New Tripoli G motor altitude record (unoffical as of now)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxvelocity

Reaction score
Today at Tripoli Central California's October Skies launch in Helm, CA I flew my rocket The Crow 24 on a Cesaroni G150 Blue Streak to 8796 ft AGL. This is by far the highest I have flown this rocket. This is the eighth revision of this rocket all built and flown over the past three years or so. The record is unofficial because I have not submitted my paperwork or sent back the Tripoli altimeter yet but I did everything by the book so I would guess the record will stand. I was really after 9000 ft and still feel like I can get there with a little more time spent on the finish as well as adding a little more weight to the rocket. I have been working on this for a long time so I figured I'd fly and submit and break my own record later. The flight was very fast and VERY straight, I don't think I could have got a better flight. Special thanks to my Dad, Ryan Reynolds, and Gene E.

Thanks! I have my pre flight photo for Tripoli I will post in a minute. The flight was very fast so I don't think anyone caught it but if photos surface I will post them.

Yes, THE Ryan Reynolds of TCC LOL. He's a big celeb around here after getting his L3 this weekend.

A telemini made beeping noise on the radio while we walked around in an alfalfa field looking confused. I think it was tracked using a Gene.

Yeah the Telemini is a fantastic device, But homing in on it in 18" tall alfalfa was a bit of a challenge.
Thanks to Ryan and Gene for their assistance. My legs are still sore from the walking search and recovery task, but that is my fault
for trying the old method of walk and look.
Great accomplishment maxvelocity. Next time 9k on G impulse...

Next time, the G65 moonburner? Basically identical impulse, but a longer burntime. Can't hurt.

How fast did it go?

Next time, the G65 moonburner? Basically identical impulse, but a longer burntime. Can't hurt.

How fast did it go?

The longburn wont fly straight in a min dia with the offset core therefore negating any altitude gains the long burn might provide. Ask me how I know ;-)

I hit M1.49 on the G150 making this also the fastest version of this rocket.

Re-reading the original post it looks like a typo for the altitude on the Tripoli page.
"Altitude: 9,796 feet
Motor: CTI G150BS"

Thanks! Yes there is an error on the site. I believe I emailed about it but never heard back and it hasn't been changed. 10k is my target goal so I guess I will just have to work on it until I make the website correct!

Congratulations and well done.

With all the attention on big rockcets and big motors, I enjoy hearing about the record flights on the smaller stuff.

Looks like a tower launch with your own design rocket?

Appeared to be a nice day for tracking too.

If you like small motor stuff, stay tuned! This month I will be test flying my F motor version of this rocket and then if all goes well I will order up a Tripoli Raven and go for the F record as well as the I record in my 38mm version.

This was flown from a tower of my design and fab, and the rocket is also all my design and fab.

Thanks for the congrats!

Hi Maxvelocity,
Do you have a Rocksim file you can post? I jsut finished an Apogee Aspire. I'd like to get an idea how close they are. I also would like to know how you mounted your electronics. I plan on dangling a Jolly Logic from the nosecone inside.

Thanks
Tom

Nearly 9,000 feet on a “G”!!
That’s some pretty nifty rocketry.

But wouldn’t the easiest way to get a “G” motor altitude record be to put a G64 or some such, in the payload bay of a minimum dia “N” rocket?
It would get that “G” motor way up there. . . and in a hurry, and you’d even get the G-motor back so you could fly it in another rocket.
Am I missing something?

“I know the voices in my head aren’t real but they often have some really good ideas.”

Congrats!

How did you calculate what the optimum mass was for the G150?

Greg

I kind of used a little rocksim input as well as quite a few flights with this combination. I still don't think I am there. I think I need more weight. This is a work in progress and I really feel I can reach 10K, it will likely have to fly from Blackrock but I think it can be done and will keep trying until I prove myself wrong. This flight hit nearly 9K and the nosecone finish was horrible. I had hit it with several coats of primer and then wet sanded primed and wet sanded and thought I was there. Apparently the white primer really hides flaws because when I hit it with gloss black a TON of flaws showed up. Unfortunately I was running short on time and didn't have time to fix it before the flight. The nosecone is now sitting on my table in filler primer looking awfully smooth! So the next flight should gain a few 100 feet if nothing else maybe more. Whatever happens I will learn a lot about what a poor quality surface does to the flight at these speeds, and that is worth a lot to me.

The longburn wont fly straight in a min dia with the offset core therefore negating any altitude gains the long burn might provide. Ask me how I know ;-)

I hit M1.49 on the G150 making this also the fastest version of this rocket.

Came here looking for this info, as I've been tempted to try the G65 on a min diameter rocket...good to know!!

This is pretty awesome! One question-what was the telemini antenna arrangement? I'm mounted a tracker in my Blackhawk 24 and having to do some thinking since the body tube is carbon and the nose cone is fiber+graphite, so RF becomes an issue with all those conductive surfaces.

Back