Clear coat trouble. Any help?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarhead

Reaction score
I am finishing two builds, an Aerotech Strongarm and an Estes STM-012. These are my first attempt to get a nice finish and I seem to have missed something in the threads I've read.
image.jpg
The Estes (right) nosecone is back to square one because the Rustoleum wrinkled when I applied clear coat. All Rustoleum primer, paint and clear. All painters choice also. I applied the black overcoat on Friday afternoon and the clear this morning. I have no idea why the clear wrinkled but as this is my first go with it I am looking for some direction. I don't want to do anything with the BT because that would be a pain to repaint.
The Strongarm has all Testors master modeler paint from rattle cans. I have Testors model master clear but certainly don't want to louse that one up.
My only guess here is that I may have applied the clear too heavy. I didn't try to get a "wet" look but I managed to get that look on part of the nose cone. Would this cause wrinkles?
Other than that I don't have a clue what I did wrong.
Any suggestions are welcomed.

Take a look at the can for re-coat times for the base coat. If you painted the black yesterday, and tried to clear coat today, it's likely the black was not fully cured. My can of Rustoleum says 48 hours. The longer the better when applying clear coat.

You are correct. I stopped reading when it said "fully dry in24 hours". Had I bothered to read further I would have read "apply clear after 48 hours"
Tanks for the quick reply. Glad I only have to strip the nose cone.

We had a wonderful painting day today so I took advantage, not many of those left for the year :p Sprayed my just finished SEMROC BT80-based rocket with Rustoleum 2X Primer. It was the bottom of the can, didn't quite get the coverage I wanted so it's a second coat tomorrow. I'm completely sold on the 2X paints, best I've used from a spraybomb. While I'm doing that one in primer again I'll be clearcoating a purple and silver one also, another big BT80 rocket.

WHEEEEeeeeee!!!:happydeer:

I've never used the Rusto 2x clear. Use only the Rusto Crystal Clear Enamel as it seems fairly inert in my experience.

On the other hand, I usually wait a week or several before applying it over the matte textured Rusto fluoro pink I favor.

Certified Rocket Monkey

Got the Strong Arm done with the Testors this evening. Looks great. Still not ready to handle so no pictures but it looks good. TenSTM 012 will have to wait until Wed or Thurs since I just put the final top coat on.
The moral of this story is to read the entire instruction set before beginning. Oddly enough that's what my step-father told me many years ago.
Thanks for the reminder.

I have used clear coats from cans before with mixed success. I feel that they are too "hot" for the paint. They also react badly to decals. I only use Future Floor Polish now and it's easy to apply & can be used indoors...

Back