MIG 3 HIGH POWER Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddyisabar

Oddroc scum. Mindsimmer.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yikes! Me first thread in the Hi Po Category. My first scratch HPR rocket. This one started when my old rocket buddy decided to move off shore and left behind one of his "test" carbon fiber tail cones for a V2. It was all glued up to the 4 inch body tube with a mighty 29mm motor tube held in by a fancy carbon fiber centering ring. The carbon fiber had some bubbles causing surface pits, so it did not meet his quality standards. One man's trash is another man's treasure, and after years of scrounging through HI PO trash for LPR/MPR launch lugs and motor tubes I ain't too picky. So what about a few bubbles, I got bondo. Heavy bondo coat and sand and a few more pits would pop out, did it again and again until most were gone. It sat on the shelf for a few years as I decided what to build it as. A V2 or some silly airplane rocket? Then another bit of good fortune as I came across a nosecone that would fit. There, I have to do something now.

With such a light hind end I could use heavy plywood for the fins and they would fit into the quarter inch slots that had been pre-cut. Sawed out dem fins with the old coping saw, glued em in with sticky 5 min epoxy, and taped up the fillets fer some more of that wonderful quick curing epoxy. By Golly you can build rockets fast with that fancy epoxy glue. I decided to build the first operational MIG; the MIG 3 from those nasty winter months of 1941. Had to use the classic Moscow Hawks paint scheme with the big red arrows on the front. Yep, I'm a gonna put a stop to those invading Hitlerite pig dogs, this will be another triumph of the Soviet Peoples. Finished up with some left over decals and hand cut red mono-coat.

Hopefully it won't need a ton of stinkin' performance robbin' nose weight cause it is a bit longer on that there nose cone. Just need to find some rail buttons and a motor and it’s off to the RSO table. Yes sir mister RSO, it’s a gonna fly real good as a high power design. Asymmetrical fins are no problem, if they work in LPR and MPR, why not HPR?

Took these pictures with the camera phone so they are not very good but they are better than a grainy Soviet black and white photo. Picture #4 is a teeny little LPR P 40E 18mm, bigger MPR TA 152 24mm and finally a man sized HPR 29mm MIG 3.

Mig #4.jpgMig #5.jpgMig 3 #2.jpgMig 3.jpgMig#3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work, reminds me of the GeeBee racer... probably cause the color scheme!
TimE

Another fine creation ,I absolutely love that plane and your build.

The Trumpeter 1/48 scale Mig 3 was one of my first models I built ,done in those winter colors and sits proudly in my display case.

Very nice Big Daddy !!

Paul T

Another fine creation ,I absolutely love that plane and your build.

The Trumpeter 1/48 scale Mig 3 was one of my first models I built ,done in those winter colors and sits proudly in my display case.

Very nice Big Daddy !!

Paul T

Placeba comrade commissar. On high altitude "I" motor we will rid skies of ME 109.

Placeba comrade commissar. On high altitude "I" motor we will rid skies of ME 109.

Perhaps you should also craft and build an Me109 in high power (another great airplane)......

...or have you yet ??

Pavel T

OMG!!! It's fantastic! :w: Aren't you afraid of what the guys at the club will say? After all it's not lightweight wimpy paper. :wink: :madnote:

Perhaps you should also craft and build an Me109 in high power (another great airplane)......

...or have you yet ??

Pavel T

I have not built an ME 109. But I hear the is this guy way up North who had a big round nose cone he used to build a Hellfire. Those big and high end parts could also be used to make a nice big spinner on an ME 109 F, G or K! Might need a Level 3 motor to fly it.

OMG!!! It's fantastic! :w: Aren't you afraid of what the guys at the club will say? After all it's not lightweight wimpy paper. :wink: :madnote:

They will be glad to see the carbon fiber, heavy walled tube and 1/4 inch ply fins. Although they might want to reinforce the protective screening used when ever I show up with something new.:wink:

Great pics. Nice flight. Congrats Comrade. Are you sure the helmet is the Commissar's opinion of your rockets flying??? :y:

Great pics. Nice flight. Congrats Comrade. Are you sure the helmet is the Commissar's opinion of your rockets flying??? :y:

He wore the helmet for every rocket launched and needed it for some, there were a lot of "not so straight flights" on Sunday. Between the Pad Fuhrer and the Commissar alone there are about six levels of Model Rocket Science to keep an eye on the craziness.

Congrats on a successful flight ,she looks beautiful going up !!

Sincerely

Pavel T

Awesome design and a great first flight! You know, I was just thinking. I wonder how a free spinning propeller on the tip of a nose cone would affect the stability of a rocket...

FAIW, my Pogo PMC has counter rotating props and I didn't have an answer about stability either. So, I just flew it. It flew straight although slightly wobbly. I didn't yet have a 18mm RMS so I flew it on a C6 and 2 underwing A10s. Might have flown better on a 18mm Dxx. Or not.

FAIW, my Pogo PMC has counter rotating props and I didn't have an answer about stability either. So, I just flew it. It flew straight although slightly wobbly. I didn't yet have a 18mm RMS so I flew it on a C6 and 2 underwing A10s. Might have flown better on a 18mm Dxx. Or not.

When in doubt just add more power and nose weight. When moving up to a D21 you will get to see if the extra power makes the wobble problem much better or much worse. Just watch out for those hot ejection charges on the SU motors. I have toyed around with the idea of pivoted props made of plastic but have been way too scared to carry it out. I think when I show up at the club with yet another silly airplane rocket I am already on double secret probation. One with a big puller prop out front just might get me Triple Secret Probation.

Video of the first launch. Nice safe flight on a G, the real danger comes in from the LPR rocket right at the end, it looks a lot closer than it really was,

[video=youtube_share;7YydQ6eiThk]https://youtu.be/7YydQ6eiThk[/video]

Last edited:
Back