even higher on Sunday (14mph) ...according to the website:
https://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?Submit=Go&sta=KCJR&state=VA

Last launch I went Saturday thinking the winds were up on Sunday and it was the opposite...I missed a good one Sunday-very good conditions.

Not a lot of attendance on Saturday. Had a few good flights. My 1/4 scale Patriot hit 2012 ft and drifted to the row of farm equipment along the road on the farm. Guess I should have used a smaller chute. It must have hit something because it broke a piece off the tip of one fin. I had a transmitter from the Walston in it and that made finding it very quick and easy. The land owner would have found it and given it to Mike if we hadn't found it, but I'm really beginning to like that tracker.

The aviation forecast for Culpeper is looking worse and worse. The Sunday winds are now up to 16 mph with 11 mph by the 10 AM start time and still at 13 mph by dark. The aviation forecast always seems low because it is the average winds. Gust will be higher.

The 24 hr winds aloft from Richmond call for 28 mph @ 3,000, 55 mph @ 6,000 and 61 mph @ 9,000.

I've already decided I wasn't going to be there on Sunday. Freeze my behind in cold winds on the field, or sit in a warm chair with a cold beer watching the Packer try to beat the Eagles, not too difficult of choice.

Not a lot of attendance on Saturday. Had a few good flights. My 1/4 scale Patriot hit 2012 ft and drifted to the row of farm equipment along the road on the farm. Guess I should have used a smaller chute. It must have hit something because it broke a piece off the tip of one fin. I had a transmitter from the Walston in it and that made finding it very quick and easy. The land owner would have found it and given it to Mike if we hadn't found it, but I'm really beginning to like that tracker.

The aviation forecast for Culpeper is looking worse and worse. The Sunday winds are now up to 16 mph with 11 mph by the 10 AM start time and still at 13 mph by dark. The aviation forecast always seems low because it is the average winds. Gust will be higher.

The 24 hr winds aloft from Richmond call for 28 mph @ 3,000, 55 mph @ 6,000 and 61 mph @ 9,000.

I've already decided I wasn't going to be there on Sunday. Freeze my behind in cold winds on the field, or sit in a warm chair with a cold beer watching the Packer try to beat the Eagles, not too difficult of choice.

Jeff:
What motor did you shoot the Patriot with....?

Regardless of the weather report - it always seems windier when you are out there.
So who is going to be there Sunday? Ken or Kevin vending Sunday? If I can't launch much and can stock up on parts/motors for the next builds.

I know Bruce was a no go for this one. Not sure if Gene was going either...Paul was a maybe.

I'd make the drive - but with high winds I have a feeling only dual deployment projects will work...and my plans to launch two stage/mid power rockets (Cosmodrome Aerobee Hi , H/G Nike Terrier and 1/4 scale Wac Corporal) will be a no go - even if they have dual deployment in the sustainers.

I'd probably spend more time walking recovery than launching.
The big Astrobee 1500 needs a maiden flight but not sure I want to do a first flight in a high wind.

Unmasked Paint1.jpg

Last edited:
Ken was there today and I am pretty sure he will be there tomorrow. Kevin was not there. I will be there and we will just have to see what the weather allows me to fly. Hope you can make it!

I'll be there today, can't miss a sunday scheduled comm. launch.

Kevin was only scheduled to be there today.

Jeff:
What motor did you shoot the Patriot with....?

I used an I161W. The chute was an umbrella that I had made up, so it was about 32". I should have had a 28" on it. Although if I had, it might have landed in the barnyard runoff holding pond. Which is a nice way of calling it the S%!* pond. It would have been a total loss in there so I guess overall, it wasn't too bad.

My 1/4 scale Patriot hit 2012 ft and drifted to the row of farm equipment along the road on the farm. Guess I should have used a smaller chute - I used an I161W. The chute was an umbrella that I had made up, so it was about 32". I should have had a 28" on it. Although if I had, it might have landed in the barnyard runoff holding pond. Which is a nice way of calling it the S%!* pond. It would have been a total loss in there so I guess overall, it wasn't too bad.

You landed way out there...???
Was that DD?

That was quite a walk.

Given today's wind prediction - I opted to work on stuff today rather than make the trip.
Should be in a better position for the next one, given a lot of my stuff has been in storage for awhile.

