Offering up a Scratch Design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRAGON64

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have had this file on my computer for years. It is a SolidWorks part I found on 3D Content Central. I would like to see if someone could take and build it from scratch based on the pdf. You would need to scale it to your own needs, as the origin file is only 1.112" in dia.

The rocket is a nice design, and I would like to see if one of you fine modelers would take on the project (?)

The rocket has eight fins (4-canards), and is a short boattail design much like the V2. The cone is made to look ducted... anyone?

missile_1.jpg missile_2.jpg

Attachments

• Missile.PDF
    224.9 KB · Views: 122
Geeze ,if my plate was not so full, I`d love to make that !

......who knows ?

Paul T

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this.

I've been diligently reworking the rocket for 3d printing.

Right now it's currently configured for a 75mm motor, and will be about 8" in diameter and about 12 feet high. Hopefully the thanksgiving "downtime" will let me finish the cad, and I can start printing it next week.

Alex

rocket.png

rkt2.jpg

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I've been diligently reworking the rocket for 3d printing. Right now it's currently configured for a 75mm motor, and will be about 8" in diameter and about 12 feet high. Hopefully the thanksgiving "downtime" will let me finish the cad, and I can start printing it next week. Alex

How are you printing this?

Getting closer...

I've attached few more photo's.

front3.jpgfront (1).jpg

For those inquiring, this will be printed using a custom engineered delta printer (Rostock was the original design before modified) with an all metal hotend to use advanced filaments. In general, you don't want to print any structural parts in ABS or PLA as they delaminate very, very easily - even after an acetone vapor bath. I'll be printing this either in carbon fiber infused PET, or nylon. I can print three feet high by a 12 inch diameter

20130917_171247 (1).jpg20130917_171240 (1).jpg20130917_171213 (1).jpg

That sounds like one cool toy! I'm just a little jealous. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Here is a few things I came up with done from estes parts. One Bt-60 parabolic nose cone. This is in the first picture. The second picture is with a BT-55 conical nose also. The nose cone for the spike I used a 18mm cone. I think on the boat tail I could use the nose cone from the vagabond kit. With a 24mm mount it would be 4.5" long.

With some body putty you would never know it was two nose cones.

Finished the cad drawings. I made two different boosters, one for 38mm and one for 54mm. I'll also make a few different sustainers to hold gopro cameras. I'll scale it down and print a 18mm version overnight in ABS to see how it comes out.

booster11.jpg

booster21.jpg

Here is a few things I came up with done from estes parts. One Bt-60 parabolic nose cone. This is in the first picture. The second picture is with a BT-55 conical nose also. The nose cone for the spike I used a 18mm cone. I think on the boat tail I could use the nose cone from the vagabond kit. With a 24mm mount it would be 4.5" long.

With some body putty you would never know it was two nose cones.

Finished the cad drawings. I made two different boosters, one for 38mm and one for 54mm. I'll also make a few different sustainers to hold gopro cameras. I'll scale it down and print a 18mm version overnight in ABS to see how it comes out.

View attachment 156087

View attachment 156088

Nice work guys, the parts and models are looking sweet! Esest parts thru 54mm... Loving it! Thanks for bringing this little design to life.

carbon fiber infused PET

wait WHAT

How does that work? Does the filament stay fluid long enough after being laid down to let the CF reorient itself and become closer to isotropic? Does it remelt the place where it landed?

Makes me wonder if you could use a smallish (1-5 watt?) CO2 laser to heat the substrate immediately before laying down new material on top...

Well,

Here is a photo of the first version rolling off the small printer

image-1173372949.jpg

I need to do a little more work before I print it full scale.

Here is a link to some specifications of carbon-fiber / PLA filament: https://www.proto-pasta.com/datasheets/Carbon-Fiber-PLA.pdf

I don't use PLA, but PET as the base instead because PLA is WAY too brittle for rocketry... At least my landings ;)

I first shred the PET, then grind it down before adding the CF. I can only make it in 3mm filament, and have to use a .5mm nozzle or the CF gets stuck in my extruder's hot end. I'd love to try Kevlar pulp, but can't find a good source for it in volume.

I don't have the equipment to test the properties, but I can stand on a 54mm tube.

Alex that is so (KOOL) I've been watching how you've been using that printer. Looks like you've been having a fun time with it. Now I hope this is not too personal, but how much does something like that cost? I can't believe the things you can do with it. I bet your imagination is going nuts right about now.

Back