Large Redstone Missile, 2 versions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I finally got some of the parts in and started on my Redstone. After I finish the normal highpower version, I'm going to convert my foam structure Jupiter C to the same configuration.

I wanted something that would be able to re-use my chutes and av bay, and similar reloads for my 7.5" Pershing 1A and be a sport scale, easy to build rocket. I also have lots of OD paint left over. I decided to do simple 3/32" fiberglass fins with some styrene pivot plates to set them off, and I'll do marker lines where the large bevels would be on the leading edges. 54mm central mount and aero-pac motor retainer. Dual Chutes, splits into two halves which I've found works best when you have more than about a 8 pound upper section.

Attached is the open rocket file I have so far and some construction shots. I did ttw tabs but also slotted the rear centering ring to help with alignment and take any landing stress. I did not want to make a long transition section for the upper because this was supposed to be simple and sport scale. Sandman is killing a basswood tree for my nose cone, and it will be heavy, but the weight is needed. I'll do a 3/8" rod down the center of the cone and which will attach to the bulkhead to take all of the recovery stresses for the upper section, similar to what I did for my Pershing. I think it will be a nice companion to the Pershing.

Things are just tack glued in place and aligned waiting for some fillets.

Frank

View attachment RedstoneNose.pdf

rocketober-8673.jpg

WP_20131102_006.jpg

WP_20131102_005.jpg

WP_20131102_003.jpg

WP_20131102_002.jpg

WP_20131102_001.jpg

View attachment redstone.ork

Last edited:
I have a certain philosophy with wood working. Other than the lathe I like to use strictly hand tools, spoke shave draw knife, hand planes, hand saws, etc.

Unfortunately for this "monster" I have stooped to using a freaking chain saw.

Yes! a CHAIN SAW!!!

This is an unbelievable chunk of wood!

It's taken me 3 days so far using just hand tools to get this thing ready for the lathe.

This started out as 2 20" lengths of 16/4 (4") x 9.5" slabs of wood glued together to make an 8" x 9.5" 20" long block.

I think i'm about another day away from turning on the lathe.

You can see I still have to knock some corners off.

BTW...that is roughly $100.00 worth of kiln dried basswood.

You'd think wood would be cheaper...heck, it grow on trees!

block of wood.JPG

Last edited:
I have a certain philosophy with wood working. Other than the lathe I like to use strictly hand tools, spoke shave draw knife, hand planes, hand saws, etc.

Unfortunately for this "monster" I have stooped to using a freaking chain saw.

Yes! a CHAIN SAW!!!

This is an unbelievable chunk of wood!

It's taken me 3 days so far using just hand tools to get this thing ready for the lathe.

This started out as 2 20" lengths of 16/4 (4") x 9.5" slabs of wood glued together to make an 8" x 9.5" 20" long block.

I think i'm about another day away from turning on the lathe.

You can see I still have to knock some corners off.

BTW...that is roughly $100.00 worth of kiln dried basswood.

You'd think wood would be cheaper...heck, it grow on trees!

Gordon: Is this your way of preparing him emotionally for the bill?

Frank: Very impressive undertaking, given how nice the Pershing was I look forward to seeing this one come along. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
I always liked the looks of the Redstone. It really was a huge missile for its day and still looks impressive in person. Are the Redstone and Pershing to the same scale?

Thanks all, as for scale, the redstone is just slightly less than half the scale of the pershing, the pershing is about 3' in diameter and the redstone was about 5.8' they both use the same 7.5 loc tubing.

Made the little forward steering fin covers and the lower rear covers out of depron since it is really easy to work with some styrene sheet over the top so I don't have to fill anything. Also made the forward steering fins out of 3/32" fiberglass sheet. Light and quick to make. I finished all of the lower fillets, waiting for the body tubes to arrive to do more.

Frank

WP_20131103_002.jpg

Ahhhh ,another fine build comming our way !

I look forward to this.