When I went through all my stuff I found a number of kits I haven't touched in years.

Found an old PML Quantum Leap that was one of the first things I bought from Ken years ago.
I put it aside back then when I saw it had QT airframe which had limitations on power...and the quick switch motor mounts limited motor selection.
I looked it over - decided to build it box stock...a maximum 13" motor length isn't a problem for most of the hardware I'd use anyway, and I'm doing what I can to ensure the airframe is built well.
After my experience with this, I won't be using quantum tube again....just don't like it.
It built quick though....

Last edited:
...I won't be using quantum tube again....just don't like it.
It built quick though....

Amen to that! I do like my QT Callisto, but I was really disappointed with the motor limitations on my (still MIA) 4" QT Endeavour - it topped out at a J460T IIRC. Ah, well. No more QT for me either.

Cheers!

Amen to that! I do like my QT Callisto, but I was really disappointed with the motor limitations on my (still MIA) 4" QT Endeavour - it topped out at a J460T IIRC. Ah, well. No more QT for me either.

Cheers!

The only QT I have is the Callisto. Built that in 2003 and still flying strong. Can't say I have any complaints. The Callisto was my only water landing, in the creek at VAST at the Kraft farm. Glad to have QT that day!

You landed way out there...???
Was that DD?

That was quite a walk.

No it wasn't DD. Just a motor ejection. It turned out to be pretty good delay.

Turned out I didn't have to walk, Mike took me in his van. We went out to Cedar Mountain Dr. and got the Walston out. A couple of stops along the road and we had pretty well zeroed in on it. Drove right up on it and only walked about 30 ft. Talk about great service! I might have to fly some more like that on windy days like that.

The only QT I have is the Callisto. Built that in 2003 and still flying strong. Can't say I have any complaints. The Callisto was my only water landing, in the creek at VAST at the Kraft farm. Glad to have QT that day!

My Callisto actually sat on the pad during a downpour at NARAM-50 (Big Meadows). Since it was QT, I left it on the pad. As soon as the rain lifted and the range reopened, it launched without a problem!

I wasn't too thrilled about the affect of temperature variations on the QT especially the way it affected the piston ejection devices that came with the Quantum Leap....just the cold temp in the room over the last week or two had things shrinking up and getting tight.

I ditched the pistons anyway...I turned those two parts into the Altimeter bay and had to cut up the Quantum tube in several places to convert this old kit to dual deployment and make an interstage. I don't like having staging electronics in the booster fin can....a premature drag separation ruins your whole day when the staging electronics are in the first half.
QT cuts ok, little harder to do than FG'd/phenolic. Nice finish though, no FG weave to fill primer and sand, I'll give it that.

BTW: I see they finally announced Red Glare XV in MD.
Same weekend as our December Culpeper launch.

Last edited:
No it wasn't DD. Just a motor ejection. It turned out to be pretty good delay.

Turned out I didn't have to walk, Mike took me in his van. We went out to Cedar Mountain Dr. and got the Walston out. A couple of stops along the road and we had pretty well zeroed in on it. Drove right up on it and only walked about 30 ft. Talk about great service! I might have to fly some more like that on windy days like that.

I'm glad we have that tracking gear....and you know how to use it.

I've had ambitions to do a "personal best" for many years now....fly a mile high, and do Mach 1.
And prove it. Maybe even with the same rocket.

Ok, I admit, this is small potatoes as far as modern HPR goes.
But back in the day when the size of the projects was limited, and before there were commercially available electronics and but kicking motors, it was quite a challenge...its fun to read all those old technical manuals to see how they tried to go about it over 20 years ago.

I have several relatively small 38mm projects, some 90 % complete that I'd like to do this with.

Last edited:
I'm glad we have that tracking gear....and you know how to use it.

I've had ambitions to do a "personal best" for many years now....fly a mile high, and do Mach 1.
And prove it. Maybe even with the same rocket.

Ok, I admit, this is small potatoes as far as modern HPR goes.
But back in the day when the size of the projects was limited, and before there were commercially available electronics and but kicking motors, it was quite a challenge...its fun to read all those old technical manuals to see how they tried to go about it over 20 years ago.

I have several relatively small 38mm projects, some 90 % complete that I'd like to do this with.

