X-Ray Upscale Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to paint a single fin black. That means lots of masking. I used a combination of Frog delicate surface tape, Tamiya tape, and two garbage bags. I think I got it all covered.

452_masking.jpg

453_masking.jpg

454_masking.jpg

455_masking.jpg

456_masking.jpg

457_masking.jpg

458_masking.jpg

459_masking.jpg

460_masking.jpg

461_masking.jpg

No runs, no drips, no bugs. I'm very happy with how this turned out. I even saved the bags.

468_black.jpg

469_black.jpg

470_black.jpg

471_black.jpg

472_black.jpg

473_black.jpg

474_black.jpg

475_bags.jpg

Yes, there are visible imperfections. But I like it! I like it a lot! It looks like an X-Ray!

476_X-Ray.jpg

477_X-Ray.jpg

Time for retention. Looking at the bum, I realized I didn't leave much room for my usual retention clips.

478_bum.jpg

479_bum.jpg

I got socket head screws, but they were still a little tight. So I used the Dremel with a 1/2" sanding drum, and ground away a little of the inside of the clips.

491_retention.jpg

492_retention.jpg

493_retention.jpg

494_retention.jpg

495_retention.jpg

496_retention.jpg

497_retention.jpg

498_retention.jpg

499_retention.jpg

500_retention.jpg

That seemed to help. I was able to get the clips screwed down tight, although the heads of the screws still rub. I need to put the clips in the vise and grind them some more.

501_retention.jpg

502_retention.jpg

503_retention.jpg

504_retention.jpg

Time to work on recovery. I had attached a short length of Kevlar to the eyebolt inside, so I pulled it through the back of the motor tube to tie the long Kevlar to it. I decided to try the Nerf dart trick to reduce the chance for a zipper. I sewed one stitch through the dart and Kevlar to hold it in position.

505_recovery.jpg

506_recovery.jpg

507_dart.jpg

508_dart.jpg

509_dart.jpg

510_dart.jpg

The smallest Nomex blanket I have is 12x12, which may be too big. If I have to, I can cut it smaller. But even with the big blanket, the Kevlar and 48" thin mil chute fit in the 2.2" body tube.

520_recovery.jpg

521_recovery.jpg

522_recovery.jpg

523_recovery.jpg

I noticed that the threads of the bolt didn't go all the way through the threads in the eyenut. So I drilled the hole in the transition a little deeper with a Forstner bit. Perfect. I put some Loctite 242 on the threads, and tightened the bolt.

511_eye-nut.jpg

512_eye-nut.jpg

513_eye-nut.jpg

514_eye-nut.jpg

515_eye-nut.jpg

516_eye-nut.jpg

517_eye-nut.jpg

518_eye-nut.jpg

519_loctite.jpg

I recently spotted JB Weld brand blue and red thread locker. Using the blue and it looks pretty good.

Looking forward to seeing the X-Ray boost.

For retention clips of that length I use 18 ga stainless sheet. ( Cut to length for forming and 3/8" to 1/2" wide) It's a lot easier to work with than that size aluminum stock. The only difference is that I bend the end that goes on the motor in to a "U" channel so that the aft closure is trapped. I know 18.ga doesn't sound like much but I've had it hold up to K700s with no deformation of the clips. (x2) I've even held J350s in with one with no problems. The "U" is the secret since it doesn't allow the clip to wiggle loose or kick to the side.

I recently spotted JB Weld brand blue and red thread locker. Using the blue and it looks pretty good.

Looking forward to seeing the X-Ray boost.

I didn't know JB weld made thread lock. I ordered an H180W from BAR for the flight on the 4th.

For retention clips of that length I use 18 ga stainless sheet. ( Cut to length for forming and 3/8" to 1/2" wide) It's a lot easier to work with than that size aluminum stock. The only difference is that I bend the end that goes on the motor in to a "U" channel so that the aft closure is trapped. I know 18.ga doesn't sound like much but I've had it hold up to K700s with no deformation of the clips. (x2) I've even held J350s in with one with no problems. The "U" is the secret since it doesn't allow the clip to wiggle loose or kick to the side.

I used to use 3/32" x 3/8" brass. I'm not sure why I switched to the bigger aluminum.

X-Ray has a passenger!

troll_30.jpg

troll_31.jpg

troll_32.jpg

Attachments

• troll_28.jpg
    troll_28.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 14
  • troll_29.jpg
    troll_29.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 13
That's funny. I used to think about abducting my sister's mini-troll dolls back in the late 60's to do that very thing with.

Take care,

Duane

That's a very cool looking upscale Jim,really came out just like the oop model.

Back