Problem with OpenRocket and Java 1.7.0_45-b18

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruland

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've seen a lot of bug reports from OpenRocket from users running Java 1.7.0_45-b18 (this is the latest I believe). The error manifests as a bug report containing:

---------- Exception stack trace ----------
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)

I haven't figured out yet what to do about this problem, however if you revert to the older build, OR will work correctly.

Kevin

Hmm, I have build 1.6.0_65-b14-462-11M4609 on my Mac OS 10.8.5, and I get an error if I try to drag a component in the tree. I just reproduced the problem and clicked the button to send a bug report.

Leo, is that new with the Oracle JVM update?

The problem I've highlighted only appears when dragging components in the tree. I haven't worked out what's the right answer yet.

Yes. Seems there are two problems then :(

I reinstalled the latest Java but the problem still remains. Any ideas?

I don't seem to see this error with Linux and the following Java:

$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_25"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.3.10) (7u25-2.3.10-1ubuntu0.13.04.2)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode)

I forgot to add that I'm running Win7 64. I didn't have the problem before the java update.

I think Oracle should de-emphasize yacht racing and instead focus on software. It seems the security fixes for CVS-2013-5849 for Applets and JWS has impacted OpenRocket (even though its not an applet or JWS). Not certain how to work around it though.

I forgot to add that I'm running Win7 64. I didn't have the problem before the java update.

I think Oracle should de-emphasize yacht racing and instead focus on software. It seems the security fixes for CVS-2013-5849 for Applets and JWS has impacted OpenRocket (even though its not an applet or JWS). Not certain how to work around it though.

Any leads on a solution or workaround?

I'd uninstall Java 7u45 and revert to the previous version, 7u40. https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/...ownloads-javase7-521261.html#jre-7u40-oth-JPR until this is resolved.

As Kevin pointed out, the security fixes in 7u45 are not applicable to OR (many other Java programs also broke as a result of this change by Oracle) . Though I would advise that you disable Java in all browsers as a security precaution, if you haven't already.

Doug

I did just that. I even went down to 7u25 but still have the same issue now :(

Leo, is that new with the Oracle JVM update?

The problem I've highlighted only appears when dragging components in the tree. I haven't worked out what's the right answer yet.

An error on my part. I should have answered your question with; No, it's the Java SE 7u45 update.

OR stopped working for me ever since I upgraded to Mavericks (10.9).
From what I've been reading Java "has been sandboxed", whatever the heck that means.
All I know is every time I try to revert, I get error messages on the installer, OR doesn't work, and a lot of my other Java stuff doesn't work.
Believe me if I knew how to revert back to 6 in Mavericks I would have posted it in a heartbeat.

Hmmmmm...... I've been dithering about going to 10.9 (from 10.6!) but you've just convinced me to wait a bit.

Other than the Flash issue and OpenRocket, Mavericks otherwise works extremely well. I'm not totally displeased with it. My early 2008 iMac does seem to work a bit faster so converting won't be a total loss.

Yeah, maybe hold on for a bit.

HOWEVER, OpenRocket worked just fine with Mountain Lion (10.8) and it's still available if you contact Apple, so that's a viable alternative.

OKAY! OpenRocket has life in Mavericks!!!! :)
After I followed these instructions, OR started to work!
Double-check your plugins at: Your HDD/Library/internet Plug-Ins and you still have a disabled plug-in at Your HDD/Library/Internet Plug-ins (Disabled)

To uninstall Java 7, you must have Administrator privileges.
  1. Click on the Finder icon located in your dock
  2. Click on Applications tab on the sidebar
  3. In the Search box enter JavaAppletPlugin.plugin
  4. This will find the JavaAppletPlugin.plugin file
  5. Right click on JavaAppletPlugin.plugin and select Move to Trash

Last edited:
Back