I hear what you're saying. My first mile high flight was my L2 cert attempt. I got 6,824 on a K695R in Grapeshot. I think the second was with El Juan at LDRS 28 on a J350W to 6,810 ft. If you don't have one, I would recommend a Stratologger altimeter. It beeps out the altitude and speed after the flight. That's how I know Grapeshot got Mach 1.2 on the L935 flight. The speed was reported as 847 mph.

If you have a 38mm MMT in something with about a 2.6" BT, you should easily break the mile high on an Aerotech 38/600 or 38/720 motor. Might even be able to do it on a 38/480 case. I got 4,200 with El Juan on the 38/480 and that was really a heavy rocket for it's size.

Good luck and let me know if you want to use the Walston.

I hear what you're saying. My first mile high flight was my L2 cert attempt. I got 6,824 on a K695R in Grapeshot. I think the second was with El Juan at LDRS 28 on a J350W to 6,810 ft. If you don't have one, I would recommend a Stratologger altimeter. It beeps out the altitude and speed after the flight. That's how I know Grapeshot got Mach 1.2 on the L935 flight. The speed was reported as 847 mph.

If you have a 38mm MMT in something with about a 2.6" BT, you should easily break the mile high on an Aerotech 38/600 or 38/720 motor. Might even be able to do it on a 38/480 case. I got 4,200 with El Juan on the 38/480 and that was really a heavy rocket for it's size.

Good luck and let me know if you want to use the Walston.

Thanks for the comparative info - I'll definitely keep that all in mind.

I have a 90% built candidate in 38mm dia. from many years ago - a Vaughn Brothers Extreme 38 that I was going to outfit with a Black Sky Altaac which was the recording altimeter of choice at the time (this Altaac has never flown - not sure if I even know how to upload the data, though I still have an instruction manual - also not sure if the program is one of those old small floppy discs - !!!).

I bought an unbuilt Mongoose 38 second hand from a guy that unloaded it....being CF this will need work to figure out a low drag motor retention that doesn't stick out beyond the airframe and an altimeter bay.

Both would need a low drag launch lug/rail button system...maybe a fly off version.

That said, the one thing that kept me from finishing this project and launching this thing locally is worrying about loosing it and not getting the altimeter back....or putting it in a tree. But I guess that can even happen at Higgs Farm.....or even Black Rock.

I don't think the speed aspect worries me as much as the altitude thing....one of my first launches at Higgs was the old Mach Buster by Rocket Vision with an F-72.....we lost sight of that even with tracking powder - and when I finally found it the decals had stripped off in the air stream and the streamer was ripped off : ) .

https://www.rocketreviews.com/rocket-vision-mach-buster-terry-moore-read.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the comparative info - I'll definitely keep that all in mind.

I have a 90% built candidate in 38mm dia. from many years ago - a Vaughn Brothers Extreme 38 that I was going to outfit with a Black Sky Altaac which was the recording altimeter of choice at the time (this Altaac has never flown - not sure if I even know how to upload the data, though I still have an instruction manual - also not sure if the program is one of those old small floppy discs - !!!).

I bought an unbuilt Mongoose 38 second hand from a guy that unloaded it....being CF this will need work to figure out a low drag motor retention that doesn't stick out beyond the airframe and an altimeter bay.

Both would need a low drag launch lug/rail button system...maybe a fly off version.

That said, the one thing that kept me from finishing this project and launching this thing locally is worrying about loosing it and not getting the altimeter back....or putting it in a tree. But I guess that can even happen at Higgs Farm.....or even Black Rock.

I don't think the speed aspect worries me as much as the altitude thing....one of my first launches at Higgs was the old Mach Buster by Rocket Vision with an F-72.....we lost sight of that even with tracking powder - and when I finally found it the decals had stripped off in the air stream and the streamer was ripped off : ) .

https://www.rocketreviews.com/rocket-vision-mach-buster-terry-moore-read.html

Yes, I wouldn't worry as much about the speed as the altitude. The altitude determines how far away it lands. At BattlePark, if you are going 5K - 7K on a day where the winds are less than 10 mph you should't have much problem unless the upper level winds are really strong. Using the tracker probably will reduce the time it takes to find the rocket rather than ensuring that you do find it. Considering the site, there really aren't that many rockets lost that could be found if they had a tracker.

Back