May I ask you what depron is ?

Paul T

Depron is closed cell polystyrene, I use it for my scratch built RC planes and rocket gliders....comes in sheets in different thicknesses....I just have lots of it laying around from my latest B-58 I just finished.....

Frank

Ahhhh ,another fine build comming our way !

I look forward to this.

May I ask you what depron is ?

Paul T

hustler_new.jpg

Depron is closed cell polystyrene, I use it for my scratch built RC planes and rocket gliders....comes in sheets in different thicknesses....I just have lots of it laying around from my latest B-58 I just finished.....

Frank

Oh,a "Hustler"...what an exellent looking jet, one of my first in 1/48 scale ,done in silver.

Yes ,now i know what that material is, thank`s for that.

Cheers

Paul T

Just a gentle ribbing, nothing more. Inspired by your referenced description of the work involved in this nosecone.

You do impressive work, and the price you quoted me for a Torellian Invader nosecone was perfectly reasonable for the work involved. I am not one to complain when paying for quality.

Last edited:
Just a gentle ribbing, nothing more. Inspired by your referenced description of the work involved in this nosecone.

You do impressive work, and the price you quoted me for a Torellian Invader nosecone was perfectly reasonable for the work involved. I am not one to complain when paying for quality.

That's OK, lots of "personal" issues this week.

This cone has literally been a thorn in my side. Or should I say "sliver".

Almost too big for my lathe!

I have over 10 hours on this thing.

The good news!

IT'S FINISHED!

Bad news...I have to find a box to ship this thing.

In the future, anything this big just has to be glass/epoxy. Just too big for wood.

Last edited:
Now I feel really bad.....I was happy you were willing to try it. Do you want to post a picture so everyone can admire it?

Frank

Now I feel really bad.....I was happy you were willing to try it. Do you want to post a picture so everyone can admire it?

Frank

Frank, don't worry about it.

It's a lesson learned.

As for a picture it's too late. It's already in a box ready to ship.

I'll be gone all day tomorrow so I got it ready for my wife to take it to the post office.

But, you can take a picture when you get it.

The wood is so pretty it's just a shame you're gonna paint it.

I think it will be here tomorrow....Me four........

The tracking number currently has it somewhere in Washington state.

Maybe tomorrow.

So far six days shipping seems like a lot to me.:mad:

If...according to the USPS tracking, it hadn't gone from Michigan to Pennsylvania then to Washington maybe you would have it by now.

I live in a small town and there is no Fed Ex or UPS. My only choice is the U.S. Mail.

Last edited:
Got the nose cone yesterday in great shape looks really nice and I really appreciate Gordo attempting this. Of course the first thing I did was cut the nose off, drill it out, put a couple of nuts and a washer on my allthread and glue the tip back onto the allthread/nuts/washer. I then took it to my belt sander, contoured the allthread to be the new "tip" of the cone and sanding it all down. I then had to go to harbor freight to get a 24" 1/2" auger and drill out the center of the rest of the cone for the allthread. I then glued in the allthread/nose with a plywood cap, nut and washer and then fill/sand the joint down, worked like a charm. Now just waiting for body tubes, I show it all layed out in the approx length. All of the ejection/recovery load will be on the allthread up through the nose/washer and the tip will hit the ground first and protect the wood. I need to epoxy coat it now to prevent drying/cracking/shrinkage as per gordo's suggestion.

Frank

WP_20131112_001.jpg

WP_20131112_004.jpg

WP_20131113_005.jpg

WP_20131113_006.jpg

WP_20131113_007.jpg

WP_20131113_008.jpg

WP_20131113_009.jpg

WP_20131113_010.jpg

WP_20131113_011.jpg

Last edited:
Decals are on the from stickershock23! White US ARMY, some bands and some details for launch plug in areas.....

