New Scale Model Build-Navaho

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JumpJet

Reaction score
I started the Cad design work on this model about four years ago, then stopped until a month ago. I most likely have fifty plus hours of cad time in it and I've got more to go but at least I'm to a point that I can start cutting wood.

Attached are images of what the underlying structre is gong to look like. It has a built in Jig assembly that will be cut away once the upper surface has been sheeted. I'ts all cut from 3/32" balsa. It will then be sheeted with 1/16" balsa. The hard part is going to be getting it smooth enough so it can been entered ithe completed model in the Giant Sport Scale event at next years NARAM. There are other parts to the model not shown but this is going to be the hard part so I thought i would start with this.

Can anyone guess what the Model is.

If there is interest I can post images of some of the build that I hope to start in just a few days.

John Boren

N1.JPG

N4.JPG

N2.JPG

N3.JPG

Flight Shot.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in, so definetly post pics of the build. That said , you've thrown me for a loop. I know that shape and just can't place it!! The circular cross sections are really throwing me off. I'm guessing it's a fighter---50's / 60's vintage . The shape----pic 2--- makes more sense to me if it is a belly view. MORE HINTS PLEASE!!--H

Got it, already know. Now the shape makes sense. This should be a great build!!!!

So now it begs the question, Is the booster included?? If it's what I think it is --this should be fun--nice challenge to build and fly---H

Yes, it is the Navaho which will of course include the booster and if I can get it under the weight limit a pair of small ducted fans to simulate the Ramjets in flight.

John Boren

I know that was indeed a lot of work to generate those configuration shapes, and arrange the internal model parts.

Please keep us posted, this should be very impressive when finished (whether it flies or not!)

I agree ,this is a most interesting concept.

Knowing what John has accomplished ,this should/will be a delight to watch unfold !

Cheers

Paul T

Nice to see more "builders" kits coming from Estes.... speaking of which, I know it's a little off topic, but what's coming down the pipeline from Estes. This time last year there were several kits they were showcasing as being released, like the Mega Red Max and Nike Smoke and the Black Star Voyager, what do we have to look forward to in the near future, current thread project not with standing?

what do we have to look forward to in the near future, current thread project not with standing?

I believe first quarter next year three new SciFi\Exotic type models will be released, in Skill Levels 3, 4 & 5. The New Pro Series Launch Controller should be here in the next two or three months I believe as well, could be sooner since I'm really not in the know when the arrival date is on most items. We've gotten a good four hundred launches out of a set of batteries and with it's 30 feet of wire you can launch anything Estes sells with it.

Other than this you'll just have to wait and see.

John Boren

I believe first quarter next year three new SciFi\Exotic type models will be released, in Skill Levels 3, 4 & 5. The New Pro Series Launch Controller should be here in the next two or three months I believe as well, could be sooner since I'm really not in the know when the arrival date is on most items. We've gotten a good four hundred launches out of a set of batteries and with it's 30 feet of wire you can launch anything Estes sells with it.

Other than this you'll just have to wait and see.

John Boren

Ooooooh... me likey :) . BTW John, you're such a tease........

Once all the parts were cut it took one and half hours to glue all the parts together that you see here. This was the easy part. I now need to Sheet \ Plank the entire fuselage with 1/16” thick balsa. If I don’t get good results, I’ll switch over to 3/32” planking strips and then sand it down to 1/16” to maintain the correct scale outline. This portion of the fuselage is just short of 29” long.

John Boren

N9.JPG

N5.jpg

N6.JPG

N7.JPG

N8.JPG

Can anyone guess what the Model is ?

If there is interest I can post images of some of the build that I hope to start in just a few days.

John Boren

John,

I had an "unfair advantage". So, I didn't ID it, right off.

That NAVAHO should be an INCREDIBLE model !

Please keep posting lots of PICS & DETAILS !

Dave Fitch

Starting planking the Navaho tonight. This is about three hours of work. I was able to use some sheeting as well.

John Boren

N10.JPG

The winged portion I am currently building is 33.8" long. Add the booster and ready to launch the model will stand 42". I sized the model to use an Estes 3" OD. Dia. body tube. The only part of this model that will be off the shelf will be the motor mount tubes and a 12.56" long piece of 3" tube.

I was thinking about making the front canards controllable by Radio Control just in case I needed them to help control the boost but since it will cause a building nightmare since I will have to install the pivot mechanism and pushrods right now I think I'm just going to make them a plug in stationary parts, and call it a day.

John Boren

I would love to see this model as a kit. I have been thinking of building an upscale from the Navaho that can be found on the internet. Obviously, this model is more accurate.

The winged portion I am currently building is 33.8" long. Add the booster and ready to launch the model will stand 42". I sized the model to use an Estes 3" OD. Dia. body tube. The only part of this model that will be off the shelf will be the motor mount tubes and a 12.56" long piece of 3" tube.

I was thinking about making the front canards controllable by Radio Control just in case I needed them to help control the boost but since it will cause a building nightmare since I will have to install the pivot mechanism and pushrods right now I think I'm just going to make them a plug in stationary parts, and call it a day.

John Boren

John,

On the "RC Aspects", I strongly suggest you contact George Gassaway .

Dave F.

On the "RC Aspects", I strongly suggest you contact George Gassaway .

If this was an X1 taking off under rocket power from a launch pad he would be the first one I would contact. I've been designing, building and flying RC airplanes for over 32 years. I've designed everything from 1/2 ounce indoor stuff, to turbine powered jets and even 200 pound UAV's for a company over 20 years ago. I think I can fly and crash this model without anyone else's help:) Although I do reserve the right to change my mind in the future. Plus isn't he on the team that wins all the time at NARAM?

John Boren

Last edited:
This is a very gutsy build, looking forward to the finished product---a lot of heart in this one!!

I'm pretty sure the elevons will be sufficient for pitch authority, it will just be roll sensitive given the narrow wingspan. I've thought about doing an X-10 many times, just never got motivated enough.

I'm pretty sure the elevons will be sufficient for pitch authority

For the flying of the model I agree completely. I was only thinking about adding the canards for when the whole thing was under rocket engine power, just in case it started to pitch up or down during boost the canards way up front might give me added control authority to get the whole thing back to flying a straight boost. Since I would have needed to hook up pushrods and stuff during this part of the build I've decided to just make them stationary plug in surfaces.

John Boren

Back