The Pink Panther - 29mm Min. Diameter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I would update this thread with my new and improved Pink Panther :D I think its safe to say it turned out a lot better than its predecessor!

16771390626_6c093cc333_c.jpg

16796154682_9fdc5c8431_c.jpg

16609890250_acf822786b_c.jpg

16796135881_da0028da83_c.jpg

16589962867_dc9b90c1eb_c.jpg

This time aorund, it has:
  • All carbon fiber fincan constructed with Aeropoxy laminating resin and Proline 4500 for the fillets
  • Fiberglass payload bay and fiberglass conical nosecone
  • An Eggfinder for GPS tracking
  • No rail buttons - will be flown with either a tower or fly-away rail guides
  • 34 inches tall, and 10 ounces sans motor - pretty light, despite it being way stronger than it really needs to be
  • Awesome decals from stickershock23 - thanks Mark!
  • Friction fit motor retention for 29mm motors, and for 24mm motors a modified aeropack 24-29mm adapter with screws that hold it in place.
  • Motor deploy with a small parachute or very large streamer

Its maiden flight should be in 2 weeks at my home field, first on a CTI F32 White to about 1800 ft, and then a 24mm CTI G107 dual thrust with an aeropack 29-24mm adapter for around 4,600 ft, 50 G's and ~600 mph :D

VERY nice! still sad you lost the old one but this one is awesome!

Thanks guys! :) Yeah the pink really pops over the black carbon fiber, the contrast made it difficult to photograph and still get the weave of the CF, but in person the effect is really great.

The eggfinder is really perfect for this kind of rocket - small, light, inexpensive and easy to use. Since it's motor deploy and I fly CTI, preparing the rocket should take just a few minutes, if that, and recovery shouldn't take long either since with the GPS I'll simply be walking right to the rocket. I just really like the idea of a simple to prep and fly rocket that I can easily fly multiple times in a single day while utilizing most of our 5,000' waiver on very inexpensive 29mm or 24mm motors.

I've got a spool of pink due to arrive tomorrow and a file queued up to print a set of fly-away guides.

That looks awesome Coleman!! Love the vinyl!

Nate

That looks awesome Coleman!! Love the vinyl!

Nate

Thanks Nate, I have to say I was partly inspired by the awesome vinyl you got for Redshift. I'm really looking forward to that flight - was it a G339 you were planning on flying it with?

I've got a spool of pink due to arrive tomorrow and a file queued up to print a set of fly-away guides.

Can't wait! :w:

Ready to ship, I'll try to get to the post office today. When is the launch?

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1426594762.983630.jpg

The fins are cut out and sanded. They are extremely stiff, yet total all three only weigh 16.4 grams! They are thin, just a hair under 1/16'' thick.
View attachment 151614

The RF transparent payload bay made with 3 layers of 1.5'' fiberglass sleeve. It is rock solid, and around 20 grams.
View attachment 151613

The set up for making the fincan tube - 3 layers of 26'' long carbon/fiberglass pink 1.6'' sleeves, and the treated shrinkwrap. My mandrel is a 3' long polycarbonate tube with OD of 1.125''.
View attachment 151611

The weave of the carbon/fiberglass sleeve.
View attachment 151615

The three sleeves on the mandrel ready to be epoxied.
View attachment 151612

Over 50 grams of epoxy for this!!!!
View attachment 151609

The layup curing with the shrink wrap in place and shrunk down.
View attachment 151610

I cant wait to see how this turns out!!!!
Nice build, where did you get the sleeves from? I've seen them before but forgot on which site, and where did you hit the shrink tubing? Thanks.

I believe that you can get those from Soller Composites

Yup! Great place, I always get really fast shipping and everything comes really nicely packaged. The sleeve/shrink tubing is a great combination that makes making tubes quite easy. I would say the only limitation is that you can only do 3-4 layers at a time, as any more and you won't really be able to wet out the inside layer.

Received my set of flyaway rail guides from wfcook at Mayhem Rocketry today :clap::clap::grin:
Seeing them in person, you can immediately tell how well designed and thought out they are; I'm really excited to try them out! The hinged design is really well engineered - holding them closed in your hand, it takes very little force to hold them shut, so deceivingly so that if your grip lapses for just a second they fly right out of your hand and across the room :lol:

They come with plenty of strong, quality rubber bands. Pictured is the 6'' 29mm version and the ~4.5'' version.

The standard wall size was a perfect fit for my handmade CF tube.

The 6'' version without the rubber bands attached

As long as the current forecast holds, I should be flying this Sunday on an F32 and later a G107 :grin:. Videos, pictures and flight data to follow!

Unfortunately the weather did not work out, so currently I'm planning to fly this at Red Glare on an I243-W and H226-SK.

In the meantime, I decided that I should take advantage of the fact that my eggfinder fits into a 24mm tube. And so, the Pink Panther 24 is born :D It'll be a quick build as I want to have it ready for Red Glare in a week, but since its basically a copy of my previous build, just instead in 24mm, it should go together pretty easily.

PP24.jpg
(Click to expand)

And of course, it will fly on the G145 Pink :smile: M1.25 & 7,500' - not bad for a 75% G motor.

Soler composites Pink CF/FG colored sleeving
& clear shrink tubing.

Photo Apr 03, 3 13 16 PM.jpg

To make a long enough mandrel, I took my two P24 6G cases
and used a spent reload as a coupler to join them. Worked great to
get me a nice ~18'' mandrel!

Photo Apr 03, 3 13 26 PM.jpg Photo Apr 03, 3 13 36 PM.jpg

I used three layers of the sleeving which should get me around a
0.04'' wall thickness. After pulling them taught, I used zip ties
to hold them tight and in place.

Photo Apr 03, 3 51 42 PM.jpg

Did the same for the fiberglass payload, 3 layers
of Soller FG sleeve ~6'' long. Again my mandrel was two
P24 3G cases joined with a spent reload.

Photo Apr 03, 7 57 14 PM.jpg

The clear shrink tubing cut to length.

Photo Apr 03, 7 57 21 PM.jpg

For the fins, I went for a 0.05'' thickness. A core layer of 0.009" 3k twill, followed by a layer of 0.009'' 6 oz UNI on either side. For the surface layers, I cut the colored CF/FG tubing and laid it out flat so that the fins will match the BT. At 0.012'' thick that brings the total thickness to 0.051''; with the compression I can get on my press, I'll probably get around 0.055''.

Photo Apr 03, 7 57 26 PM.jpg

Only snapped a picture of the CF tube wetted out and with the shrink tubing applied.

Photo Apr 03, 8 57 38 PM.jpg

Once everything cures, I'll be able to get an accurate measurement of the wall thickness I attained with the FG and CF tubes, and make a coupler accordingly. Then its on to gluing fins, fillets, sanding, and SC mount.

My NC is a 24mm plastic one I had laying around; its got surprisingly thick walls and I think it should be plenty strong enough for M1.25. Shockcord will be some 1/16'' kevlar I had around, and I'll either be using an 8'' thin-mill TF chute or a long streamer.

Back