I also slotted the upper bulk plate for the forward fins...about a third of the way through, just grooves to locate them and give them something to lock into in case they get snagged on a shroud line or something and pulled on....I dind't have a router, so I just scribed lines with my exacto, and used a 1" chisel to make the grooves, worked like a charm.....

Last edited:
this is turning out great so far!!!! and that nose cone is perfect!!

Got the nose cone yesterday in great shape looks really nice and I really appreciate Gordo attempting this. Of course the first thing I did was cut the nose off, drill it out, put a couple of nuts and a washer on my allthread and glue the tip back onto the allthread/nuts/washer. I then took it to my belt sander, contoured the allthread to be the new "tip" of the cone and sanding it all down. I then had to go to harbor freight to get a 24" 1/2" auger and drill out the center of the rest of the cone for the allthread. I then glued in the allthread/nose with a plywood cap, nut and washer and then fill/sand the joint down, worked like a charm. Now just waiting for body tubes, I show it all layed out in the approx length. All of the ejection/recovery load will be on the allthread up through the nose/washer and the tip will hit the ground first and protect the wood. I need to epoxy coat it now to prevent drying/cracking/shrinkage as per gordo's suggestion.

Frank

Got my tubes today, constructed the top half, slotted and glued in the forward grooved bulkhead, installed the fins and angled pieces. I glued in a coupler for the rear bulkhead to butt against, then I then screwed cone and rear bulkhead to the body tube with stainless screws, and bolted the rear bulkhead to the allthread going through the nose cone. I then slotted the rear tube and slipped it onto the fin unit and screwed it in place temporarily for fit. Photos show the assembly. So far 18.8 pounds.

Need to cut the motor tube to length, install the rear section forward centering ring, glue on the tube and secure and do fillets. I then need to drill and cut the rear portion for the altimeter bay I used in my pershing.

Frank

evergreen (2).jpg

WP_20131120_004.jpg

Quite a bit more progress, cut the tube for the altimiter port/attachment screws/switch slot, installed forward centering ring on lower half, installed the lower body tube and screws, installed the rail lugs, made the doubled removable coupler and screwed it in place(removable in case it gets damaged and needs replacing), installed the lower fairing pieces. AUW right now is 19.8 pounds. Need to do the fin fillets and prime/paint.

Frank

WP_20131121_001.jpg

WP_20131121_002.jpg

WP_20131121_003.jpg

WP_20131121_004.jpg

WP_20131121_005.jpg

WP_20131121_006.jpg

WP_20131121_007.jpg

WP_20131121_008.jpg

Wow!! she is turning out fantastic!

Quite a bit more progress, cut the tube for the altimiter port/attachment screws/switch slot, installed forward centering ring on lower half, installed the lower body tube and screws, installed the rail lugs, made the doubled removable coupler and screwed it in place(removable in case it gets damaged and needs replacing), installed the lower fairing pieces. AUW right now is 19.8 pounds. Need to do the fin fillets and prime/paint.

Frank

The weather has been so good here in portland, 50 degrees, no wind, sunny, I've been spending my afternoons flying RC planes and my X-15 and ALCM RC rocket gliders. Got a bit of time today to seal the cone, apply the primer, sand and put the final green coat on. Looks pretty good, might be able to put the markings on tomorrow. Pics aren't great, due to the low light.

Frank

WP_20131127_006 (2).jpg

WP_20131127_007 (2).jpg

And here she is with the great stickershock decals, along with a closeup of the real missile launch details that stickershock modeled the details after. I think it came out pretty well.

Frank

WP_20131027_009.jpg

WP_20131127_008.jpg

WP_20131127_009.jpg

WP_20131127_010.jpg

redstone.jpg

Frank

Love the Hustler. That was my Dad's plane (Nav bombardier). your Redstone is a beaut!

I added a few lines using a silver sharpie to give the impression of where the angles would be on the fins if they were scale thickness and had the leading edge bevels, etc...

Frank

WP_20131128_002 (2).jpg

WP_20131128_005 (2).jpg

Back