X-Ray Upscale Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
I actually started this project over a year ago. Bill2654 graciously gave me some balsa blocks, and I found some 3" OD clear tubing at McMaster-Carr, so I decided to build an upscale X-Ray. The original X-Ray is OOP, but I had one as a kid, so this will be a lot of fun for me. When I first started this project, my goal was to turn my first nose cone to fit the clear tubing. The clear tube is 2-7/8" ID, so a stock nose cone wouldn't fit it. Well, that failed miserably, and it kind of lost steam.

I have since successfully turned three nose cones, two 3" and one 5-1/2". I decided to try to salvage the original balsa cone, but it was a no-go. But then Rocketgeek101 suggested that I turn the failed balsa cone into a smaller cone for a different project. Well, I liked that idea! I bought some 3-1/2" square, 16" long basswood that I'll be using for the X-Ray's nose cone.

View attachment x-ray_xl_bt-70h_29mm.ork

screenshot1.jpg

basswood2.jpg

Last edited:
When I originally glued up the balsa for the nose cone, I also glued some up for the transition. The problem I had with the balsa nose cone was that I turned it too small. So for the transition, I got a smaller 2" faceplate for the lathe, so I could use a piece of the clear tube to use as a guide to turn it to the correct diameter. My 3" faceplate has a center hole, so it's easy to center it when you attach it to the wood. But this 2" faceplate is open in the center. To center it, I drew diagonal lines across the end of the block, and lined up the screw holes with the lines. I took a piece of 3/16" brass rod and sharpened one end of it, to use as a center punch to mark the hole locations.

104_rod.jpg

105_rod.jpg

106_rod.jpg

107_rod.jpg

108_block.jpg

I drilled the pilot hole for the first #8 x 2-1/2" wood screw, then screwed it in to hold the faceplate in place when I marked the rest of the holes. I removed the faceplate again, to drill the rest of the pilot holes.

109_faceplate.jpg

110_faceplate.jpg

111_faceplate.jpg

112_faceplate.jpg

113_faceplate.jpg

There are eight mounting holes in the faceplate. I was going to use four screws in it, but the package came with six. So I went ahead and used all six screws. I wanted a little extra holding power, because balsa is soft, and the free end wouldn't be supported during turning. As I did with my successful nose cones, I trimmed the corners off the block so there would be less to remove during roughing.

114_faceplate.jpg

115_trim.jpg

116_trim.jpg

117_lathe.jpg

118_lathe.jpg

And the initial roughing the block round. Sure makes a mess!

119_lathe.jpg

120_lathe.jpg

121_lathe.jpg

122_lathe.jpg

123_shavings.jpg

More roughing. That new faceplate is working pretty well! I was afraid it wouldn't provide enough support, but so far so good. Still have a lot of material to remove.

124_lathe.jpg

125_faceplate.jpg

126_lathe.jpg

127_lathe.jpg

128_faceplate.jpg

Some videos of the process. It was very wobbly at first, but I was able to rough it out no problem.

[YOUTUBE]XuuHRuxX8ew[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]cwD4D4Bud6Y[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]L547KOiWTQQ[/YOUTUBE]

The piece of clear tube is to gauge the large OD of the transition.

129_lathe.jpg

130_end.jpg

131_shavings.jpg

132_tube.jpg

133_tube.jpg

I parted off the free end of the piece. Should have used a hacksaw, the parting tool tore up the end grain a bit. No worries, it should be fine. The lines are for the two shoulders.

134_end.jpg

135_end.jpg

136_end.jpg

137_marks.jpg

138_shoulder.jpg

You might find it useful to use a center on the tailstock when roughing out the shape,
it will put less stress on the screws in the faceplate. Remove the tailstock center when
you are close to final shape.
TimE

More work on the shoulders. I went ahead and cut the body tube to length, so I could use the short piece to size the aft shoulder.

139_shoulder.jpg

140_shoulder.jpg

141_shoulder.jpg

142_body_tube.jpg

143_body_tube.jpg

Got both shoulders sized. Now to start shaping the transition.

144_shoulder.jpg

145_shoulder.jpg

146_shoulder.jpg

147_shoulder.jpg

148_shoulder.jpg

Like I said, I've turned three successful nose cones so far, but I've never turned a transition. I had no idea how to proceed from this point. The best I could come up with was to turn the tool rest to the approximate angle of the transition, and use that as a guide to cut it.

149_transition.jpg

150_transition.jpg

151_transition.jpg

152_transition.jpg

153_transition.jpg

I must say, I'm happy with it! I did a dry fit with the clear tube and body tube, and it looked pretty good.

159_transition.jpg

160_transition.jpg

161_transition.jpg

162_transition.jpg

163_transition.jpg

It looks good, but I noticed the edge of the aft shoulder wasn't quite square.

165_transition.jpg

166_transition.jpg

167_transition.jpg

168_shoulder.jpg

169_shoulder.jpg

I touched it up with the point of a skew chisel and sandpaper, and it looks a lot better. Initially, I was planning on drilling a large hole and embedding an eyebolt in resin. But I decided to drill all the way through it and use a long eyebolt instead.

170_shoulder.jpg

171_drill.jpg

172_drill.jpg

173_drill.jpg

174_transition.jpg

Where are your safety glasses, sir? Norm would be so angry, and I don't think you would like him when he is angry....
Seriously, they are important, and you can get them with 'cheaters' now... I scratched my eyes with sawdust years ago, it was not a fun time.

If I can't find a long enough eyebolt, I can always use threaded rod and an eyenut.

175_eyebolt.jpg

176_eyenut.jpg

Very very nice work Jim! That's a top notch transition you've turned! I tell you this rocket is going to look sweet roaring off the pad. Since the payload bay is clear, it would be an excellent opportunity to get some HD inflight videos.... Maybe a strobe light or two for some night flying... Just food for thought.:wink:

Now that you have gained a sence of confidence in your ability to turn nose cones, transistions and boat tails, should we expect an increase in your scratch building? Just think, all those childhood favorites are now possible!!!

I wanted the nose cone to be 10", plus a 1" shoulder. So I cut the basswood to 12", to allow for the tip. I cut the block to 3-1/4" x 3-1/4", so I wouldn't have as much material to remove. Attaching the face plate was the same as for the transition.

177_basswood.jpg

178_basswood.jpg

180_basswood.jpg

181_faceplate.jpg

182_faceplate.jpg

I trimmed the corners like before. Since this block is so much longer, I supported the free end with the live center in the tail stock.

183_faceplate.jpg

186_basswood.jpg

187_lathe.jpg

189_lathe.jpg

190_lathe.jpg

I roughed it round, then cut the shoulder. The shoulder ended up a tiny bit too small, but it shouldn't matter as it will be painted.

191_roughing.jpg

192_roughing.jpg

193_shoulder.jpg

194_shoulder.jpg

195_shoulder.jpg

I finished roughing the forward end, then started on the shaping. I kind of had to experiment with different chisels, to find what worked. Fortunately, I have lots of chisels!

196_roughing.jpg

197_roughing.jpg

198_shaping.jpg

199_shaping.jpg

chisels1.jpg

Shaping and more shaping. It's fun watching a nose cone emerge from a big chunk of wood.

200_shaping.jpg

201_shaping.jpg

202_shaping.jpg

203_shaping.jpg

204_shaping.jpg

I'm almost afraid to part off the tip. I've had spindles go all whoppy jawed when I removed the live center before. Yes, that's a technical woodturners term. :tongue:

210_shaping.jpg

211_shaping.jpg

212_shaping.jpg

213_shaping.jpg

214_shaping.jpg

Back